Display scaling on an Asus VG248QE?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Speedfreak

Display scaling on an Asus VG248QE?

Post by Speedfreak » 26 Apr 2018, 05:25

Is there anyone that knows how to get display scaling on this monitor with Nvidia drivers?
I am only using GPU Scaling, it's the only option now. My Alienware AW2518HF had display scaling. And what's weird is I can't get lightboost to work at 120hz. I just wanted to test it, has anyone tested trace free on this VG248QE?

My AOC had overdrive and it was best off, otherwise I felt input lag.

I'm used an AOC G2460PQU before this for twitch shooting and I had to lower my DPI from 800 to 600 just to hit decently, because this monitor seems to have less inpug lag. Yet I get the input lag from GPU scaling.

lexlazootin

Re: Display scaling on an Asus VG248QE?

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Apr 2018, 06:52

You're probably right, it might not have display scaling.

You're probably convincing yourself you're feeling input latency when there isn't any. Because frankly changing your DPI because of latency doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Also GPU scaling doesn't have any added latency.

Speedfreak

Post by Speedfreak » 26 Apr 2018, 15:41

lexlazootin wrote:You're probably right, it might not have display scaling.

You're probably convincing yourself you're feeling input latency when there isn't any. Because frankly changing your DPI because of latency doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Also GPU scaling doesn't have any added latency.
I play one game where it does matter but basically, higher ping or hardware latency makes me raise the mouse speed or dpi to aim faster, where less ping or hardware latency does the opposite. It's an old game, so it wouldn't make sense in modern games.
I tested Display scaling vs GPU scaling, and display scaling was better, I noticed my mouse moved faster, movement was more fluid.
With GPU scaling, it seems like my up and down movement is hampered. Anyways, it'd be nice if we could get display scaling back, the Asus G248QE used to have it... I'll test some older graphic drivers to see if it returns.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Apr 2018, 21:57

Pretty classic case of Confirmation bias, we've been over this stuff like 1000 times here and it doesn't make a difference. I play a lot of old game and speedrun them and i can tell you I've never heard of anything you are saying.

Speedfreak

Post by Speedfreak » 28 Apr 2018, 14:42

I don't doubt that GPU scaling doesn't add latentcy, I'm saying it felt faster using display scaling, which felt like input lag, it could have been something different, but if you try GPU scaling, and use fullscreen or no scaling, then you'll notice the mouse feels faster when aiming in an fps game. Is it input lag or is it the way the screen is scaled differently? Who can answer that? I just know it how it feels.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2018, 13:09

FreeSync monitors do not have LightBoost but they may have different blur reduction modes under a different trade name, see list of LightBoost clones. Unfortunately, AW2518HF is not one of them, you will need to buy a different monitor if you want a blur reduction mode. But the ASUS VG248QE does.

As for input lag of GPU scaling, that's a complex topic. Most of the time GPU scaling doesn't affect lag (anymore), but it's not a universal yes. You didn't mention the GPU that you currently use, and whether or not you use a second monitor (that can have a bigger effect -- enabling two monitors especially of divergent Hz can unfortunately have weird effects on the input lag of the primary monitor due to the way some graphics drivers work). There can be many red-herrings where a lag cause is actually something different than expected (like the moment a multimonitor goes divergent-Hz, things go awry lag-wise) so it's important to know your config.

Higher vs lower resolution scaling can trigger behaviours in different graphics cards and/or different monitors that are rather unexpected in a fraction of cases.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Speedfreak

Post by Speedfreak » 30 Apr 2018, 19:21

I meant lightboost on the asus wouldn't work. But no I don't use two monitors and I have an EVGA GTX 1070 FTW.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2018, 22:28

To enable LightBoost on VG248QE, you ideally want ToastyX Strobelight. See LightBoost HOWTO.

If it would not initialize, then you may need to use a different cable (DVI or DisplayPort) or a different port on your graphics card because the LightBoost reinitialization requires DDC/CI. Most problems initializing LightBoost has often been solved by switching ports or switching cables -- a missing DDC/CI wire on a DVI cable can cause this problem.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!