Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MrFriendism

Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 01:37

Hello,

I am looking for the best monitor based upon the best suiting for my needs.

Usage: Gaming and Work.

Game: Rainbow Six Siege (99%) and PUBG (1%)

Work: YouTube Streaming, Twitch Streaming, Chrome Usage and all those stuff.

Response Time: 1ms

Resolution: 1920x1080

Size: Whatever you think is best.

Refresh Rate: 240 Hz.

Budget: Not Decided.

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best 240 Hz Monitor (2018)?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2018, 01:42

Questions

- What graphics card do you have?

- How important is VRR to you? Freesync and GSYNC. www.testufo,com/vrr

- How important is blur reduction to you? www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 01:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Questions

- What graphics card do you have?

- How important is VRR to you? Freesync and GSYNC. http://www.testufo,com/vrr

- How important is blur reduction to you? http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction
Hi,

GPU: I am going to 100% update myself to 1180 (yet to launch) or 1080Ti. (So 240 Hz isn't going to be an issue with it).

(Currently I have GTX 970)

VRR: I am not sure, But my YouTube videos are always teared and sometimes some games too.

Blur Reduction: It is very important, Since it helps in spotting the pixel-objects or enemies.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2018, 02:01

Nobrainer: 240Hz GSYNC monitor.

- Compatible tech, sonce GSYNC works with NVIDIA
- Good blur reduction via ULMB

You can choose between ULmB mode or GSYNC mode on these monitors.

Due to NVIDIA's known consistency of monitor tuning services, almost any brand has similiar picture quality. 25 inch will usually be brighter than 27 inch in strobe mode. Also, if you prefer a good colors pre-adjusted out of box, I have tended to like Viewsonics (XG2560) but others can be manually calibrated.

At the end of the day, if saving money, I have seen Dell AW2318H's go for good prices.

All 240Hz GSYNC monitors are listed in the List of GSYNC Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 02:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Nobrainer: 240Hz GSYNC monitor.

- Compatible tech, sonce GSYNC works with NVIDIA
- Good blur reduction via ULMB

You can choose between ULmB mode or GSYNC mode on these monitors.

Due to NVIDIA's known consistency of monitor tuning services, almost any brand has similiar picture quality. 25 inch will usually be brighter than 27 inch in strobe mode. Also, if you prefer a good colors pre-adjusted out of box, I have tended to like Viewsonics (XG2560) but others can be manually calibrated.

At the end of the day, if saving money, I have seen Dell AW2318H's go for good prices.

All 240Hz GSYNC monitors are listed in the List of GSYNC Monitors.
What are your thoughts about:

BenQ XL2546

Asus PG258Q

Dell AW2518H

Secondly, Do you think Gsync would help in my game: Rainbow Six Siege?

Thanks

MrFriendism

120 FPS or 144 FPS on 240 Hz Monitor?

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 05:59

Hello,

I am planning on buying 240 Hz monitor but then I want to improve my knowledge before buying anything that costly.

Question: If I play 120 FPS or 144 FPS (limit to 120 FPS or 144 FPS) on a 240 Hz Monitor. How it would feel and affect my performance?

Will this be better than 60 FPS/Hz or it will show poor performance?

Is it a good route to go with?

Please advice me best.

Post Link of 240 Hz: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4171
Hello,

I am looking for the best monitor based upon the best suiting for my needs.

Usage: Gaming and Work.

Game: Rainbow Six Siege (99%) and PUBG (1%)

Work: YouTube Streaming, Twitch Streaming, Chrome Usage and all those stuff.

Response Time: 1ms

Resolution: 1920x1080

Size: Whatever you think is best.

Refresh Rate: 240 Hz.

Budget: Not Decided.

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2018, 09:14

I have merged your threads into one since they are related.
MrFriendism wrote:BenQ XL2546

Asus PG258Q

Dell AW2518H

Secondly, Do you think Gsync would help in my game: Rainbow Six Siege?
There were reports that game didn't work well with GSYNC but they were reportedly fixed.
However, I doubt that it's the only game you play.
Remember GSYNC can be turned ON/OFF for different games.

So based on your confirmation of having NVIDIA GPUs, I would recommend the two GSYNC options (PG258Q or AW2518H).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 120 FPS or 144 FPS on 240 Hz Monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2018, 09:22

MrFriendism wrote:Hello,

I am planning on buying 240 Hz monitor but then I want to improve my knowledge before buying anything that costly.

Question: If I play 120 FPS or 144 FPS (limit to 120 FPS or 144 FPS) on a 240 Hz Monitor. How it would feel and affect my performance?

Better than 60fps.

If you enable GSYNC, then 120fps looks exactly like 120Hz, and 144fps looks exactly like 144Hz.
With GSYNC, the refresh rate automatically changes to match the frame rate, on the fly, in real time.

