BenQ XL2411P scrolling horizontal lines

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2411P scrolling horizontal lines

Post by RealNC » 12 May 2018, 07:27

Well, let's call it "defective by design" then. This is a defect that they deemed acceptable. I guess Acer (and other brands selling these) don't care too much about the quality of the products they put their name on. Otherwise, they wouldn't sell monitors with such a big image quality issue.

Unfortunately, nobody is willing to call them out on it, because all sites want to stay on good terms with the manufacturers. So this garbage will continue to be sold, and the majority of sites will continue to pretend that everything is fine.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 12 May 2018, 08:52

I don't blame Acer, I've seen this 1000 times, it doesn't matter if it's shit, the customers still request it. and if you don't make/get the product people will just buy it from someone else.

And to be completely honest i would still buy it anyways. it only happens sometimes and it's extremely faint on not noticeable when gaming 99% of the time.

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 12 May 2018, 19:32

lexlazootin wrote:Acer:

"In regards to the scanline issue, I have been provided with an update. Scanlines are an effect caused by rapidly changing refresh rate. Variations in the refresh rate create an increased holding time that results in the accumulation of an electrical charge. When this charge is released, it causes small variations in the frame that result in faint horizontal lines. We certainly appreciate everyone’s patience and the feedback that has been provided by many of you. Unfortunately, this is a side effect for cutting edge technology and while there is not a fix to be applied, we will continue to make efforts to minimize and eliminate these types of limitations in future releases."

If you RMA it there's a good chance it's going to have the same problem, if you want a monitor without this problem you'll have to get a monitor with a different panel that doesn't have this effect.

I just don't see this as "defective" because all of the all of the panels have this trait, you bought a product with a shitty design, the product itself is not defective.
You mean to say that, I spent $250 and they can't even use a decent panel, maybe make the colors slightly better, or, include g-sync or something? I know that seems relatively inexpensive to some, but if what you're saying is true, then it seems slightly scammy to sell monitors that struggle running up to their advertised specifications.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 12 May 2018, 20:33

It does everything they specify. If i remember correctly that monitor uses the M240HW01 V8 which came out in 2011 and the panel is only rated to 120hz. It was one of the first and it's pushed harder then ever expected.

I just personally think it's like buying a first gen VR and trying to return it because the panel has a screen door effect. You could of looked up reviews and find out about this issues but you didn't, this isn't a fault of Acer/Benq/AUO it's a fault of the user of buying something that they didn't want to begin with. If you want one that doesn't have this you could of bought a 60hz IPS Dell.

On the flipside, lets say they never took any of these 120hz monitors to market, we would be out pretty much every high refresh rate monitor from 2011 to 2014 probably stunting the market for these types of monitors for the next few years because the first one wasn't absolutely perfect. A lot of people and I personally would be very sad that we can't get 120/144hz monitors because of this.

Yea, it sucks but i really don't think you can blame them for releasing a product people wanted.

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 12 May 2018, 20:51

lexlazootin wrote:It does everything they specify. If i remember correctly that monitor uses the M240HW01 V8 which came out in 2011 and the panel is only rated to 120hz.
That's the thing, "only rated to 120hz". When you're buying a 144hz panel, you'd expect it to have no problems running that natively or any refresh rate higher than 60 in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way and used a refurb in my unit to save even more money.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 13 May 2018, 00:12

A refurbished panel?! The manufacture would need to receive a monitor back that was broken, confirm it was the panel, take out the panel, send the panel back to china with adequate packaging (enjoy shipping costs), china then needs to know what is wrong with it, fix it up, send it back to usa (Enjoy shipping again), place in the panel and then repackage it in original packaging?!

These panels are 50-100usd wholesale, there is no way someone is doing that, it's a waste of money and time. If people can fix it on the spot or there was nothing wrong with it they will sell it as "refurbished" and not as a new product, else it gets thrown out.

Also to think that China or USA respects warranties :lol:

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 13 May 2018, 00:17

lexlazootin wrote:A refurbished panel?! The manufacture would need to receive a monitor back that was broken, confirm it was the panel, take out the panel, send the panel back to china with adequate packaging (enjoy shipping costs), china then needs to know what is wrong with it, fix it up, send it back to usa (Enjoy shipping again), place in the panel and then repackage it in original packaging?!

These panels are 50-100usd wholesale, there is no way someone is doing that, it's a waste of money and time. If people can fix it on the spot or there was nothing wrong with it they will sell it as "refurbished" and not as a new product, else it gets thrown out.

Also to think that China or USA respects warranties :lol:
I will give BenQ this, at least the build quality of both the monitor and stand feel premium.

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 13 May 2018, 17:26

Amazon is sending a replacement, so I'm going to compare the two and see if there is a difference in panel quality, this way I know for sure whether it's defective. $250 is a lot when even my $100 60hz ASUS doesn't pull this. lol

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 14 May 2018, 12:45

Just received the replacement unit, made two months earlier, same issue. Might just return them both and look for a different monitor with a different panel.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2018, 12:53

Does this problem occur with a different computer / different graphics card?

Although this effect changes based on a monitor setting, I am mighty curious if it changes.

Have you tried a few other modes like 120Hz instead of 144Hz? Also, trying 140Hz via Custom Resolution Utility? Minor changes to the variables could actually cause visible changes.

Regardless of what you decide, hope the next monitor you purchase, does not have this issue --
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!