RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Bishi

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by Bishi » 30 Jun 2018, 12:52

RealNC wrote:
Bishi wrote:Oh maybe I misread something, I was expecting a visual indicator of where the tear line was expected like a line on the screen. oops
Nope. You just watch the tearline and move it up/down until it disappears from the screen :)
Haha i feel like a fool now!

Blackdragonbird

Post by Blackdragonbird » 03 Jul 2018, 09:42

Hi, new here, created this account only to follow in this new features of Rivatuner.

Saw it on guru3d, and came here to see if I can get better information to basic user.

I have and old X-Star DP2710 overclocked to 96hz, and like to use RT frame limiter to lock games in multiples of it (24-48-96 or 32-64-96) and usually use v-sync disabled. Unfortunately my GTX970 can't handle 1440p enough, and limiting my framerate avoids overheat and stutter in games.

My first question is, is possible to use this new option to limit my framerates this way? Like the NVInspector option of 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 refresh rate? But to get 24, 32, 48 or 64 limits if my GPU can't handle a game at 96fps?

Thanks. :geek:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 10:49

Blackdragonbird wrote:My first question is, is possible to use this new option to limit my framerates this way? Like the NVInspector option of 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 refresh rate? But to get 24, 32, 48 or 64 limits if my GPU can't handle a game at 96fps?
You can in the next beta (not yet released,) but it might not be good on a 970, unless you're running old or light games. You can get severe stutter, or still get tearing, depending on whether you set SyncFlush to 0, 1 or 2.

0: No flushing, but that means tearline will get out of control if the game needs more than ~30% GPU.
1: Fast flushing on DX10 and DX11 games, tearing will be limited to top and bottom of the screen.
2: Full flushing, no tearing, but heavy stutter if the games needs more than ~30% GPU.

Anyway, once the next beta is out, you will be able to test the 1/N sync mode. 32FPS might be OK, 48FPS will probably be too much.

Have you tried a low-lag vsync RTSS cap with 1/2 vsync set in inspector? That should at least make input lag bearable compared to uncapped 1/2 vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Blackdragonbird

Post by Blackdragonbird » 03 Jul 2018, 11:56

Thanks for the information. Seems like is time to get a new GPU. But I will try to keep this one until GTX 12(30?) series.
RealNC wrote:Have you tried a low-lag vsync RTSS cap with 1/2 vsync set in inspector? That should at least make input lag bearable compared to uncapped 1/2 vsync.
You mean setting the refresh rate and limiting in RTSS to the same framerate? 1/2 v-sync with 48fps limit in RTSS or 1/3 v-sync with 32fps limit?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 12:14

Blackdragonbird wrote:You mean setting the refresh rate and limiting in RTSS to the same framerate? 1/2 v-sync with 48fps limit in RTSS or 1/3 v-sync with 32fps limit?
I mean the FPS = Hz - 0.01 method, but for 1/N vsync. Which means FPS = Hz / N - 0.01.

I have a guide here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

And there's also a Blur Busters article about it:

https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on

But remember to adapt this for 1/N vsync. As an example, for 1/2 vsync, if your detected Hz is something like 96.051Hz, then you:
  • Make sure the game will run at that 96Hz mode.
  • Set vsync to "1/2" in inspector.
  • Verify the 1/2 vsync setting actually took hold by running the game uncapped and verifying it now runs at 48FPS.
  • Set the RTSS limiter to 48.016 (which is the result of 96.051 / 2 - 0.01).
The "verify" step is necessary because sometimes, when you set 1/N vsync in a game's profile in inspector, it doesn't actually work until you reboot first. Used to be a driver bug, not sure if it's fixed now.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Blackdragonbird

Post by Blackdragonbird » 03 Jul 2018, 21:13

Thanks, I will look into the guide.

But I have to say that what I'm looking is smoothness, screen tearing and input lag do not bother me much. Well, screen tearing bother a little if it is too present, and occur right in the middle of screen. What really irritate me is stutter and micro freezes, I prefer to have a lower framerate but constant, than a high framerate that in some points simple micro freeze and my camera returns in another position. :)

*Updating: Followed the guide and found that my refresh rate is exactly 96hz, oscillating from 95.999 to 96.001.

Activated v-sync in my games and limited them in desired framerate-0.10. I'm playing Recore and Mashinky right now and the 2 of them are running much better and smooth after the tweak. The strange thing is, if I change any value for Maximum Pre Rendered Frames in Inspector, the 2 games starts to stutter, no matter the value I choose. But I'm happy already.

Thanks. :D

framepacer

Post by framepacer » 07 Jul 2018, 13:22

Scanline x/2 (half) sync at 60fps@120hz is causing me heavy fps drops in Kingdom Come when I look at the village etc. FPS drops to 40, 50 and gpu + combined cpu usage is at 40% the whole time.
If i turn off scanline sync i can maintain 120fps with gpu and cpu usage to spare in the same area.
Anyone get similar issues?

7bhsq

Post by 7bhsq » 25 Jul 2018, 23:02

I can't seem to get this to work. I'm using 7.2.0 Beta 4. All I need to do is set "Scanline sync" to a non 0 number right?

Why is it limiting my framerate to 60 when I'm using a refresh rate of 144hz?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 6806 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2018, 01:27

7bhsq wrote:I can't seem to get this to work. I'm using 7.2.0 Beta 4. All I need to do is set "Scanline sync" to a non 0 number right?

Why is it limiting my framerate to 60 when I'm using a refresh rate of 144hz?
Hmmm. Does it run 144fps when scanline sync is turned off?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

7bhsq

Post by 7bhsq » 26 Jul 2018, 10:11

The monitor's OSD is displaying 144hz and the ULMB+GSync trick capped at 141 FPS is working as expected. The game I was testing with (Enter the Gungeon) runs at over 300 FPS when uncapped.