ASUS VG278Q 144Hz mode stuttering

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Falkentyne

Re: ASUS VG278Q 144Hz mode stuttering

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Aug 2018, 09:26

Were these New in Box GENUINE VG278Q's ?
I highly doubt these are genuine because genuine ones don't do this.

I know what stuttering you're talking about on these things. But I've ONLY seen this when trying to use Lightboost mode with incorrect Vertical Totals at wrong refresh rates, e.g. Trying to make 125hz work in Lightboost mode by using a higher Vertical Total than 1149 (you can make the same thing happen on a Benq).

Can you post the exact timings you used when you tried 125hz (including all porch, sync and VT values) and 144hz (144hz should use VT 1098 only, and much lower porch and sync (pretty sure it was 24/3 and 32/5 for 144hz, rather than the standard 48/3 and 32/5 used at 100hz and 120hz (and 125hz)).

Use ToastyX CRU To create a custom resolution.
Don't use the NVCP or the AMD utility.

144hz should be:
front porch pixels/lines: 24/3
sync width 32/5
HT: 2008
VT: 1098

125hz is simply:
48/3
32/5
2080, 1146 HT/VT (125hz).
Vertical total 1098

whateverdude

Post by whateverdude » 08 Aug 2018, 12:07

Hi, I just recently bought a brand new ASUS VG278Q and I am having same issues. Ive seen a few reviews claiming this isnt acutally a 144hz monitor just that ASUS false advertisement and its actually a 120hz (possibly). The monitor works perfectly on 120hz but as soon as you go 1 hz higher it starts skipping.

Ok so i tried using toasty's CRU and i set the values as you told me to but im not sure if im doing it correctly.

What i did:
1. Run CRU as admin.
2. Create new ''detailed res'' with the values you posted. 1920x1080 144hz (1098 2008 / Pixel clock was set to 317.49 automatically)
3. Restarted CRU as it said ''restart required'' 4.Went to Display settings and set 1920x1080 144hz... BAM still frame skipping...

All help is appreciated thank you.

Edit: Okay so I tried making a custom res in Nvidia settings with the same values as you told me on 144hz and i did realize that the native one (1920x1080 144hz) had different values (Higher VT / HT) than the ones you posted. So I changed them to your ones (2008 / 1098) and the Monitor is still frame skipping BUT slightly LESS now. Is there an even lower way to put the VT / HT value ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Aug 2018, 21:58

whateverdude wrote:3. Restarted CRU as it said ''restart required'' 4.Went to Display settings and set 1920x1080 144hz... BAM still frame skipping...
"Restart required" means you need to restart your PC, or run the "restart64.exe" tool in the CRU folder. In other words, the GPU driver needs to be restarted, not CRU. In fact, CRU does not need to be running after you do your edits. Everything you do in CRU is stored in the Windows registry, and those entries are read by the GPU driver when it starts.

When you run the restart64.exe tool, the driver is restarted without rebooting. If your edits are wrong and you get a blank display, you either wait for like 10 seconds after which the tool will restore your previous, working mode, or you press F8 to restore the previous mode immediately.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Aug 2018, 00:37

Ok I had a brain fart and just realized these are NOT VG248QE's.

I assumed you guys had VG248QE's, which are always 144hz.

The Asus VG278H was a 120hz monitor while the VG278HE was 144hz.
I'm not sure if one used a CMO (CMI?) panel and the other used an AUO panel (possibly the same one in the Benq XL2720Z ? I forgot) or if they both were CMI/CMO panels). Chimei or whatever that company is called.

I never heard of a VG278Q.

Looks like this is simply a 120hz panel. Anyone know what panel this thing is? It for sure can't be AU Optronics if 144hz isn't working....

ghosty

Post by ghosty » 16 Aug 2018, 11:47

Hello guys it's me again,

Just to be clear and precise : It's a VG278Q not another one (HQ or something), i bought it on a very great french reseller called Materiel.net and ... it's a 144hz because basically ... it's wrote on the monitor packaging .... xD

Take a look at the link below : https://www.materiel.net/ecran-lcd/asus ... 52647.html

So, i sended back my first monitor the previous week, the one with the problem above 120hz... skipping etc etc
I received a new one just today, not the same, i'm certain, they have not the same S/N.

I was ... happy but then ... lol... basically the same fucking exact problem.... the guys from Materiel.net told me that sometimes some monitor can have that kind of problem, but now it's 2 bad monitor in a row... and it has exactly the same symptoms...

So, as someone mentioned i suspect Asus to be a silly bastard, telling people that the monitor is 144hz but in reality it's clearly not ...
I'm going to re-send back the second one and i'll wait for the third monitor, witch should have the same behaviour (if Asus is lying) ...

I hope not, but i'm clearly very suspicious now to Asus ...

