Need advice for monitor.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SigFig

Re: Need advice for monitor.

Post by SigFig » 18 May 2018, 19:12

RealNC wrote: (*cough* AOC *cough*).
Would you be able to elaborate on this for my education? With the exception of the issues of the 240hz model, most of the new stuff seems to review well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2018, 00:26

The AOC GSYNC 240Hz and the other GSYNC models are fine. It was the early AOC non-GSYNC one that frameskippes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 May 2018, 09:49

I didn't experience frame skipping with my AOC monitor, but it was a PoS. The build quality was extremely cheap. The frame made weird squeaking noises when pressing the OSD buttons. It was also uneven with bumps and gaps on it. The image quality was very bad. Viewing angles were much, much worse than my TN monitor from 2007. Especially the vertical viewing angle was intolerable. Overdrive wasn't working correctly on non-60Hz modes, and it would ruin the image if enabled (everything becomes fat/bold when moving.) AOC shipped units to reviewers with the overdrive disabled in >60Hz modes. They only enabled later on with a firmware update, after reviews were out.

Overall, a piece of trash thrown together and sold to people for €350, with a slapped "gamer" label on it. I have never seen a product this bad from any other monitor manufacturer. The reviews of this monitor were rather positive (AOC G2770PF.)

Now, they might have improved since then, but personally I still don't trust their products. Not even in the slightest.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.