The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2018, 14:52

Have cake and eat it too -- for a price.

Apparently: Almost 100x the firmware engineering hours went into these monitors, than the average gaming monitor currently sitting on your desk!

4K 144Hz G-SYNC HDR Gaming Monitors Finally Arriving Soon — At A Price

It is okay to hate the price, but one gotta admire the huge amount of behind-the-scenes engineering (as I write about in the link).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mello

Re: The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Post by mello » 18 May 2018, 15:00

If that translates to near perfect displays (based on technology used) and an easy way of updating the firmware in the future, then the rumored price is justified. Basically, if they want to charge big bucks for these beasts, then the quality better be impeccable. But even still, these panels are made by... "AUO Optronics" so talking from experience, panel lottery here we go again :roll:
Last edited by mello on 18 May 2018, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2018, 16:52

High end Samsung monitors are user firmware upgradeable.

We agree monitors must be firmware upgradeable by users.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mello

Post by mello » 18 May 2018, 18:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:We agree monitors must be firmware upgradeable by users.
This should have been done as soon as lightboost and g-sync have entered the market imo. I bet that it could have fixex a lot of problems that happened during last few years with various panels and monitor models. And it will be even more important now, where monitors will be combining all these new things in the near future.

I still want an OLED gaming monitor from LG though, this is probably the only company that could potentially do it right.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 May 2018, 00:31

mello wrote:these panels are made by... "AUO Optronics" so talking from experience, panel lottery here we go again :roll:
Blanket statements like this should not be said unless you have the numbers to back it up. As someone who has personally dealt with 1000s of product returns i can ensure you just because you think it has a higher failure rate doesn't necessarily make it true. If you look at the landscape of high refreshrate monitors you can notice that a large amount of them use AUO panels. Just that alone will cause the number of AUO failures to be a lot higher then other panel suppliers. If you sell 10x the products, you're likely to get 10x the products back.

Another thing to look at is how many people really simply don't understand the panels them self. High refreshrate panels often have bad contrast ratios and look worse in low light scenarios causing people to believe that their monitor is faulty. I've pointed out countless times to users that photos of their panels are pretty much because of how easily manipulated they can be.

https://i.imgur.com/UPrZVi7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3q7dmey.jpg

Combination of ignorance and confirmation bias can make anything appear worse then it really is.
High end Samsung monitors are user firmware upgradeable.
Very much so, I was able to update my Zisworks 240hz to allow ""ULMB"" like strobing with fully unlocked timings and refresh rate :o that was a good day.

I know it's probably a LOT of work but it would be amazing if he could sell a 24/27 inch frame and board that is compatible with any panel that way you could swap out and use any new panel that comes out with a full featured OSD with upscaling filters and configurations... one can dream :lol:

mello

Post by mello » 19 May 2018, 05:47

lexlazootin wrote:
mello wrote:these panels are made by... "AUO Optronics" so talking from experience, panel lottery here we go again :roll:
Blanket statements like this should not be said unless you have the numbers to back it up.
Chill out, it is a common knowledge and i just repeated it. No harm done.
lexlazootin wrote: As someone who has personally dealt with 1000s of product returns i can ensure you just because you think it has a higher failure rate doesn't necessarily make it true.
And here you are perfectly right, it doesn't make it true. But user complaints are out there, all over the place, and current AUO reputation is there for a reason.
lexlazootin wrote: Combination of ignorance and confirmation bias can make anything appear worse then it really is.
True, but ignorance term is a funny one here. Why ? Because there are a lot of people that just put up with an inferior quality and product, they just accept it for what it is, they never complain and they just try to get used to certain flaws. For them is it not the end of the world, as long as quality is "acceptable" (different meaning per user) and can be tolerated in the long run. These never end up in any statistics so ignorance comment is a double edged sword in this case.