I'll try the custom settings to find out if it's possible to have a stable 144hz, i'll give you my feedback soon :)

I'm clearly disapointed by Asus ... tought they were better than that :P

Take a look at the monitor package :

And the S/N of the first and the second monitor :

EDIT: So i tried the Falkentyne's settings ... and yes it's a little bit better but not smooth as it should be ... clearly not :/

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Aug 2018, 12:28

ghosty wrote:Hello guys it's me again,

Just to be clear and precise : It's a VG278Q not another one (HQ or something), i bought it on a very great french reseller called Materiel.net and ... it's a 144hz because basically ... it's wrote on the monitor packaging .... xD

Take a look at the link below : https://www.materiel.net/ecran-lcd/asus ... 52647.html

So, i sended back my first monitor the previous week, the one with the problem above 120hz... skipping etc etc
I received a new one just today, not the same, i'm certain, they have not the same S/N.

I was ... happy but then ... lol... basically the same fucking exact problem.... the guys from Materiel.net told me that sometimes some monitor can have that kind of problem, but now it's 2 bad monitor in a row... and it has exactly the same symptoms...

So, as someone mentioned i suspect Asus to be a silly bastard, telling people that the monitor is 144hz but in reality it's clearly not ...
I'm going to re-send back the second one and i'll wait for the third monitor, witch should have the same behaviour (if Asus is lying) ...

I hope not, but i'm clearly very suspicious now to Asus ...

I'll try the custom settings to find out if it's possible to have a stable 144hz, i'll give you my feedback soon :)

I'm clearly disapointed by Asus ... tought they were better than that :P

Take a look at the monitor package :

And the S/N of the first and the second monitor :

EDIT: So i tried the Falkentyne's settings ... and yes it's a little bit better but not smooth as it should be ... clearly not :/
Chief?

This is getting really...disturbing. I've never seen a manufacturer release a monitor that could not perform at its advertised ratings. Asus never did this before. Besides the PG278Q Swifts and Benq XL2730Z panels failing prematurely in the EXACT same ways--not the electronics nor the Gsync module or scaler-but the panel ITSELF failing (both use the same panel, just with different housings--CallsignVega disassembled one and found they are the exact same panel), I never saw any panels released that couldn't work at advertised ratings. Until this one.

Even with all the ghosting and quality problems, the VG278HE (144hz) WITHOUT the integrated 3d emitter still worked without stuttering at 144hz and 120hz. And Chief was flaming mad about the quality problems. The older VG278H which was 120hz only and came with a 3d emitter, had higher quality and less ghosting and artifacts.

right Chief?
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2469

This is the first time in recent history that Asus released a 120hz monitor advertised as 144hz.
If this is just a firmware bug.....well good luck flashing the firmware to fix it... :/ How did this get out the door without QA testing?

adiofr3ak

Post by adiofr3ak » 12 Sep 2018, 10:39

Did anyone ever find out any more information on this? I have the exact same issue with the exact same monitor. Anything above 121hz causes micro stuttering. It isn't TERRIBLE, but it is annoying. I tried everything I could think of and every suggestion that I could find but nothing seems to make any difference. Drivers, cables, other computers, etc. The issue is constant if you try anything above 121hz. Hoping there is something else I can try.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Sep 2018, 11:00

I don't think there's anything you can do. Asus sold a broken monitor to people and they have to either return it, or live with it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

miklle

Post by miklle » 16 Sep 2018, 00:52

I had just bought VG258Q few days ago, VG258Q is the same exact model with screen of 25" ...
" SAME AS THE ONE POSTED HERE, STUTTER ALL THE WAY >>>> "
I even follow the expert advise, don't trust the stock cable,so I buy a VESA certified expensive DP cable.
Feels snappier, but but still stutter all the way ... That cable is 1/5 the price of this monitor ... FxxK

NOW ... am satisfied with this monitor now, NOT HAPPY but satisfied only ...
Here is how I do it ...
The monitor start up with a logo at the down right corner says " HDMI "...
So, I use my previouse HDMI ver. 1.4 CABLE ... WOW , everything is sooo smooth now, even tearing is almost none ...
BUT you can only runs at 120Hz max, 120Hz is smooth in games also, and I don't see any tearings ...

miklle

Post by miklle » 16 Sep 2018, 18:56

CONCLUSION / REVIEW : ASUS VG258Q ...

Not worth the price, it just a 100 dollar quality monitor with better speed ...
YES, you spent more than half of it's price buying the " SPEED " ...
A 150 dollar monitor . color quality can be better han this one ...
The viewing angle will only be direct stragiht, any slight tilt of you neck and
the color will change ...

About the speed ... 144Hz is a hoax, yes , you can run 144Hz but with a lot
of sttuter and jiggler ... So the DP port is pointless ...
Besides ... when you turn on this monitor , there is a big " HDMI " logo shown
at the corner .. ( why not diplayport or DVI logo )
AND YES, when using the HDMI port, which yo can only run at 120Hz,
but this 120Hz is flawless silk smooth .. everything is sooo smooth, even
web scrolling ...

AS I mention, you pay half of it's price buying the 120Hz smoothness ...