Now, you can also treat any 240Hz monitor like a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor too.
You can switch refresh rates -- all current 240Hz monitors support being run as a 120Hz monitor or a 144Hz monitor too.

There will be differences in feel (e.g. microstutters, tearing, etc) depending on the mode you select. But ~120fps at 240Hz VSYNC OFF looks massively better than ~60fps @ 60Hz VSYNC OFF. The tearing is much less visible, the fluctuating stutters is less visible.

Now, if you prefer VSYNC ON over VSYNC OFF, then you'll love GSYNC. The benefits of VSYNC ON (smooth motion), but without the stutters (of VSYNC ON) and input lag (of VSYNC ON). 173 fps GSYNC looks exactly like perfect 173 Hertz. 223 fps GSYNC looks exactly like perfect 223 Hz. The framerate is the refresh rate, the refresh rate is the frame rate. That's what GSYNC is.

You have a choice of these modes:
- VSYNC ON
- VSYNC OFF
- GSYNC
- ULMB
- In certain cases, some modes can be combined simultaneously in certain combinations (e.g. ULMB + VSYNC OFF)

And a choice of switchable refresh rates in the same 240Hz monitor.
- 60Hz
- 100Hz
- 120Hz
- 144Hz
- 240Hz
- GSYNC (refreshrate automatically same as framerate)

So hopefully that addresses your concerns?

I'm just saying that since you're getting NVIDIA, and you're wanting 240Hz -- then you might as well get GSYNC. You might not use it all the time, nor for all games -- but having it available is hugely beneficial in a 240Hz monitor. It won't hurt having that feature being around as an option even if you decide to turn it off for certain games like CS:GO that often runs at framerates above refresh rate.

open

Post by open » 28 May 2018, 12:50

I can say that I am happy with my pg258q. It has excelent brightness and the colors are very good for a tn panel. My comparisons for colors are the older vg248qe (tn) and the ips on my 2015 alienware laptop. The colors are way above the old tn and slightly below the ips. 240hz gsync is wonderful works ideally for many games.

MrFriendism

Re: 120 FPS or 144 FPS on 240 Hz Monitor?

Post by MrFriendism » 28 May 2018, 14:36

Thank you for such a detailed answer.

1. Could you share the source where they have mentioned of fixing the GSYNC issue with the game Rainbow Six Siege.

2. Can I disable the GSYNC totally off (just like as if it's not even a feature of monitor)?

3. I have read multiple reddit and threads here and there saying that BenQ's DyAC is better than GSYNC/ULMB. Is that correct?

4. I have read that ASUS PG258Q has certain line issues with it. Is that true?

P.S.: I play Rainbow Six Siege more than 95% (It's the only game so far I have played the most in terms of Hours in last 10 years). The other games I like to play are PUBG, CS:GO and so.

But every decision should be taken in terms of the future prospective and the long-term usage. Since, I don't want my this buying to be obsolete.

Thanks.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
MrFriendism wrote:Hello,

Better than 60fps.

If you enable GSYNC, then 120fps looks exactly like 120Hz, and 144fps looks exactly like 144Hz.
With GSYNC, the refresh rate automatically changes to match the frame rate, on the fly, in real time.

Now, you can also treat any 240Hz monitor like a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor too.
You can switch refresh rates -- all current 240Hz monitors support being run as a 120Hz monitor or a 144Hz monitor too.

There will be differences in feel (e.g. microstutters, tearing, etc) depending on the mode you select. But ~120fps at 240Hz VSYNC OFF looks massively better than ~60fps @ 60Hz VSYNC OFF. The tearing is much less visible, the fluctuating stutters is less visible.

Now, if you prefer VSYNC ON over VSYNC OFF, then you'll love GSYNC. The benefits of VSYNC ON (smooth motion), but without the stutters (of VSYNC ON) and input lag (of VSYNC ON). 173 fps GSYNC looks exactly like perfect 173 Hertz. 223 fps GSYNC looks exactly like perfect 223 Hz. The framerate is the refresh rate, the refresh rate is the frame rate. That's what GSYNC is.

You have a choice of these modes:
- VSYNC ON
- VSYNC OFF
- GSYNC
- ULMB
- In certain cases, some modes can be combined simultaneously in certain combinations (e.g. ULMB + VSYNC OFF)

And a choice of switchable refresh rates in the same 240Hz monitor.
- 60Hz
- 100Hz
- 120Hz
- 144Hz
- 240Hz
- GSYNC (refreshrate automatically same as framerate)

So hopefully that addresses your concerns?

I'm just saying that since you're getting NVIDIA, and you're wanting 240Hz -- then you might as well get GSYNC. You might not use it all the time, nor for all games -- but having it available is hugely beneficial in a 240Hz monitor. It won't hurt having that feature being around as an option even if you decide to turn it off for certain games like CS:GO that often runs at framerates above refresh rate.