Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Bluffergod

Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Post by Bluffergod » 17 Apr 2018, 21:14

I have i5 6600k, not overclocked, got it on sale 2 years ago same price as the 6600

It used to run at 3.78ghz on desktop on high performance etc or in some games

Now it never ever exceeds 3.57 Ghz

Is my turbo boost on? how do I look
I cant go in bios because my keyboard is cmstorm quickfire tk and when pc open the delete key cant be pressed due to numberpad being turned off while opening pc

I assume its on since its running over 3.50ghz? but why doesnt it ever go above? just noticed that since I brought my pc to the shop last month

Is there a program to look or enable turbo boost without going in bios?
It never goes above 3.57.....

lexlazootin

Re: Is my turbo boost on?

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 02:33

Your quickfire tk might have some dip switches on the back that will fix the DELETE issue. From what i remember some have to enable 125hz polling rate to work with some motherboard bios or something :?

The boost frequency is actually 3.9GHz and it should hit that only on a single core and when not limited by temperature/power/TDP.

Do you know what cpu cooler and mobo you have? you can probably OC it to 4.5+~GHz pretty easily which would give you a massive boost in performance for free.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2018, 02:41

1. Buy a cheap $10 keyboard just for that purpose. Or check if another key works (like F8, F9, F10, F11, ...) Sometimes this bring up a UEFI menu with boot options, one of which is "enter setup" which goes into the BIOS settings.

2. Check your temperatures. High temps can prevent high boost clocks. Clean your PC.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mello

Post by mello » 18 Apr 2018, 02:54

Use HWiNFO to check both clocks (incl. turbo boost) and temps - https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/hwinfo-portable

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 18 Apr 2018, 16:11

ok put my other keyboard went in bios

it said that turbo boost is on auto
i put it on enabled

each core seem to be on auto, i dont think i could remove auto to simply enable it

anyway

still stuck at 3.57 ghz max, i dont understand

i use to be able to sit at 3.78ghz on google chrome etc for a long time
now it never exceeeds 3.57 in windows or games

mello

Post by mello » 18 Apr 2018, 16:38

Make sure that you are using High Performance power plan and not Balanced ?

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 18 Apr 2018, 16:55

mello wrote:Make sure that you are using High Performance power plan and not Balanced ?
I am

Thinking of overclocking though now since I can go in bios now

Does turbo boost need to be turned off when overclocking?

and im a newb obv, i heard i can keep the voltage on auto (i think my cpu voltage is at 1.22 not sure)

anyway my i5 6600k..running at 100% always, usually average 21-23 degree on google chrome and can go up to usually 31 degree 32 max while gaming pubg etc

usually around 29 gaming after an hour or so

What is a safe cpu clock for my i5 6600k can i use to begin with thats great?
is 4.2 ghz for i5 6600k too high to start if voltage on auto?

what is considered a low, medium, semi high and high overclock for this cpu?

Bluffergod

update on my cpu overclock topic

Post by Bluffergod » 18 Apr 2018, 20:18

i5 6600k
gtx 1070

im newb obv

my cpu wouldnt go over 3.57 ever

id get 90% cpu usage average, sometimes hit 99-100 and get spikes
overclocked to 3.90 an hour ago

my temps went from 31 ish under load to about 40
voltage on auto

my fps is clearly better but now i have about 96-100% cpu usage in pubg on very low everyting, gpu usage is low as usual (60%)

if i put everything on ultra = i have around 95-100% cpu and gpu usage

Is this a bottleneck? how do I fix this massive cpu usage always when gaming? it isnt high when not gaming

I have NOTHING on this computer, i just reinstalled windows 2 days ago
I disabled all these start up manager program that load up at start up and
I also turned off all these windows 10 background apps to stop running in background via the windows 10 settings

how can i fix this high cpu usage in pubg?!?! will overclocking higher help
(will prob go to 4.1 ish and see if it runs better...3.9 was just to test)

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 21:01

What cooler, Mobo and PSU do you have?

Checking temps when running chrome is pretty useless, you need to run a stresstest like Prime95
guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download

You want to run custom and in Min/Max FFT you want to type 1344 and run FFT size to 15

This will really get your temps up and is a pretty good "worst case" for your CPU. if it can handle this it's a good chance it will handle anything else you throw at it.

But first it's kinda important to know the other things like the cooler, mobo and PSU so you don't just burn something out :lol:

lexlazootin

Re: update on my cpu overclock topic

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 21:16

dude, you should really post in the other thread.
[Editor -- done! Threads merged]

Having both at 100% is not a bottle neck, it's the exact opposite. Also temps at idle are pretty useless. Auto can be a bitch because it might adjust your voltage when raising your Ratio and that might be a issue if your cooler/psu/mobo can't handle it. i think you should answer the post in the other thread.

CPU useage in gaming is a good thing, it means it's getting used up. if it was only 10% that means you have a GPU bottle neck, it's not going to be the same for every game.