Need Help in choosing a monitor. PLEASE!!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
3xpert

Need Help in choosing a monitor. PLEASE!!

Post by 3xpert » 18 Apr 2018, 13:44

Hello, I'm stuck with choosing a gaming monitor to play CS:GO with the lowest input lag which is not over priced as my budged is $350, I have found some monitors with 240hz that is below or on my budget but it have freesync and I have a Nvidia gtx 1070 GPU, I heard Freesync and GSync is useless for CS:GO but im not sure as there are mix thoughts regarding that. And is it possible to turnoff the Freesync feature and use the 240hz with nvidia GPU? Or is there a big difference with 144hz and 240hz? I used a 144hz before. Can you please recommend the best lowest input gaming monitor for CS:GO on a budget of $350. Thank You!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Need Help in choosing a monitor. PLEASE!!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2018, 13:59

3xpert wrote:Hello, I'm stuck with choosing a gaming monitor to play CS:GO with the lowest input lag which is not over priced as my budged is $350, I have found some monitors with 240hz that is below or on my budget but it have freesync and I have a Nvidia gtx 1070 GPU, I heard Freesync and GSync is useless for CS:GO but im not sure as there are mix thoughts regarding that. And is it possible to turnoff the Freesync feature and use the 240hz with nvidia GPU? Or is there a big difference with 144hz and 240hz? I used a 144hz before. Can you please recommend the best lowest input gaming monitor for CS:GO on a budget of $350. Thank You!
GSYNC/FreeSync (VRR technologies) also adds other engineering to a monitor that are non-VRR related.

For example, NVIDIA engineering for GSYNC also adds other non-GSYNC improvements:
-- Overdrive calibration
-- Optional ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) setting

Historically there was a rough trend of GSYNC usually having less lag in non-GSYNC mode than FreeSync monitors in non-FreeSync mode, but this is changing, since FreeSync 2 put more rigorous certification for FreeSync monitors. So it's not necessarily as clear-cut these days.

The bottom line is you can turn on/off VRR, and if you ever play other games for fun occasionally, the VRR feature feels like a free graphics card upgrade. Given how expensive GPU's are due to cryptocurrency overpricing, the premium of GSYNC can sometimes be a bargain anyway, depending on how picky/fussy you are. If you play other games only 10% of the time (even say, you're still itching to play a solo game of Bioshock/Deus Ex style game), it can still make other monitor features worth it, even if they lay dormant most of the time if you're owning the monitor for 3-5 years. But if you only play CS:GO and you upgrade monitor every year, then perhaps VRR doesn't matter to you if your framerates are almost always near 240fps anyway...

VRR does tend to be less important (in general) for CS:GO because CS:GO usually runs at framerates above refresh rate, and VRR benefits more when your framerates are fluctuating much more wildly all over the place (like in other games like PUBG or Battlefield series etc) -- it can be such a chore to aim in some of those engines that adding VRR improves things quite a bit. Whereas it doesn't affect CS:GO nearly as much. How long will you have the monitor? Will you always only play CS:GO for that time duration?

GSYNC can be turned on/off, and sometimes it really helps certain games (e.g. PUBG reportedly benefits more from VRR than CS:GO does). 240Hz is about 1/2 as much motion blur as 120Hz, which can help aiming if you are trying to avoid lag of strobing.

On that note, $350 almost definitely means you won't be able to buy GSYNC and 240Hz (except during holiday sales when Dell AW2518H's were on Black Friday and Boxing Day sales impressively almost within your budget).

So on that note, since you may be only playing CS:GO and you might be upgrading your monitor often (e.g. every year), then Dell AW2518Hf and Viewsonic XG2530 are the ones that currently I recommend in your budget range that won't frameskip at 240Hz (like the AOC and ACER 240Hz FreeSync monitors....sigh). No GSYNC monitor has a frameskipping issue as far as we are aware.

There was a number of frameskipping 240Hz FreeSync monitors (In non-FreeSync mode, they only displayed approximately 234 unique refresh cycles per second, skipping 6 refresh cycles per second). On several models, this is fixable with a CRU tweak, except for the Acer XF270HA where the frameskipping fix is as of yet unknown.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

3xpert

Post by 3xpert » 18 Apr 2018, 17:57

So these two monitors Dell AW2518Hf and Viewsonic XG2530 won't have the frame skipping issue you mentioned? And would I be able to disable freesync mode from monitor settings? I don't need GSYNC since I only play CS:GO and nothing else, I hope your recommended two monitors for my budget wont have any issue with frame skipping with a Nvidia GPU and 240hz

3xpert

Post by 3xpert » 18 Apr 2018, 18:11

Also I got a offer of $350 for "Acer XB252Q BMIPRZ", Is this one better compared to the ones you recommended?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2018, 18:33

The XB252Q is a GSYNC monitor and if you had to get an Acer 240Hz, that's definitely the best Acer to get.
(Just don't get the FreeSync version of Acer 240Hz which frameskips without a known fix....yet)

$350 is a great price for an XB252Q, so if the offer still stands, go for it.

XB252Q is the exact same monitor that Jorim tested extensively for the GSYNC 101 series.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

3xpert

Post by 3xpert » 18 Apr 2018, 18:44

So are you reccomending the Acer 240hz GSYNC over the Alienwear 240hz freesync? I don't actually need GSYNC since i heard its bad for CS:GO and I will be only playing it on it, So lets forget about the GSYNC and help me choose between the Acer XB252Q and Alienware 240hz, And please look on the features and lowest input lag for FPS/CS:GO on both monitors when you recommend from both. Thank for the fast reply and being so helpful

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 20:31

I don't actually need GSYNC since i heard its bad for CS:GO and I will be only playing it on it
Pretty big misconception that annoys me because it's pretty much based in nothing.

G-Sync is a chip inside of the monitor that insures that you don't have any issues with frame skipping/input latency/pixel response. It's a way Nvidia can insure the monitor is performing pretty top notch with no issues. even if you don't use G-Sync the added bonus of the better response time is worth it for me. It's not like only G-Sync monitors can perform well but there are a lot of monitors currently that fail in department or another.

Even if you think you won't like G-Sync i serious recommend you give it a go, Adaptive sync tech is pretty much all upsides with pretty much no downsides, it removes screen tearing and stuttering related to tearing with no added latency. The only reason people don't use it is because they are uninformed and believe it to be "bad" with no real reason behind it.

Just make sure if you enable G-Sync you cap your fps below your maximum refreshrate (like at 230fps) so that you don't just hit 240 and get V-Synced :P