Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 120 FPS or 144 FPS on 240 Hz Monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2018, 15:12

1. I have seen threads where they were able to run it OK with some compromises (i.e. acceptably, rather than crashes).
However, you'll probably want to keep GSYNC turned off for Rainbow Six Siege anyway.

2. Yes. Just disable the GSYNC checkbox in NVIDIA Control Panel. Then it behaves as if GSYNC doesn't exist.

3. Sometimes and sometimes not. It depends on what you need & what you want. There is an overlapping venn diagram: You gain some & you lose some. DyAc is simply BenQ's branded version of blur reduction (to NVIDIA's ULMB) so it's DyAc versus ULMB, not DyAc versus GSYNC. If you want the lowest-lag strobing with the most flexible adjustments, as well as things like custom refresh rate strobing (e.g. 180Hz blur reduction). If you play for money (professional competitive) and you need the lowest-lag blur reduction, then DyAc is superior. But if you use neither DyAc nor ULMB (both of which has a very slight amount of lag -- about 2-3ms -- compared to non-strobed) -- then the rest of the monitor features are more important to you.

4. Be more specific about "line". Do you mean "scanline issues" or such?

If your priority is definitely blur reduction (even with the slight lag it adds), and you're playing super competitively, then the 240Hz-capable strobe modes like the BenQ ZOWIE and the LG, are the lowest-lag strobe modes on the market. If you're always playing with blur reduction all the time, then the 240Hz DyAc is the way to go -- it removes ~95% of motion blur with only a ~2ms penalty average and without dimming the screen too much -- this lag penalty to remove motion blur is far less than any ULMB monitor. Even 60Hz monitors generally feel laggier (16.7ms scanout latency).

On the other hand, if you never use blur reduction modes, then focus on the other monitor features.

Your major decision matrix becomes:

A. If your priorities lean motion quality (smoothest stutter-free tear-free motion), lean towards GSYNC
B. If your priorities lean best blur reduction for competitive/eSports (best, brightest, lowest-lag motion blur reduction), lean towards 240Hz strobing (BenQ/Zowie "DyAc" or LG "1ms MPRT")

Based on the games you suggest you play, it's quite possible XL2546 is your ideal choice. You'll certainly forgo other advantages like GSYNC, but the advantages of GSYNC shines much more when you play newer games in ultra high detail settings, which causes games to fluctuate a lot more in framerates.

Note: GtG and MPRT are two different things. GtG is pixel transition time. MPRT is pixel visibility time. Currently "1ms MPRT" is synonymous with blur reduction, since the only way to get MPRT that low in current displays this decade, is via strobe backlight modes like ULMB or DyAc. For a good educational article about GtG versus MPRT, see Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays -- it is a long read but it helps explain the difference between pixel transitions (1ms GtG doesn't affect motion blur because of high MPRT = high persistence).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Re: Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 15:58

Thank again for the reply. And it's yet another detailed informative post.

Could you tell me one thing How much difference I would see in the performance between the XL2546 and PG258Q in terms of Motion Blur Reduction, Response Time and other Screen Tearing Issues?

Is there any good differential demo/video?

PG258Q Issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... rog_swift/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... ft_pg248q/

haanuman

Post by haanuman » 29 May 2018, 07:02

I think the pg258q is the best 240hz monitor now. Read it reviews

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 May 2018, 09:26

240hz monitors with G-Sync are all going to be pretty identical. they have very similar OSD and setting and will pretty much have the same configurations. Asus/Acer/Aoc/Dell(AlienWare) 240hz Should be identical if with G-Sync, If want just get the one that's cheapest or with the stand you want.

Adaptive Sync tech is pretty amazing and i personally would never get a monitor without G-Sync/Freesync and the G-Sync configuration on these monitors are pretty great blur/colour wise. I personally love mine. If the G-Sync one is cheaper then Benq then it's no competition. Benq doesn't really offer any advantages.

>PG258Q Issues:

It looks like panel issues and they all use the same panel. I bet you can find that with any other brand as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2018, 19:49

MrFriendism wrote:Thank again for the reply. And it's yet another detailed informative post.

Could you tell me one thing How much difference I would see in the performance between the XL2546 and PG258Q in terms of Motion Blur Reduction, Response Time and other Screen Tearing Issues?

Is there any good differential demo/video?

PG258Q Issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... rog_swift/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... ft_pg248q/
Videos can't easily tell the difference because you can't demo 240Hz on a lower-Hz monitor.
However, pursuit camera photographs (and simulations) can easily provide a motion blur comparision reference.

