Trying to choose which 240Hz monitor to buy

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Trying to choose which 240Hz monitor to buy

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2018, 20:18

lexlazootin wrote:woops, i didn't know they actually added anything to the XL2411P, i thought it was just the XL2411 with DP.
Actually I'm not 100% sure about the OD gain setting (need to doublecheck -- I may have gotten this one confused), but I know the same 60Hz singlestrobe feature exists on BenQ XL2411Z, ZOWIE XL2411 and ZOWIE XL2411P. This is an important feature for a few people who need the best 60Hz console motion blur reduction available (as imperfect as it is, it's still the best available for 60Hz console users), and don't mind flicker.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fozzy fosbourne

Post by fozzy fosbourne » 19 May 2018, 21:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:I would totally not recommend the Xl2411P as the lower end Benq have brutally bad response times.
Right tool for the right job. Choose your tool wisely:

The XL2411P has quite great redeeming features:
- There is factory menu options to tweak the overdrive called "OD GAIN". The response looks much, much more decent when done. Annoying, but it helps.
- It does shine for console gaming - Really low 60Hz console lag. (All 240Hz monitors currently has more "60Hz lag" even if they are much lower lag at 240Hz)
- It is also one of the better "60Hz CRT simulation" (blur reduction for consoles) when using single-strobe mode, if you do not mind flicker. Zero blur for fast scrolling platformers. Not even ULMB or LightBoost can do this for consoles. It is currently creme de la creme if you loved CRT clarity, okay with somewhat dimmer picture, and are *fully* flicker-tolerant. Not perfect, but all other desktop 60Hz blur reduction options are worse than XL2411, XL2420 and XL2720 (unless you get a HDTV with a blur-reducing Game Mode)
- And is hugely calibrateable to better-than-ULMB crosstalk with Large Vertical Totals + Tweaking (Strobe Utility). At least at 120Hz and under. Not easy to get there, but I achieved less strobe crosstalk than ULMB with a careful strobe calibration + Large Vertical Totals that is fully end-user accessible.
Do you happen to have your settings available to share? I'm looking into purchasing this monitor and would like to reference something to start for calibrating the overdrive and crosstalk

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2018, 15:13

fozzy fosbourne wrote:Do you happen to have your settings available to share? I'm looking into purchasing this monitor and would like to reference something to start for calibrating the overdrive and crosstalk
To get started quickly, use Blur Busters Strobe Utility.

The most common VT1350 tweak is documented at the bottom of http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility

Some users have successfully pulled off VT1500 -- produces even better crosstalk-reduction results -- and some timings are listed in this thread.

Keep in mind BenQ ZOWIE is not known for good colors, but they have the lowest-lag strobing in the industry and the most flexible end-user strobe tuning (largest number of motion blur reduction adjustments) in the industry so they are still a favourite when blur reduction flexibility is higher priority than colors/etc or overdrive artifacts (in non-blur-reduction).

In addition, the XL2411P is the newest BenQ monitor that is still compatible with single-strobe 60Hz with consoles too (successful double-image-free motion blur reduction for 60fps PlayStation and XBox games -- if you can tolerate flicker).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!