RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2018, 21:12

OK, it seems to work perfectly fine with older games. DX9, to be exact. As soon as I try a DX11 game, I get the "tear band" behavior.

Will test some more.

Note: For TESTING, it's best to sync to the top of the screen, in order to see the tear line. So:

Code: Select all

[Framerate]
Limit=0
SyncScanline0=1
SyncScanline1=0
SyncTimeout=0
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2018, 22:04

Tested more games, and it seems it doesn't have anything to do with DX version. It's only about GPU load. Games that don't use the GPU at all (like very old games, or modern 2D-style games like platformers), work perfectly with this. More demanding games do not work well at all.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2018, 13:05

So perfect tearingless VSYNC OFF (low-lag VSYNC ON) is achieved in games that have very short GPU rendertimes.

You also mentioned it works with CS:GO too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 May 2018, 03:37

Yes, in CS:GO there's not much GPU-load on a 980 Ti at 60FPS. I assume it would also work well in older Quake games and such, or Half-Life 1/2, Unreal 3, etc.

In pretty much any non-ancient game though, this isn't working well at all. If a game is even slightly loading your GPU, the tearing becomes much worse than just plain old vsync off.

valdeski

Post by valdeski » 02 Jun 2018, 16:20

Just tried in some games without much success, here is some behavior I experienced, first being that the SyncScanline0 isn't very accurate even at low GPU usage and it can be all over the place for just one exception(game) where it was amazingly accurate.
Second being that SyncScanline0=1 start already at 1/4 of my 1080p@hz screen, expected behavior I've read and using SyncScanline0=500 does moves the tearline even further to the bottom but then combined with the huge variance in accuracy sometimes it goes back to the top! and higher values are often similar to SyncScanline0=1 starting point.
Third, is that some values produce weird framepacing that looks like a heartbeat and are very consistent, I don't know this is expected behavior, some of the values were SyncScanline0=500, 923, but 924 was okay then it happened again at 925.

Now the game where I had amazing results was Battlefield Bad Company 2 (DirectX9 mode) with SGSSAA 8x running in a GTX 970 so GPU usage was often close to 70% in some areas with the average being 50%
The RTSS settings I used
SyncScanline0=1050
SyncScanline1=0
SyncTimeout=0

Yep, that put tearline very close to the bottom and it was almost indiscernible, it is still there but darn it is almost impossible to see, not only that but it stays there! and there are no weird framepacing issues.
it was perfect!
If only every game would behave like that it would be amazing.
Another thing I tried with useplatformclock no/yes and disabledynamictick no/yes and didn't noticed any difference.

--

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2018, 17:48

valdeski, thank you for your feedback!
Yes, keying on bottom edge of screen is best for tearline-hiding.

For scanline RTSS tests, more recommendations:

To Tweakers Easy Tip #1:
Modify config to time tearline (scanline) to bottom edge or near bottom edge, not top edge. See if it improves results.
Because:
(A) GPU less busy with background tasks (e.g. Windows compositor) when scanout near bottom.
(B) The blanking interval gives you a jitter margin to hide tearlines.

To Tweakers Easy Tip #2:
Please use Control Panel to change refresh rate, not via monitor button. Some gaming monitors include a refresh-rate-change button. I get framepacing problems due to driver bugs and Windows bugs receiving refresh rate changes forced by dynamically-changing monitor EDIDs (it behaves as if you rapidly unplugged & replugged a monitor in a fraction of a second). Other monitors may use a background app for refresh-rate-change management, but some monitors use dynamic EDID changes instead. I've even sometimes get bluescreens (Windows 10 frownyfaces) if I try to do that in the middle of 3D applications.

To Tweakers Easy Tip #3:
Please use single-monitor for tests. Mixed-Hz multimonitor setups can cause beamracing / framepacing problems (and input lag problems!) with some graphics drivers when used with RTSS. Temporarily disable secondary monitors for now, re-enable later. Yes, that means you competitive players -- displaying static HOWTO pages in Notepad on a secondary 60Hz monitor can actually lag down your 240Hz eSports monitor a bit -- so be forewarned.

Advanced Tip
For Advanced Users Only. Use Custom Resolution Utility to create a Large Vertical total for a longer delay between refresh cycles. This gives more room for tearlines to jitter hidden between refresh cycles. If you use Large Vertical Totals (big VBI / big blanking intervals), the jitter amplitude room is much larger. Not all monitors support a Large Vertical Total at their highest Hz, but if you're doing lower-Hz strobing, then you will probably be able to attempt a larger vertical total on some brands of blur reduction modes (e.g. BenQ, Zowie, LG, Zisworks). A good Large Vertical Total can sometimes prevent vibrating tearlines from showing up simultaneously at top and bottom edges.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 17 Jun 2018, 07:23

Is there a list somewhere of the “power user” profile settings? In particular the ones for the new micro-second frametime specification and the throttle time.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 20 Jun 2018, 04:53

Hi guys,

Was just attempting this but I don't seem to be able to get the scanlines to show?

I've uninstalled RTSS completely and re-installed the new beta with default settings. Added the following to the global file under OSD:
PerformanceProfiler=2
SyncInfo=1
SyncScanline0=1
SyncScanline1=1
SyncTimeout=0

I can see the new performance info but no other diagnostic info (not a game I am really testing against, just quick to open to check the OSD)
https://snag.gy/acLKXT.jpg

This is with SLI enabled / disabled, secondary monitors enabled / disabled and VSYNC on / off

I'm supposed to see visual indicators on screen right?
Am i being really slow this morning? :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Jun 2018, 05:30

Have you enabled "show own statistics" in the RTSS settings dialog?