Here's the approximate relative amount of motion blur to expect for MPRT (persistence):

1. Go to http://www.testufo.com
2. Compare the blurry UFO to the below chart.

60fps@120Hz nonstrobed = 16ms persistence
60fps@240Hz nonstrobed = 16ms persistence
120fps@240Hz nonstrobed = 8ms persistence
120fps@240Hz nonstrobed = 8ms persistence
240fps@240Hz nonstrobed = 4ms persistence
120Hz strobed (ULMB/DyAc) = ~1ms persistence
144Hz strobed (ULMB/DyAc) = ~1ms persistence
240Hz strobed (ULMB/DyAc) = ~1ms persistence

Summary:
- Both DyAc and ULMB are adjustable-persistence (strobe length adjustable) and better than LightBoost (~1ms instead of 1.4-2.8ms)
- 240fps @ 240Hz non-strobed will have about 1/4th motion blur of 60fps @ 60Hz
- Strobed will match the bottommost UFO -- 90%-95% less motion blur than 60Hz
- MPRT (persistence) benchmarks is directly proportional to display motion blur.
- GtG benchmarks less than half the time of a refresh cycle, generally has no visible effect on LCD motion blur (except for strobe crosstalk in strobed mode)

When you turn on blur reduction (strobing) you will be able to pass the TestUFO Panning Map Street Label Readability Test. Moving images will generally be as clear as stationary images during strobed mode (of any Hz) -- as long as framerate matches refresh rate -- it becomes CRT clarity.

For your other questions:
- GSYNC has zero tearing when GSYNC is enabled. If tearing bothers you a LOT, then you obviously will like GSYNC.
- For "non-GSYNC" or "GSYNC-turned-off". Tearing is equally visible on all TN monitors at the same refresh rate (120Hz vs 120Hz, or 240Hz vs 240Hz). So no difference between the two monitors.
- Motion blur of ULMB and DyAc is similar at lower refresh rates (144Hz vs 144Hz). You do lose brightness but both are still 300nits strobed which is brighter than most other strobed monitors.
- ULMB is limited to 144Hz strobing
- DyAc can do 240Hz strobing but will have more strobe crosstalk than 144Hz. (At 144Hz, both DyAc and ULMB is similar)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 30 May 2018, 16:22

Okay, I have one question is that:

1. If my FPS is 120 and I am playing on 240 Hz monitor.

What kind of issues I can face because of it?

2. What causes the Screen Tearing to happen?

3. If I use V-Sync, (Given that FPS is 120 but monitor is 240 Hz), How it would outcome?

4. In Rainbow Six Siege, I can Hz. limit the Display Settings. If I do it like 144, Can I play it on 240 Hz monitor without having any Lag, Freeze, Delay, Screen Tearing?

P.S.: I am waiting for the 1180 GPU from Nvidia to come that's the reason, I am currently using GTX 970 which can't give 240 FPS right now.

uLeeT

Post by uLeeT » 30 May 2018, 19:26

I'm pretty sure he already answered what you asked. And this website is full of information all you have to do is read a little bit.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 31 May 2018, 03:37

1. you wont face any issues, but more hz/fps is always better.

2. Your fps being perfectly in time with your monitor. The only way to stop tearing is V-Sync/AdaptiveSync(G-Sync/Freesync)

3. Laggy and without tearing.

4. Are you trying to say you can cap the fps? Capping your fps will only cap your fps, it won't prevent tearing. It may reduce stuttering because 144 fps is easier to render then a constant 240.

P.S A 240hz monitor doesn't get worse as time goes on. If you buy it now you get to enjoy a 240hz now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 May 2018, 12:32

Don't worry, we answer newbie questions on Blur Busters anyway.
Newbie questions about "Better Than 60Hz" are allowed on Blur Busters anyway :D
MrFriendism wrote:Okay, I have one question is that:
1. If my FPS is 120 and I am playing on 240 Hz monitor.
What kind of issues I can face because of it?
Depends on system, on monitor, and on game.

Perfect VSYNC ON:
No stutter, 120fps@120Hz looks same as 120fps@240Hz

VRR:
Eliminates stutters. Looks same as perfect 120fps@120Hz.

Strobing:
Double-images like CRT 30fps @ 60Hz. (Solution: Lower refresh rate to 120Hz)

Imperfect VSYNC ON:
Varying frametimes will mean 120fps@240Hz has more microstutters. (Solution: Enable VRR or lower refresh rate)

Perfect VSYNC OFF:
Two tearlines per refresh cycle. (Solution: Uncap your framerate, avoid divisors to avoid harmonic-frequency fps-vs-Hz interactions of VSYNC OFF motion, or enable VSYNC ON or enable VRR)
MrFriendism wrote:2. What causes the Screen Tearing to happen?
Other websites explain it in simplistic ways.

