Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2018, 09:34

Maorzz wrote:hey man motion blur is extremely important to me when it comes down to monitor i opened related to me buying a new monitor (AOC G2460PF) this monitor has really bad motion blur I'm looking for a monitor that has almost non existent motion blur it is really important to me the motion blur reduction I'm going to refund this monitor and i need your input on what monitor to get if motion blur reduction is really really important to me i also want 144hz 1ms
As rules of thumb:

If blur reduction is important to you, then you want this option in your toolbox.

1. You want a blur reduction feature.
They are usually called: ULMB, DyAc, LightBoost(old), MBR, "1ms MPRT", "Blur Reduction"
See Motion Blur Reduction FAQ

2. If you are picky about stutter and double images, you want framerate = refreshrate = stroberate
So get a powerful GPU and/or reduce detail and/or your refresh rate and/or all the above. Enabling blur reduction modes adds tradeoffs like amplified microstuttering and double images in exchange for eliminating motion blur. So to fix that, and get beautiful CRT-like clarity (30fps at 60Hz had double images on CRT), you want full frame rate at least.

Blur reduction does have a very slight lag tradeoff, so to minimize lag of blur reduction (if lag is important), you want to focus on 240Hz blur reduction such as the XL2546 DyAc. Be warned, strobe crosstalk can sometimes be an issue when strobing at 240Hz instead of 120Hz or 144Hz.

If you're simply wanting to enjoy CRT-like motion clarity with good colors instead (and don't care about lag) -- if color quality is important, and you don't mind a little lag, then the newer Samsung CHG70 series are very good for having cake and eating it too (Great colors, great blur reduction) without breaking the bank too excessively. (The older CFG73 is also good, too). These are VA panels with good Samsung-tuned blur reduction.

If you're wanting everything all at once (low lag, good colors, good blur reduction), it starts to cost a lot of money to have cake and eat it too. The upcoming $2000 4K 144Hz GSYNC HDR monitors with their ULMB scanning-backlight feature (which I expect will be lower input lag than more common ULMB strobe backlights) -- but this is ultra cream of the crop stuff that practically demands a 1080Ti/Titan SLI to fully utilize in current games.

Strobe quality:
-- Samsung & NVIDIA are generally experts at strobe tuning; it looks good out of the box but may be inflexible (e.g. limited Hz selection)
-- BenQ ZOWIE is great with Do-It-Yourself strobe tuning via our Blur Buster Strobe Utility. And the 240Hz strobing is available. DyAc is their official "premium" brand of blur reduction, so if you want brighter strobing, get DyAc.
-- Other models are pre-calibrated and sometimes okay, sometimes bad. LG 240Hz strobing is reportedly very good.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Maorzz

Post by Maorzz » 01 Jun 2018, 11:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Maorzz wrote:hey man motion blur is extremely important to me when it comes down to monitor i opened related to me buying a new monitor (AOC G2460PF) this monitor has really bad motion blur I'm looking for a monitor that has almost non existent motion blur it is really important to me the motion blur reduction I'm going to refund this monitor and i need your input on what monitor to get if motion blur reduction is really really important to me i also want 144hz 1ms
As rules of thumb:

If blur reduction is important to you, then you want this option in your toolbox.

1. You want a blur reduction feature.
They are usually called: ULMB, DyAc, LightBoost(old), MBR, "1ms MPRT", "Blur Reduction"
See Motion Blur Reduction FAQ

2. If you are picky about stutter and double images, you want framerate = refreshrate = stroberate
So get a powerful GPU and/or reduce detail and/or your refresh rate and/or all the above. Enabling blur reduction modes adds tradeoffs like amplified microstuttering and double images in exchange for eliminating motion blur. So to fix that, and get beautiful CRT-like clarity (30fps at 60Hz had double images on CRT), you want full frame rate at least.

Blur reduction does have a very slight lag tradeoff, so to minimize lag of blur reduction (if lag is important), you want to focus on 240Hz blur reduction such as the XL2546 DyAc. Be warned, strobe crosstalk can sometimes be an issue when strobing at 240Hz instead of 120Hz or 144Hz.

If you're simply wanting to enjoy CRT-like motion clarity with good colors instead (and don't care about lag) -- if color quality is important, and you don't mind a little lag, then the newer Samsung CHG70 series are very good for having cake and eating it too (Great colors, great blur reduction) without breaking the bank too excessively. (The older CFG73 is also good, too). These are VA panels with good Samsung-tuned blur reduction.

If you're wanting everything all at once (low lag, good colors, good blur reduction), it starts to cost a lot of money to have cake and eat it too. The upcoming $2000 4K 144Hz GSYNC HDR monitors with their ULMB scanning-backlight feature (which I expect will be lower input lag than more common ULMB strobe backlights) -- but this is ultra cream of the crop stuff that practically demands a 1080Ti/Titan SLI to fully utilize in current games.

