hz question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gEM

hz question

Post by gEM » 03 May 2018, 19:22

i have a sony gdm fw 900 but it will not allow me to choose above 85hz for any resolution. the monitor is supposed to go up to 160. my card is new and good what could be the issue?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: hz question

Post by RealNC » 03 May 2018, 19:52

Not sure how CRTs are treated by Windows these days. You probably need to make your own EDID with CRU. Works with AMD and NVidia cards. This tool allows you to replace the monitor's EDID with your own local version (it tells the graphics driver to ignore the monitor's EDID completely, it does NOT modify the monitor or anything like that.)

Make sure to use CRT timings, not LCD timings when editing your modes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

gEM

Post by gEM » 03 May 2018, 22:14

i did that and i clicked on make a new profile but now it asks me to input values for front+back porch and synch width and i dont know what those are. i also have no idea what my monitor can do at a certain resolution so how do i pick a hz thats safe?

also should i do anything for pixel clock?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 May 2018, 23:09

You need to use CRT timings. Select "Automatic - CRT" in the list at the top. This will fill out the values for you. You only need to input resolution width and height and hertz.

You can only add up to 4 modes in the "detailed res" box, put your most used modes there. The "standard res" box is probably not useful for CRTs, I'm not sure. But you can add an extension block that gives you 6 more modes.

After you added your modes, click OK until you're out of CRU. Then run restart.exe or restart64.exe (if you're on 64-bit Windows). If you get no image, press F8 to revert.

Then check your nvidia control panel to see if the new mode and refresh rate is available.

What modes you can add depends on the capabilities of the monitor. The modes you add should NOT exceed the maximum vertical refresh (Hz) or horizontal refresh (kHz) of the monitor.

You can also experiment with editing the monitor capabilities in CRU too (click "Edit" next to the monitor name at the top.) The limits you enter there should be found in the documentation/specs of your monitor.

Remember that every time you edit something in CRU, you need to exit CRU with "OK" and run restart64.exe.

To revert all settings to the original state (as if you've never used CRU,) run reset-all.exe and reboot. This will delete and undo every CRU mode.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

gEM

Post by gEM » 04 May 2018, 03:34

ok thanx a bunch it worked out!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 May 2018, 03:45

Glad it works. Remember to export your EDID to a file so that you can import it again later after driver updates (custom EDIDs get lost after driver updates.)