We explain it in an engineering way:

The TL;DR is that graphics are transmitted over cable on a top-to-bottom fashion. VSYNC OFF can interrupt those with new frames in realtime (essentially splicing new refresh cycles, as "frame slices" onto the same refresh cycle). Here's the Blur Busters Filmreel metaphor of VSYNC OFF:

-- That what 360 frames per second at 120 Hz looks like; three tearlines per refresh cycle that are briefly visible for 1/120sec each.
-- The maximum number of tearlines per second is always equal to frame rate
-- Sometimes tearlines are invisible because they are hidden in VBI between refresh cycles.
-- The VBI is usually only 5% the height of the vertical resolution
-- If you want to see a high speed video of LCD top-to-bottom scanning, see this. This is a special TestUFO test that rapidly flashes 4 frames in sequence. And filmed by high speed camera. Observe that it's a top-to-bottom scan with a LCD GtG fade "lagging behind". The faster the LCD, the tighter the GtG fadezone becomes in high speed videos. We simply map this behavior to the BlurBusters filmreel graphic metaphor, to explain how VSYNC OFF interacts with (cable) scanout, to create tearlines.

phpBB [video]

This high speed video is of VSYNC ON 60Hz.
However, when you do VSYNC OFF, new frames will interrupt mid-scanout, injecting a tearline.
Hopefully this explains VSYNC OFF better.

In your case, VSYNC OFF 120fps at 240Hz will inject one 1/240sec-visibility tearline every other refresh cycle, so you get up to 120 tearlines per second, each visible for only 1/240sec, except for those occasional tearlines hidden between refresh cycles (in the VBI pause interval between refresh cycles, usually only 5% the time interval of a scanout).
MrFriendism wrote:3. If I use V-Sync, (Given that FPS is 120 but monitor is 240 Hz), How it would outcome?
VSYNC ON has no tearlines.
There are multiple different answers:

For perfect framepacing, non-VRR:
Smooth, it looks like perfect 120fps @ 120Hz. Repeated refresh cycles (duplicate frames) simply looks like a lower refresh rate.

For imperfect framepacing, non-VRR:
Stuttery, since sometimes you have a 3:1:1:3:3:1:3:2:3 repeat-frame cadence rather than 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2 repeat-frame cadence.
Unfortunately this is the most common situation, so you would prefer to enable VRR instead of VSYNC ON. You get less lag with VRR than with VSYNC ON anyway! Besides, games that have massive stutter problems with VSYNC ON, sometimes can still have problems with VRR, so you have to try both ways, because the preference will vary depending on the game.

For VRR:
Always smooth
MrFriendism wrote:4. In Rainbow Six Siege, I can Hz. limit the Display Settings. If I do it like 144, Can I play it on 240 Hz monitor without having any Lag, Freeze, Delay, Screen Tearing?
Can't always guarantee an answer for all games.
--> You simply need to cram your toolbox with lots of tools (e.g. "multiple Hz support", "VRR support", "VSYNC OFF support", "VSYNC ON support", "Fast Sync support", etc) and try all the tools in your toolbox to improve.

Lag: You'll have less lag than 60Hz. 60fps@240Hz has lots less lag than 60fps@60Hz.
Freeze: Unknown. Game fault
Delay: Unknown. Game and system fault (e.g. not having an SSD)
Tearing: Solved by enabling VRR or VSYNC ON. But all games may like it.

Your best way to be prepared is to arm all the "weapons" at once (have GSYNC ready, have VSYNC ON ready, have DyAc/ULMB ready, have VSYNC OFF ready, have 144Hz ready, have 240Hz ready) and try all of the "weapons" for the best results. You WILL get major improvements in many areas (e.g. much less lag than 60Hz) but there are tradeoffs of all the different modes, just like different "weapons" are useful for different things.

Maorzz

Post by Maorzz » 01 Jun 2018, 04:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Questions

- What graphics card do you have?

- How important is VRR to you? Freesync and GSYNC. http://www.testufo,com/vrr

- How important is blur reduction to you? http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction
hey man motion blur is extremely important to me when it comes down to monitor i opened related to me buying a new monitor (AOC G2460PF) this monitor has really bad motion blur I'm looking for a monitor that has almost non existent motion blur it is really important to me the motion blur reduction I'm going to refund this monitor and i need your input on what monitor to get if motion blur reduction is really really important to me i also want 144hz 1ms