On the other spectrum you have people who either simply don't understand the panels themselfs or they have just have extremely high or unrealistic expectations. And they might be trying exchanging /returning monitors all the time, until they find something that fits their narrative (thing they are searching for).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 May 2018, 11:04

lexlazootin wrote:Blanket statements like this should not be said unless you have the numbers to back it up. As someone who has personally dealt with 1000s of product returns i can ensure you just because you think it has a higher failure rate doesn't necessarily make it true.
Not sure if failure rate is the issue. I believe the BLB and IPS glow issues of the 165Hz IPS panels from AUO did the damage there. Reputation is easy to damage and hard to restore, especially when you target a younger audience (<40 yo), and for most of them $800 is a LOT of money, and they expect a "perfect product" for that price.

IMO, producing that panel was a mistake from AUO. I'm happy they did it, since I love the thing, but from a marketing standpoint, it was probably a bad decision. But maybe this is 20/20 hindsight talking. It turned out that implementing the panel in monitors was more difficult than expected, since manufacturers care more about bezel thinness than BLB. And on top of that, a big part of the target audience are gamers who most probably upgrade from a TN monitor, and now they're given IPS glow which they never experienced before. And this damaged AUO's reputation because gamers are much more likely to partake in online discussions about hardware than your average Joe.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 20 May 2018, 02:45

mello wrote:Chill out, it is a common knowledge and i just repeated it. No harm done.
Proof by assertion. Just repeating something over and over again doesn't make it true. Thinking that spreading lies with no evidence to back it up is "No harm done." then there is really is no help for you.
mello wrote:And here you are perfectly right, it doesn't make it true. But user complaints are out there, all over the place, and current AUO reputation is there for a reason.
What is confirmation bias? :lol: I've yet to hear of this reputation does that mean that it doesn't exist? No, that's why it's very important to have numbers to back it up.
mello wrote:True, but ignorance term is a funny one here. Why ? Because there are a lot of people that just put up with an inferior quality and product, they just accept it for what it is, they never complain and they just try to get used to certain flaws. For them is it not the end of the world, as long as quality is "acceptable" (different meaning per user) and can be tolerated in the long run. These never end up in any statistics so ignorance comment is a double edged sword in this case.
If this true for AUO, it's true for any panel manufacture. idk what your point is.

People taking photos of their monitors should be fired out of a cannon. :lol:

My ExPeNsIvE 4k 10bit Dell IPS that's not using a AUO panel has massive clouding and i should return it asap!
It even looks worse then someone AUO IPS 165hz that they returned!
https://i.imgur.com/F7wCpLp.jpg

Oh wait, it looks fine in a realistic scenario.

This is why it's so important to have numbers and not go by what people are saying. I've experienced it in person were someone i knew was saying how bad their backlight bleed was but when i checked it out in person it looked fine... they were going off the photos and were not LOOKING with their eyes :lol:

If you wanted black blacks, get a VA panel with a better contrast ratio. If it's IPS then it's probably 1000:1 and don't expect any better.

open

Post by open » 21 May 2018, 09:15

If these monitors can do 4k at 98hz then the displayport standard used for them should be able to do 1080p at 392hz right?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 May 2018, 10:15

open wrote:If these monitors can do 4k at 98hz then the displayport standard used for them should be able to do 1080p at 392hz right?
Should be even higher, I'm not entirely were 98hz came from but my guess is that they were calculating 10bits per channel. if they are using the DP 1.3 standard that means they have 25.9Gbit/s

30(3 channels) x 3840 x 2160 x 96hz = 23.9Gbit/s

and if you calculate for 8 bit

24 x 3840 x 2160 x 144hz = 28.7Gbit/s

it does go over the spec but acer says "This device is designed to support refresh rate overclocking up to 144Hz. However, overclocking may result in system instability. If you experience instability, try reducing the overclock to a lower refresh rate through the on-screen display settings."

It's strange that they would target 144hz because 120hz fits within the spec just fine at 23.9Gbit/s

But if you want to downclock this spec to 1080p it becomes...

24 x 1920 x 1080 x 480hz = 23.9Gbit/s

which is within the DP 1.3 spec that they are using presumably.

if you can get away with going upto 28.7Gbit/s like they are you can reach up to 576hz :o

Edit:now that i think of it they are probably using 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampling to reach 144hz. I can't think atm what the math would be.