Good 144hz monitors within $250 price range?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Re: Good 144hz monitors within $250 price range?

Post by lexlazootin » 27 May 2018, 19:22

If C24FG70 is 250 get that, the panel quality is much higher. You won’t even notice the curve after a while.

We know the benifits of high FPS :P

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 27 May 2018, 19:22

donger wrote:So i am in the same spot. Looking for a cheap non TN 144Hz gaming monitor. I think the best choice right now is Samsung C24FG70. It's curved that's why i am hesitating to buy it and maby there is something better in the price range.

Ok so i just checked some photos of this curvature and it's really pathetic(how to work with 2d images on this crap??). Waiting for a normal flat screen that is non TN, 144Hz and around 250$ range. Preferably native 1080p to get 300fps in every competetive shooter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0
VA tends to be implemented on larger screen sizes.

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 06 Jun 2018, 13:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There's always the Acer GN246HL monitor - under $200 and has LightBoost (the early version of good strobe backlights).

The ghosting on that model is not very good (in non-LightBoost mode) -- until you enable LightBoost and then also apply the LightBoost purple-tint fix from the old 2013 Blur Busters LightBoost FAQ. The ghosting disappears & the blur reduction works fine. Then it's quite a decent cheap blur-reduction monitor. ToastyX Strobelight does not officially support it but it works anyway (on both AMD and NVIDIA). Strobelight-setup will fail with error, but running strobelight (after rebooting after strobelight-setup) will correctly enable LightBoost.

It's basic and you do have to jump through a few hoops -- but it's currently the cheapest blur-reduction gaming monitor on the market if your goal is to keep blur reduction permanently enabled.

If you want better colors, you will have to pony up. But if you can forgo the color quality criteria, it's the cheapest "Blur Busting" monitor -- cheapest LCD with zero motion blur -- it achieves CRT motion clarity with true ~1ms MPRT (at lower LightBoost % settings) Its backlight is quite bright which gives great headroom to still have okay brightness in LightBoost mode. The colors are a bit tricky, but it can reduce motion blur as perfectly good as any ULMB monitor.
Bit the bullet and re-bought the Acer because I can't find any other monitor worth the $250 price tag that has a good blur reduction built in. The Asus is overpriced on amazon atm but if it was cheaper I would've bought that one since it has everything I want in it, and being that I already own an Asus, I'm kinda biased because I love the built quality on this thing, and the VG248QE looks very similar to the one I'm using.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2018, 13:43

Great.

For the Acer GN246HL, the sub-$200 strobed 144Hz monitor...

1. Apply the LightBoost HOWTO, using ToastyX Strobelight method. Just ignore the error messages in ToastyX strobelight-setup. Then reboot and run strobelight.exe

2. You will probably get a purple tint in LightBoost mode. To reduce and/or fix this, follow LightBoost FAQ to apply the color adjustment tweak.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 06 Jun 2018, 16:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Great.

For the Acer GN246HL, the sub-$200 strobed 144Hz monitor...

1. Apply the LightBoost HOWTO, using ToastyX Strobelight method. Just ignore the error messages in ToastyX strobelight-setup. Then reboot and run strobelight.exe

2. You will probably get a purple tint in LightBoost mode. To reduce and/or fix this, follow LightBoost FAQ to apply the color adjustment tweak.
Being that every monitor is slightly different in calibration and white balance, will the adjustment be a hassle?

TheOneAndOnlyJP

Post by TheOneAndOnlyJP » 07 Jun 2018, 22:16

Same static scanlines on bottom left corner of screen while running 120/144hz like the BenQ but the the moving scanlines are gone and are only slightly noticeable in lightboost mode, colors look better on this than the BenQ, more apparent trailing/blur and the ugly PWM of course. Definitely has poorer motion/clarity compared to the BenQ.
Attachments
Scanlines
Scanlines
20180607_230857_2.jpg (165.3 KiB) Viewed 3309 times