RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by RealNC » 31 Dec 2018, 13:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Capping is not going to reduce input lag of VSYNC OFF.
Only because in this case the CPU is the bottleneck. If the GPU is the bottleneck, then capping can reduce input lag with vsync OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2018, 13:52

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Capping is not going to reduce input lag of VSYNC OFF.
Only because in this case the CPU is the bottleneck. If the GPU is the bottleneck, then capping can reduce input lag with vsync OFF.
Oh yes, that too.

On that note, that kinda falls under my bullet of "For game engine issues where game engine malfunctions at 1000fps, capping to 300 can be helpful with that". Another consideration is this will generally not as noticeable latency increase in majority of games than the simple act of turning VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF, so this is often lost in the statistical noise.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Dec 2018, 14:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:On that note, that kinda falls under my bullet of "For game engine issues where game engine malfunctions at 1000fps, capping to 300 can be helpful with that". Another consideration is this will generally not as noticeable latency increase in majority of games than the simple act of turning VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF, so this is often lost in the statistical noise.
It happens at any frame rate. Even at 40FPS. Or 30. I've tested this with many games, and quite a few of them are affected. If the GPU can't keep up, the CPU part of the rendering can run ahead, then blocked (to wait for the GPU) which causes lag. If you run 4K at ultra settings on a mid or low range GPU, and you get 30-ish FPS, capping slightly below that will noticeably reduce input lag in many games. Note that at 30FPS, a single frame of lag is 33ms, which is huge. Not all games are affected of course; some game developers know very well that sampling input too early is an issue, but many don't.

The TL;DR here is that whenever you play a game that is GPU bound, or your settings make it GPU bound (high resolutions and whatnot), then trying an FPS limiter to see if it helps with lag even with vsync OFF is recommended. If that's the case, the trick is then to find an FPS cap that doesn't result in a stationary tear line.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

amon.akira

Post by amon.akira » 31 Dec 2018, 17:06

amon.akira wrote:hi, dunno if someone can help me, but i got a problem with scanline sync, if i use it with a custom resolution, the game start with 30fps cap, to fix it i need to select first 1080p (native res) and then custom resolution, but is annoying do it each time.

any workaround ?
so no one? atleast someone can try to use scanline sync with a supersampling resolution > of native res and see if game catch fps=hz

i don't know if is my problem (tv related) or general

happy new year anyway ^^

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Dec 2018, 17:48

amon.akira wrote:so no one? atleast someone can try to use scanline sync with a supersampling resolution > of native res and see if game catch fps=hz

happy new year anyway ^^
I'll give it a shot when I get the chance. I've heard many other people say that it doesn't work with DSR, so it might be related.

Happy new year :mrgreen:

amon.akira

Post by amon.akira » 31 Dec 2018, 18:48

RealNC wrote:
amon.akira wrote:so no one? atleast someone can try to use scanline sync with a supersampling resolution > of native res and see if game catch fps=hz

happy new year anyway ^^
I'll give it a shot when I get the chance. I've heard many other people say that it doesn't work with DSR, so it might be related.

Happy new year :mrgreen:
thanks man, but i dont use dsr, i use custom resolution...i think it can work fine with dsr because is internal rendering, but with nvidia if i enable custom res automatically disable dsr...however i dislike dsr too, because it use gaussian filter...i do create custom res like 3840x2160 or 2560x1440 on 1080p dislay for a clear image quality.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Jan 2019, 17:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Correct.

The Right Tool for The Right Job.

Frame rate cappinng is mainly useful for:

- Reduced lag with G-SYNC
- Resuced lag with FreeSync
- Reduced lag with VSYNC ON

Also:
- For game engine issues where game engine malfunctions at 1000fps, capping to 300 can be helpful with tha
- For tearline management, it can help you get tearingless VSYNC OFF if you correctly calibrate the tearline location (there's a way with Scanline capping to adjust the location of the tearline), but you have to follow the scanline instructions very closely. I can tell that you didn't adjust tearline location with custom Scanline settings. This tearingless VSYNC OFF mode can have less lag than VSYNC ON and look exactly the same (most of the time).

Capping is not going to reduce input lag of VSYNC OFF.
So imagine a 144hz monitor without FreeSync or Gsync. If i cap framerate to 141fps I will get a tearless experience even with Vsync OFF? So no need to turn Vsync ON + 141fps cap? 141fps cap alone will do? Thank you very much.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Jan 2019, 17:56

Notty_PT wrote:So imagine a 144hz monitor without FreeSync or Gsync. If i cap framerate to 141fps I will get a tearless experience even with Vsync OFF?
No. Where did you see that?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Jan 2019, 17:58

amon.akira wrote:thanks man, but i dont use dsr, i use custom resolution...i think it can work fine with dsr because is internal rendering, but with nvidia if i enable custom res automatically disable dsr...however i dislike dsr too, because it use gaussian filter...i do create custom res like 3840x2160 or 2560x1440 on 1080p dislay for a clear image quality.
Ah. Well, I can't test that then. My 1440p monitor doesn't accept and downscale custom higher resolutions.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Jan 2019, 18:31

RealNC wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:So imagine a 144hz monitor without FreeSync or Gsync. If i cap framerate to 141fps I will get a tearless experience even with Vsync OFF?
No. Where did you see that?
My bad, I read the Gsync article on the website and ignored the fact that without VRR things are different. So to avoid tearing on a non VRR 144hz screen I need Vsync ON and if I want to avoid higher input lag I should cap to 143fps, in game if possible (althi rtss works too but with a bit more lag) right?

So simply capping to 143 without vsync will not deliver tear free experience right?