Strobe quality:
-- Samsung & NVIDIA are generally experts at strobe tuning; it looks good out of the box but may be inflexible (e.g. limited Hz selection)
-- BenQ ZOWIE is great with Do-It-Yourself strobe tuning via our Blur Buster Strobe Utility. And the 240Hz strobing is available. DyAc is their official "premium" brand of blur reduction, so if you want brighter strobing, get DyAc.
-- Other models are pre-calibrated and sometimes okay, sometimes bad. LG 240Hz strobing is reportedly very good.
My Ideal screen would have 144hz low input lag no blur
And I have 380$ to spend on monitor (I live in israel) So everything costs alot more than it should be any suggestion ? I'm going to refund this AOC G2460PF To something else what do you recommend I thought about the BenQ XL2411 because it has a motion blur reduction function but how good is it ? I want the motion blur to be non existent and have low input lag and 144hz Cheers And i want really really good vision clarity

What monitor in my price range ish will gurantee me almost non existent motion blur and 144hz 1ms

Also what would u do in this if u were in it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jun 2018, 10:36

Maorzz wrote:What monitor in my price range ish will gurantee me almost non existent motion blur and 144hz 1ms
Any good quality strobe backlight is what you want if you hate blur.
The list of brand names (e.g. ULMB, DyAc, ELMB, LightBoost, etc) are listed in the Motion Blur Reduction FAQ

As for response time, it depends on if you're worried about lag or strobe crosstalk.
For response time measurements, there are two kinds. MPRT and GtG.

MPRT response time is better than GtG response time. 1ms MPRT means the display has a strobe backlight, as it's impossible to get such low MPRTs without going above 240Hz unless there is a strobe backlight

So, to me it's ambigious when a monitor manufacturer says "1ms pixel response time". The honest monitor manufacturers mention "1ms MPRT" or such, which can be up to 16x better than "1ms GtG".

In fact,
"5ms GtG with a 1ms MPRT" = has less motion blur
"1ms GtG with 16ms MPRT" = has more motion blur
So this is important to know that GtG has nothing to do with motion blur nowadays (when GtG is far less than refresh cycle time).

That said, fast GtG is still important in minimizing strobe crosstalk and reducing input lag. That said, for people hunting for the lowest motion blur must look for "strobe backlight" brand names (e.g. "ULMB", "ELMB", "DyAc", "1ms MPRT", "MBR", "LightBoost", etc) if the monitor manufacturer isn't listing an "MPRT" measurement name.

As long as the strobe backlight exists -- they are all extremely similar (except for varying amounts of lag, strobe crosstalk, etc).
The rule of thumb if you hate motion blur:
1. A motion blur reduction backlight exists.
2. Frame rates matching refresh rate matching strobe rate.

Most blur reduction backlights are tuned for 120Hz operation. (The XL2411P can do 60Hz strobing, albiet with extreme flicker). So you'll want a GPU that can play at framerates that high ideally. If you want more flexibility with lower framerates, the BenQ ZOWIE blur reduction modes are excellent for that as they are able to strobe at any refresh rate down to 75Hz (or 60Hz in the case of XL2411/XL2420/XL2720 series including XL2411P).

The CFG73 will be higher quality (better colors) but laggier (5ms VA), Fortunately even that 5ms GtG VA has roughly 1ms MPRT (the important thing for motion blur) and will still perform similarly to a TN panel in blur reduction, due to Samsung's excellent blur reduction tuning. If colors is more important than input lag, then the CFG73 is pretty good already.

But the XL2411P is much more flexible (any Hz strobe, plus 60Hz strobe, and very calibrateable via Strobe Utility)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Maorzz

Post by Maorzz » 03 Jun 2018, 10:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Maorzz wrote:What monitor in my price range ish will gurantee me almost non existent motion blur and 144hz 1ms
Any good quality strobe backlight is what you want if you hate blur.
The list of brand names (e.g. ULMB, DyAc, ELMB, LightBoost, etc) are listed in the Motion Blur Reduction FAQ

As for response time, it depends on if you're worried about lag or strobe crosstalk.
For response time measurements, there are two kinds. MPRT and GtG.

MPRT response time is better than GtG response time. 1ms MPRT means the display has a strobe backlight, as it's impossible to get such low MPRTs without going above 240Hz unless there is a strobe backlight

So, to me it's ambigious when a monitor manufacturer says "1ms pixel response time". The honest monitor manufacturers mention "1ms MPRT" or such, which can be up to 16x better than "1ms GtG".

In fact,
"5ms GtG with a 1ms MPRT" = has less motion blur
"1ms GtG with 16ms MPRT" = has more motion blur
So this is important to know that GtG has nothing to do with motion blur nowadays (when GtG is far less than refresh cycle time).

That said, fast GtG is still important in minimizing strobe crosstalk and reducing input lag. That said, for people hunting for the lowest motion blur must look for "strobe backlight" brand names (e.g. "ULMB", "ELMB", "DyAc", "1ms MPRT", "MBR", "LightBoost", etc) if the monitor manufacturer isn't listing an "MPRT" measurement name.

As long as the strobe backlight exists -- they are all extremely similar (except for varying amounts of lag, strobe crosstalk, etc).
The rule of thumb if you hate motion blur:
1. A motion blur reduction backlight exists.
2. Frame rates matching refresh rate matching strobe rate.

