The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: The Cake Is NOT a Lie -- for a price (4K 144Hz HDR)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2018, 11:36

open wrote:If these monitors can do 4k at 98hz then the displayport standard used for them should be able to do 1080p at 392hz right?
The 4K 98Hz is only if using 10-bit color + HDR + 4:4:4

If using the same bit depth and same chroma precision -- in an apples-vs-apples comparision -- the math is simpler:

- 1080p is 1/16th of 8K
- 960x is 16x 60Hz
- ((7680x4320) / (1920x1080)) = exactly 16
- 8K 60Hz equals 1080p 960Hz in bandwidth

So any DisplayPort connection capable of 8K 60Hz can do 1080p 960Hz.

Now, if reducing the porches a bit, you could possibly milk your way to 1000Hz...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 21 May 2018, 12:26

I know from some brief reading that 4:2:2 uses 2/3 the bandwidth of 4:4:4.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2018, 12:36

open wrote:I know from some brief reading that 4:2:2 uses 2/3 the bandwidth of 4:4:4.
Yes, when using the same color bit precision.

e.g. 4:2:2 at "X-bit" versus 4:4:4 at "X-bit".

Assuming no other compression is done (e.g. DSC).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chocobo

Post by chocobo » 21 May 2018, 20:46

I can't wait for 4K 144Hz to become affordable, I think it's going to be the gold standard for a very long time. 1440p is a nice step up in resolution for gaming, but it has drawbacks as well - 1080p content has to be scaled and doesn't look quite as good as if it was on a 1080p monitor.

On a 4K monitor, your 1080p content looks flawless and you can also play 4K videos and Blu-rays. It will be a while before graphics cards can handle 4K resolution and 144 FPS, but 4K 60 FPS will be a nice option for certain types of games, and you can run the others at 1080p 144 FPS.

Here's hoping the prices fall as quickly as 4K television prices have. Seems like it wasn't that long ago when you couldn't find a 4K TV much below $2000, and this past November I picked up a 55" 4K TV for $320.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 May 2018, 23:10

chocobo wrote:On a 4K monitor, your 1080p content looks flawless
Spoiler alert: You're gonna be very disappointed :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

chocobo

Post by chocobo » 22 May 2018, 03:52

RealNC wrote:
What am I misunderstanding? Each pixel from a 1080p source takes up 4 pixels on a 4K screen... the outcome is virtually identical, right?

I know it's not literally identical and have read that a 2x2 block on a 4K display is a bit more square than a 1080p pixel if you're really looking closely, but that's some advanced nitpicking imho and wouldn't qualify as "very disappointing".

After looking for some more info on this it sounds like many 4K monitors and TVs don't handle the 4:1 scaling correctly and don't simply turn each 1080p pixel into a 2x2 on the 4K display? I wouldn't have thought that would be a difficult task to accomplish with today's technology.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 May 2018, 04:28

It will get filtered.

If you're sending a 1080p signal for the upscaler to process you are going to get a blured mess that looks worse then native 1080p. if you want a native 1080p image that is perfectly scaled 2x you are going to have to send a 4k signal and then find a video player that does 'nearest neighbour' up scaling.

Hardware scalers do 'probably' do bilinear interpolation which won't do what you wont. If you try 540p on your 1080p monitor you can experience what it's like and it's pretty garbage. It wouldn't be 'hard' for Nvidia or Tv/Monitor manufactures to give us more options on the scaling, they just don't.

perfect 2x but the bi looks much worse

user9581320004096748

Post by user9581320004096748 » 22 May 2018, 04:47

chocobo wrote:
RealNC wrote:
What am I misunderstanding? Each pixel from a 1080p source takes up 4 pixels on a 4K screen... the outcome is virtually identical, right?

I know it's not literally identical and have read that a 2x2 block on a 4K display is a bit more square than a 1080p pixel if you're really looking closely, but that's some advanced nitpicking imho and wouldn't qualify as "very disappointing".

After looking for some more info on this it sounds like many 4K monitors and TVs don't handle the 4:1 scaling correctly and don't simply turn each 1080p pixel into a 2x2 on the 4K display? I wouldn't have thought that would be a difficult task to accomplish with today's technology.
Most displays and the nvidia driver forces a form of blurring in order to improve the accuracy of scaled images. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_blur. As for those who prefer a clear and accurate image at the expense of visual quality, you can raise the sharpness on a display scalar to bypass GPU blurring.

What you mention is something called point scaling. The downside to this method is it becomes incredibly inaccurate when trying to scale odd images, causing visual desync.

I do not know how the recent AMD cards scale images, but I remember my 4870 being much more clearer than my current 580/680 cards. Intel seems to be also under some pressure from its user community to implement a point scaling option in its driver.

I imagine in the future GPU scaling would be the only viable choice to choose, once we have more customization. I currently rely entirely on display scaling in order to improve the image quality at extreme resolutions, in order to increase the usability of aged or under-powered gpus. I find that the image clarity almost is doubled when compared to the nvidia gpu scalar when doing this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 May 2018, 11:19

There will most probably be no display scaling. These are g-sync displays. G-sync does not support scaling. You will need to use GPU scaling, which has abysmally bad scaling quality, even with integer ratios. For example, 720p on my 1440p monitor looks like absolute horse manure, even though the resolution ratio is exactly 4:1. Switching to display scaling makes 720p look much better. But then, g-sync doesn't work and you can only use 60Hz.

There is no reason to believe these monitors will be any different.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 May 2018, 12:46

RealNC wrote:There will most probably be no display scaling. These are g-sync displays. G-sync does not support scaling.
Generally correct (that you must always use GPU scaling with GSYNC displays) -- but it depends.

This was true for the most part, but not always in newer GSYNC displays:

You can connect an external 1080p gaming console to most newer 1440p GSYNC displays (the ones that now has HDMI inputs nowadays) -- and it works.

Example display: Dell S2417DG G-SYNC display has an HDMI input that supports external game consoles.

By necessity, this uses display scaling.

I am not sure what the scaler limitations are, but there exists a few GSYNC displays that can scale external video signals.