[Ghosting?] Is my 75 Hz Monitor's ghosting / MB ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ganshu

[Ghosting?] Is my 75 Hz Monitor's ghosting / MB ?

Post by Ganshu » 23 May 2018, 12:24

Hi guys, i've stumbled upon this forum by chance when i was looking for a low budget good monitor for my computer, i've bought the ACER KG241Q (24" FHD 75 Hz Freesync 1ms G2G response time according to the manufacturer), and i've been paranoid since i've began testing my laptop / phone / computer screens using https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Here are is a picture (Overdrive OFF) : Image
& a video (Overdrive OFF) :
phpBB [video]

Is it that bad of a ghosting / motion blur that i'd have to return the monitor ? How can i reduce the motion blur / ghosting (i've tried overdrive settings, normal seems to be the best compromise since extreme displays overshooting) ? I have very few options here in my country so i'd really like your advice on this stuff, thank's in advance.

Ganshu

Re: [Ghosting?] Is my 75 Hz Monitor's ghosting / MB ?

Post by Ganshu » 23 May 2018, 12:42

Here's a picture & a video using Overdrive on NORMAL

Picture : Image
Video :
phpBB [video]

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 May 2018, 12:50

Photos with a stationary camera aren't useful, because the camera picks up previous frames.

Are you seeing any excessive ghosting going on? Note that you should only look at the 75FPS motion. Or, better yet, try this test instead:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#backgr ... &pursuit=0
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Ganshu

Post by Ganshu » 23 May 2018, 17:30

RealNC wrote:Photos with a stationary camera aren't useful, because the camera picks up previous frames.

Are you seeing any excessive ghosting going on? Note that you should only look at the 75FPS motion. Or, better yet, try this test instead:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#backgr ... &pursuit=0

I've been paranoid since i've stumbled upon this forum tbh, i was playing skyrim on my old laptop that had waaay more ghosting / motion blur (according to the tests), and i didn't have any problem with it whatsoever, so i can't really trust my eyes, that's why i'm asking here

But to answer your question : yes i see a little bit of ghosting, a small "tail " (after image) following the UFO

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 23 May 2018, 19:50

That's perfectly normal, every monitor in the world will have that.

Ganshu

Post by Ganshu » 24 May 2018, 18:10

lexlazootin wrote:That's perfectly normal, every monitor in the world will have that.
Oh so i don't rly have to spend 120$ more to get the acer gn246bbid ? (i don't think my GPU could handle 144hz on the games that i wanna play so i thought that it'd be just throwing my money away if i bought a 144hz monitor, am i wrong ?)

My GPU : EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC ACX 3.0
CPU : Amd Ryzen 1500x
RAM : Corsair LPX Vengeance 16gb 3000 ( clocked at 2666mhz atm for mobo reasons )

Please tell me if i'm wrong in my reasoning, thank's for the help, appreciate it

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 May 2018, 19:11

Oh you're wrong :P

There are so many benefits to going to 144hz, less input latency, less tearing, less blur, everything will look better and smoother regardless if you don't hit 144fps. 1060 is still a perfectly good card, you'll definitely be able to hit higher frame rates in older or popular online titles CS:GO/Dota/Overwatch and more modern games with the settings down a bit.

You don't NEED to hit 144fps, but higher is always better.

For how cheap that monitor is, i would say it's a VERY good purchase. You get to experience the joys of 144hz without breaking the bank. I think you'll enjoy it very much :D

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 May 2018, 19:23

The perfect solution would be a g-sync monitor, if you can find a good deal for one. That way you can always run 144Hz and don't have to care about reaching 144FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Ganshu

Post by Ganshu » 24 May 2018, 19:35

RealNC wrote:The perfect solution would be a g-sync monitor, if you can find a good deal for one. That way you can always run 144Hz and don't have to care about reaching 144FPS.
Those ones cost a lot already in the US, when imported to my country, the cost goes even crazier, the cheapest i could found would be @ 600$ (the AOC one, or the benQ XL2420)
Last edited by Ganshu on 24 May 2018, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ganshu

Post by Ganshu » 24 May 2018, 19:36

lexlazootin wrote:Oh you're wrong :P

There are so many benefits to going to 144hz, less input latency, less tearing, less blur, everything will look better and smoother regardless if you don't hit 144fps. 1060 is still a perfectly good card, you'll definitely be able to hit higher frame rates in older or popular online titles CS:GO/Dota/Overwatch and more modern games with the settings down a bit.

You don't NEED to hit 144fps, but higher is always better.

For how cheap that monitor is, i would say it's a VERY good purchase. You get to experience the joys of 144hz without breaking the bank. I think you'll enjoy it very much :D
Well then i'll get the ACER gn246bbid if i can (if the seller agrees to take back this one, which he should i guess, since i've bought it less than 2 weeks ago), do you think that it's a good buy ? heard that i could reduce motion blur / ghosting on that one using ULMB or lightboost