Most blur reduction backlights are tuned for 120Hz operation. (The XL2411P can do 60Hz strobing, albiet with extreme flicker). So you'll want a GPU that can play at framerates that high ideally. If you want more flexibility with lower framerates, the BenQ ZOWIE blur reduction modes are excellent for that as they are able to strobe at any refresh rate down to 75Hz (or 60Hz in the case of XL2411/XL2420/XL2720 series including XL2411P).

The CFG73 will be higher quality (better colors) but laggier (5ms VA), Fortunately even that 5ms GtG VA has roughly 1ms MPRT (the important thing for motion blur) and will still perform similarly to a TN panel in blur reduction, due to Samsung's excellent blur reduction tuning. If colors is more important than input lag, then the CFG73 is pretty good already.

But the XL2411P is much more flexible (any Hz strobe, plus 60Hz strobe, and very calibrateable via Strobe Utility)
So in my price range the XL2411 Will be great with it's blur reduction modes but how can i know if that model has a good strobe rate and backlights like it should :? Like will this blur reduction of the benq zowie will be that good ?

Another question is the benq blur reduction considered really good ? (not the dyac)
Because the XL2411 Doesn't include Dyac :/

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 11 Oct 2018, 04:52

Hello, I'm the original poster of this thread.

Okay, So I have finalized the Benq XL2546 (240Hz 1ms) for now since, I play most of the competitive titles only.

Right now, I have GTX 970 (4 GB) and Intel I7 4790K. I am able to reach 100-120 FPS only with this spec.

So, If I use Benq XL2546 on this frame (120 FPS on 240Hz Refresh Rate). What sort of technical and display issues I can see?

Like: Will I face any sort of screen-tearing or motion blur or anything else (which I don't know off, but I might face)?

In Short: What kind of experience I might get if I play 120 FPS on 240Hz vs 240 FPS on 240Hz vs 120 FPS on 144Hz (All on XL2546)

Games I play: Rainbow Six Siege (95%) and OW + CSGO + PUBG (5% of my Gaming Time).

Thanks.

adam10603

Post by adam10603 » 22 Nov 2018, 19:11

MrFriendism wrote:Hello, I'm the original poster of this thread.

Okay, So I have finalized the Benq XL2546 (240Hz 1ms) for now since, I play most of the competitive titles only.

Right now, I have GTX 970 (4 GB) and Intel I7 4790K. I am able to reach 100-120 FPS only with this spec.

So, If I use Benq XL2546 on this frame (120 FPS on 240Hz Refresh Rate). What sort of technical and display issues I can see?

Like: Will I face any sort of screen-tearing or motion blur or anything else (which I don't know off, but I might face)?

In Short: What kind of experience I might get if I play 120 FPS on 240Hz vs 240 FPS on 240Hz vs 120 FPS on 144Hz (All on XL2546)

Games I play: Rainbow Six Siege (95%) and OW + CSGO + PUBG (5% of my Gaming Time).

Thanks.
To take full advantage of it and have the most responsive experience, you'll want your frame rate to be as high as possible, even exceeding 240fps if you can. I don't play R6S, but I recon you could get higher than 120fps on your PC if you drop some settings down.

As for say 100fps or something on a 144Hz vs. 240Hz screen, it will still look smoother on 240Hz since the higher refresh rate makes for more even frame timings when your frame rate is lower than the refresh rate. So 240Hz will always improve your experience regardless of your fps, but to take full advantage of it, your frame rate also has to be pretty high.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2018, 16:33

MrFriendism wrote:In Short: What kind of experience I might get if I play 120 FPS on 240Hz vs 240 FPS on 240Hz vs 120 FPS on 144Hz (All on XL2546)
For motion clarity without blur reduction mode (DyAc OFF), 120fps@120Hz and 120fps@240Hz looks exactly the same, when all things are equal (panel & pixel response & overdrive behaviour). Motion blur is equal to persistence, and 1ms of frame visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels per second. Therefore, you want to have a higher framerate to benefit from improved motion clarity.

For motion clarity with blur reduction mode (DyAc ON), you'll get double-images at 120fps@240Hz, so you will prefer 120fps@120Hz for improved motion clarity. If you are really picky about motion blur, and play solo games, you'll want to lower your refresh rate a little bit to gain max benefits of DyAc. If you play CS:GO you prefer max Hz. However, it is a personal preference.

For stutters on fixed-Hz (with GSYNC/FreeSync turned off), a multiple is always better. 120fps@120hz and 120fps@240Hz will be smoother than 120fps@144Hz. When you turn on VRR, then consistent 120fps@(any Hz above 120Hz) will all look identically smooth, everything else being equal (panel & pixel response & overdrive behaviour). So 120fps@120Hz and 120fps@144Hz and 120fps@240Hz looks the same in GSYNC and FreeSync, since framerate is actually the current refresh rate the VRR display is running at.

Here are demonstration images.

For max-framerate motion:

For Benq DyAc: