RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
evilhf

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by evilhf » 14 Oct 2018, 19:19

I have the monitor benq xl2420z 144hz, and a geforce gtx1060 6gb.
Currently I have played Quakechampions and my frame rate with vsync turned off and around 210 to 260 fps.
I would like to know what exact value I should put in Scanline Sync from rivatuner to get stable 144fps with no tearing in the image.
By test put the value -10 in Scanline sync and my fps kept stable and without tears at 144hz, but I do not know if this value is correct.
Can someone help me?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Oct 2018, 21:41

evilhf wrote:I have the monitor benq xl2420z 144hz, and a geforce gtx1060 6gb.
Currently I have played Quakechampions and my frame rate with vsync turned off and around 210 to 260 fps.
I would like to know what exact value I should put in Scanline Sync from rivatuner to get stable 144fps with no tearing in the image.
By test put the value -10 in Scanline sync and my fps kept stable and without tears at 144hz, but I do not know if this value is correct.
Can someone help me?
If you don't see any tearing, then you have entered a good value. Usually, it's somewhere between -10 and -100. When you start at -200 or so, there should be tearing near the bottom of the screen. If you increase the value to -150, the tearing should be even closer to the bottom of the screen. Keep increasing the value until the tearing disappears in the bottom.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

evilhf

Post by evilhf » 15 Oct 2018, 00:51

OK thank you!
Another question.
is there any setting in Scanline sync that I can play with the fps unlocked (above 144hz) without tearing the screen?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Oct 2018, 09:47

evilhf wrote:is there any setting in Scanline sync that I can play with the fps unlocked (above 144hz) without tearing the screen?
Nope.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2018, 11:23

evilhf wrote:is there any setting in Scanline sync that I can play with the fps unlocked (above 144hz) without tearing the screen?
Nope.

However, if you don't mind locking framerate at DOUBLE the Hz, and you have the GPU headroom:

Alternative low-lag stutter-free tearing-free trick for STABLE double framerate

However, there's a compromise available: Combining scanline sync with NVIDIA Fast Sync / AMD Enhanced Sync. You can sync to twice the framerate of your Hz, for what can result in lower-lag mechanics in certain games.

To do this is somewhat fiddly.
1. First, turn VSYNC OFF.
2. Sync to a scanline slightly above middle of screen and right above bottom edge of screen.
3. Adjust until the bottommost VSYNC OFF tearline never, ever falls below bottom edge of screen.
4. Now enable NVIDIA Fast Sync or AMD Enhanced Sync.
5. The tearlines will disappear, but you're now getting smooth game motion (if your framerate permanently keeps up at exactly double Hz).

Step number 3 is super important because if tearline jitters very often touching the bottom edge of screen, you will get stutters when enabling AMD Enhanced Sync / NVIDIA Fast Sync. So calibrate with VSYNC OFF first, to make sure you have two permanently-visible stationary tearlines (first tearline roughly ~5-10% screenheight above middle of screen for SyncScanline0 setting, and second tearline roughly ~5-10% screenheight above bottom edge of screen for SyncScanline1 setting) before turning on NVIDIA Fast Sync or AMD Enhanced Sync. The tearline are your visual calibration targets before making them disappear. Tearline position pre-calibration is necessary in order to get stutter-free tear-free double-framerate with scanline sync.

In addition, your game cannot use 100% GPU during double-framerate operation. This is only stable if your GPU is nearly always only partially utilized even at double framerate. This tweak is MUCH more finicky than simple framerate-matching-Hz scanline sync.

Alternative trick for low-lag tearing-free

Since you're playing Quake Champions which can run at very high frame rates, try disabling RTSS, uncapping your Quake framerate and then using NVIDIA Fast Sync or AMD Enhanced Sync. Your sheer high framerate will render invisible most harmonic/beat frequencies (aka stutter) between framerate-versus-refreshrate. And the low-lag triple buffered mode of Fast Sync or Enhanced Sync will guarantee that the freshest rendered frame is the one that gets scanned out to the monitor.

Some games (not all) may malfunction in aiming at uncapped framerates, but give this a try, and compare the aimfeel. In both situations you may have slightly more lag than any tearing mode, unless the tearing/microstutters are wrecking your aim (and need the tweaks here on Blur Busters). The right tool for the right job, I say. Give these tweaks a try and figure out what makes your aiming faster and more precise.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ZoRG172

Post by ZoRG172 » 18 Nov 2018, 09:10

Tell me if I understand correctly. Hiding the tearing line when using nvidia dsr is impossible? I always play at a resolution of 2880x1620 (or higher if the performance allows) on my 1080p TV. But you can hide the tearing line only in native 1080p resolution. When using downsampling, it is always visible with any SyncScanline0 variables.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Nov 2018, 09:17

ZoRG172 wrote:Tell me if I understand correctly. Hiding the tearing line when using nvidia dsr is impossible? I always play at a resolution of 2880x1620 (or higher if the performance allows) on my 1080p TV. But you can hide the tearing line only in native 1080p resolution. When using downsampling, it is always visible with any SyncScanline0 variables.
Does it also happen when you set all graphics settings to the lowest possible in the game?

ZoRG172

Post by ZoRG172 » 18 Nov 2018, 10:53

RealNC wrote:Does it also happen when you set all graphics settings to the lowest possible in the game?
Yes, gpu load 50-60%. Tearing line generally behaves inappropriately with a non-native resolution. It reaches the beginning of the 2 \ 3 screen with the values SyncScanline0 = 1630 and then immediately jumps up to tenth line. The same is true for the values of SyncScanline0 -10, -1, in general, always on the tenth (approximately) line above or below at the beginning of 2/3 of the screen. With native 1080p, everything works as it should. It is a pity it seems downsampling and scanline sync are incompatible. There are games where there is an internal slider scaling of the render, or play in 1080p ... or buy 4k TV, but I would like to wait for hdmi 2.1 and honest 120hz at the entrance, if this is of course when it happens.

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 27 Nov 2018, 23:00

Why does my frame rate dip when I do this at 1280x720 vs 1920x1080? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

1920x1080

1280x720

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2018, 23:47

What is your refresh rate? From the numbers, it implies you're running at 75Hz because you're setting two scanlines to allow 150 frames per second, correct?

I need to make sure you're using scanline sync correctly -- If you're trying framerate=refreshrate (matching Hz) then you should delete Sync Line 1 (set to 0).

But if you're trying twice the framerate as refreshrate, your goal is 2 x 75Hz = 150fps, correct? I don't think you're using 50Hz (2 x 50Hz = 100fps)

So my questions are:
(1) What is your refresh rate?
(2) Your configuration intends to run at a framerate exactly twice Hz. Correct?
...........If you only want framerate=refreshrate, then you made a mistake. Delete Sync Scanline 1 (remove or make zero) ... and use a nonzero number only with Sync Scanline 0
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!