Looking for monitor with ULMB+GSync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Krzycho564

Looking for monitor with ULMB+GSync

Post by Krzycho564 » 04 May 2018, 15:19

Hello, I am owner of Benq XL2411, monitor is fine but blur in games was annoying, motion blur reduction was good in this monitor but it wasn't bright enough for me.

That's why I'm looking for a monitor with Gsync and ULMB or similar option that can get rid of blur with high brightness, right now I'm interested in Asus PG248Q, but I wonder about brightness in ULMB mode and if trick with gsync+ulmb at the same time will work, however it is not that important as bright ULMB.
I would like to add that I will use ULMB mostly in games with 60-110Fps

Thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for monitor with ULMB+GSync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2018, 17:02

In general, the ULMB monitors that includes 144Hz ULMB are the brightest (300 nits) and those are the 25 inch 240Hz monitors.

For the brightest ULMB, go:
-- Go 240Hz
-- Go 25 inch models (unless going IPS or VA)

They are quite noticeably brighter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Krzycho564

Post by Krzycho564 » 04 May 2018, 18:14

With 240hz I have BenQ XL2540 or ASUS ROG STRIX XG258Q I dont know, if they are fine.

Do you know where could I see how bright ULMB is? On yt couldnt find ant video

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2018, 16:56

Krzycho564 wrote:With 240hz I have BenQ XL2540 or ASUS ROG STRIX XG258Q I dont know, if they are fine.

Do you know where could I see how bright ULMB is? On yt couldnt find ant video
BenQ XL2546 is specced at 320 nits with DyAc permanently enabled. Google-Fu search. That's only 80cd/m2 dimmer than XL2540 with blur reduction turned off, which is quite impressive.

Acer XB252Q measured by Jorim (during GSYNC 101), we did not publish but it was 310 nits at 144Hz ULMB. Other quick checks on TFTCentral reviews of 240Hz ULMB (e.g. PG258Q review), show similar numbers (300 nits) for all 240Hz GSYNC monitors at 144Hz ULMB at the 25 inch panel size. So it has become a reliable rule of thumb now.

Also, as a rule of thumb, 25" ULMB is brighter than 27" ULMB. It is not a hard and fast rule, but it almost always happens -- that the 24" or 25" displays tend to successfully make their backlights a bit brighter. This will probably change with future monitors though, but this has held true at the moment.

Thus, my general recommendation.

As a general rule of thumb, when it's done on the same panel, at the same size, the other panels (under the same brand-name blur reduction) tends to be brighter. Also keep in mind for BenQ's case -- there are two different blur reduction modes in different models of BenQ monitors -- BenQ DyAc (more well-calibrated, brighter, often requires Factory Menu to disable) is brighter than unofficial BenQ blur reduction (non-DyAc, often requires Factory Menu to enable).

Keep in mind XG258Q has ELMB (ASUS brand) and the PG258Q has ULMB (NVIDIA brand). I don't know if the nits of the two are similar. I suspect that the GSYNC premium also probably mandates some minimum ULMB brightnesses, but I have not measured the non-GSYNC 240Hz monitors to see if the ELMB is as bright as ULMB.

For blur reduction brightness measurements, TFTCentral and RTings does that, so you can check the numbers there.

You can check the monitor lists too in the signature:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Krzycho564

Post by Krzycho564 » 05 May 2018, 18:24

Thanks for tons of usefull informations, it looks like I had 250nits on my old GL2250 so I should be fine.

But I really can't stop thinking about ULMB in 60-70hz+G-Sync as far I know it is possible to do G-Sync+ULMB on PG258Q but can I still force ULMB to work on 60hz and will it look similar to what I could see on XL2411 but brighter with normal look colours?

Dyac looks good, but I read somewhere on this forum that it needs atleast 85hz to work, so on 60Fps it will cause double image effect.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 May 2018, 15:09

Currently, 60Hz ULMB hack and ULMB+GSYNC hack works on all the TN 240Hz GSYNC monitors at the moment, and IPS 165Hz GSYNC monitors too.

Also, all monitors that support the simultaneous GSYNC+ULMB hack also support the 60Hz ULMB hack -- if the monitor supports one or the other, it typically supports the other.

Yes, BenQ only supports single-strobe on XL2411, XL2420, and XL2720 -- If you need 60Hz single-strobe, those are the models you want, but they are not particularly bright compared to the brighter 300-nit strobe displays. Keep in mind that 60Hz single-strobe is extremely flickery, but is useful for 60fps-content such as emulators.

Other models will support it too, just a little more homework needed than "240Hz TN GSYNC" or "165Hz IPS GSYNC" rules of thumbs (always ULMB 60Hz and always ULMB+GSYNC capable). For example, you'll run into situations where the PG278Q does not support it, but PG279Q does.