RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster based)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: RTSS now has new automatic Low-Lag VSYNC ON (raster base

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jun 2018, 15:29

Just to be sure, if you're looking at tearing indicator at the edge....

If RTSS is synchronized perfectly, and your system is consistent/fast/stable enough, the sync indicators is exactly between refresh cycles so you won't see the tearing indicator. Basically tearing in the VBI is completely offscreen and invisible (the ~5% of the time that the video output is pausing between refresh cycles -- less than 0.5ms per refresh cycle).

Try setting a scanline number such as 540 -- middle of screen -- and you'll probably see the indicator show up.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

os4321

Post by os4321 » 20 Jun 2018, 18:29

Bishi wrote:Hi guys,

Was just attempting this but I don't seem to be able to get the scanlines to show?

I've uninstalled RTSS completely and re-installed the new beta with default settings. Added the following to the global file under OSD:
PerformanceProfiler=2
SyncInfo=1
SyncScanline0=1
SyncScanline1=1
SyncTimeout=0
I believe you need to move the following 3 lines to be under the [Framerate] section instead of the [OSD] section:

Code: Select all

SyncScanline0=1
SyncScanline1=1
SyncTimeout=0

Putzo

Post by Putzo » 21 Jun 2018, 15:57

I am looking for a volunteer or freelancer (paid), or a partner with another website (will pitch in funds too) to commission 1000fps high speed camera tests of these new modes. 1000fps tests are time consuming so I'm happy to incentivize this. Low-rez 1000fps like Casio EX-FC200S or EX-ZR200 or other similar camera are suitable for input lag tests of RTSS settings. Quick brief tests, or longer extensive tests. Inquire within, [email protected]
There is this austrian dude on youtube who have been doing all sorts of framerate and input lag tests for quite some time now. He already have a high FPS camera as well as a rigged mouse with a LED setup for testing such high speed scenarios. He started doing *simple* BF4 netcode analysis but went fullblown network/vsync/input lag shenaningans quite fast after that.

Link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/xFPxAUTh0r1ty/videos

Look up his channel for `fast sync` to his techinical analsysis of nVidia fast sync vs the rest.

ps: does this forum really need a old school registration system? can't some form of a guest sytem work nowadays? quite annoying this old vBulletin reg process...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2018, 16:16

Oh! Yes, I know Battle(non)sense already -- we already have a guest article:
The Basics of Network Lag – with Battle(non)sense

Yes, we're aware.... The forum will be upgraded within a few months -- and will modernize its registration system. (P.S. Blur Busters will soon be again looking for some Wordpress+phpbb help in this regards)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jun 2018, 21:37

Fantastic news!

Improved Tearingless VSYNC OFF
(the ultralow lag "VSYNC ON" equivalent)

BETA-ONLY-FEATURE for advanced tweakers...

This feature is better in the newer RTSS beta.

Download the new RTSS beta and add these settings:

Code: Select all

[Framerate]
Limit=0
SyncFlush=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncScanline0=1
SyncScanline1=1
SyncTimeout=0
Then start your favourite game in VSYNC OFF. Then use Shift+Up/Shift+Down to adjust the position of your tearline offscreen.

Now you've got tearingless VSYNC OFF in CS:GO and your other older games / emulators / etc.

Perfect for low-lag ULMB/strobed operation without strobed jittering.

Comments welcome.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Jun 2018, 23:30

Read the couple of posts after that too. Setting SyncFlush to 1 and 2 severely impacts performance, but 2 especially vastly improves tearline positioning.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2018, 12:33

Yep. That's why it's best to use for games that aren't pushing the GPU fully.

You want enough performance headroom, in order to utilize the excess horsepower in successfully creating the low-lag VSYNC ON mode. So if a 300fps games gets capped at 120fps for ULMB, it won't be a problem.

framepacer

Post by framepacer » 27 Jun 2018, 07:48

Thanks to Unwinder and Chief Blur Buster for this. You guys are doing god's work.
I'm especially sensitive to inputlag above everything and I've wanted something like this for years.
There are a lot of very nice monitors that don't have VRR and this opens are lot of new options for everyone.

I've tested the syncflush=1 tearingless vsync off method by moving the scanline0 to the bottom edge. It works perfectly in a few modern dx11 games I've tried where my gpu is low. It's simply amazing. In high gpu (~80%) usage games I've noticed the tearband is wider and there are often random tearlines.

I've got a few questions for methods I haven't tried.
Do the vsync on methods require SyncFlush=0?
Do you still need to move the tearline in these vsync on methods or should I do SyncScanline0=VT-100 like RealNC mentioned?
Do vsync on methods also require low gpu usage? If so, wouldn't refreshrate-0.01 still be a lot better?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Jun 2018, 07:56

I'm not sure anymore if scanline sync is actually recommended with vsync on. It doesn't seem to work well at all. Use the usual -0.01Hz cap when using vsync and disable scanline sync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

framepacer

Post by framepacer » 28 Jun 2018, 07:07

Ah, I see. I'm more interested in vsync off anyways.
We've got scanline sync at refreshrate and at x2 refreshrate now in the gui with beta3. Wonder if it's possible to get x0.5 scanline sync as well?

Would be a huge boon on high refresh rate monitors as a lot of games don't simply allow you to set a different refresh rate in the video options anymore.