Eizo Foris FG2421 - Where was yours made? Are you happy?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MonarchX

Eizo Foris FG2421 - Where was yours made? Are you happy?

Post by MonarchX » 07 Mar 2014, 13:05

I just returned my latest purchase - Samsung S27C750P because of how Samsung does business these days. They make these monitors in 2 different places - Mexico and China. Chinese versions have awesome contrast ratio of 4000:1+, but the ones made in Mexico barely make it to 2500:1. Samsung pays BestBuys and other stores to display/show/demo units made in China, but to sell units made in Mexico. In Europe, where this monitor is more expensive, it is sold at a higher price, but only the version made in China is sold. Europe always gets higher quality versions because people there are more quality-oriented, unlike most US customers. Almost all review sites tested the version made in China... This is typical with Samsung VA panel lottery and AFAIK some other companies, which brings me to the important questions:

1. Were did you buy your Eizo Foris FG2421?
2. Where was your unit made (should say somewhere on the unit)?
3. Who made it? (Sharp?)
4. Do you have any obvious light bleeding, checkerboarding effect, or other issues?
5. If you have access to colorimeter - what is your contrast ratio?
6. Are you happy with it?
7. Any ideas what causes this - http://i.minus.com/iLMtKVb7ecFRV.JPG ?

The reason I am asking is because this panel may be manufactured in different places and that may affect unit quality. There are actually a bunch of bad reports that talk about severe light bleeding (from the right side), obvious checkerboarding, and much lower contrast ratio, with a black point of 0.06 cd/m^2 when white point is set to 120 cd/m^2. I can't be sure of accuracy of those results as they were made with inaccurate equipment, but you never know!

I know one version is made in Japan, but I am not sure where others were made. I also know that Sharp is the company that makes them.

MonarchX

Re: Eizo Foris FG2421 - Where was yours made? Are you happy?

Post by MonarchX » 08 Mar 2014, 13:36

SERIOUSLY? Nobody here has it?

InskayDanork

Post by InskayDanork » 08 Mar 2014, 15:46

Well I took a look on the amzon rewiews today, the chances of getting a working monitor are pretty low (One guy gave up after his sixth monitor, but there also was someone who got one without dead pixels nor backlighting problems).
I cannot tell you were each of these monitors were produced as noone wrote that in his rewiev :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2014, 15:57

MonarchX wrote:SERIOUSLY? Nobody here has it?
Several do, but the people haven't logged on since the time you posted. (e.g. CallSignVega). I'll ping him to make a reply -- if he has time! :-) This forum is still ultra-brand-new, so we're still growing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 08 Mar 2014, 22:44

MonarchX wrote: 1. Were did you buy your Eizo Foris FG2421?
2. Where was your unit made (should say somewhere on the unit)?
3. Who made it? (Sharp?)
4. Do you have any obvious light bleeding, checkerboarding effect, or other issues?
5. If you have access to colorimeter - what is your contrast ratio?
6. Are you happy with it?
7. Any ideas what causes this - http://i.minus.com/iLMtKVb7ecFRV.JPG ?
1. Pcnation, but it was just drop shipped from Eizo.
2. Japan, all 3 made on Oct 4th 2013.
3. The panel is made by Sharp. Eizo makes the rest.
4. Slight cross hatch, slight color change on right border under certain tones and slight image blurring on the right bottom sides.
5. Contrast ratio numbers are well published from many professional review sites and I have no doubt about their accuracy. Contrast and blacks are simply amazing on my samples.
6. Overall yes. Best gaming monitors currently out there. Only thing that may challenge them or surpass them is the ROG Swift.
7. Could be many things and all of these monitors have it to some degree. Luckily mine fare pretty good. It isn't BLB as black images are fantastic, it's some sort of design issue with the panel or its backlight.

Overall though the pro's far overweight the con's.

saprer

Post by saprer » 09 Mar 2014, 04:24

hello vega,
You got 3 FW900's right?
can u tell me wich one is better: Eizo or FW900?
and how does the FW900 compare with Asus vg248qe?

boniek

Post by boniek » 09 Mar 2014, 11:43

MonarchX wrote: 7. Any ideas what causes this - http://i.minus.com/iLMtKVb7ecFRV.JPG ?
AFAIK all VA panels (high contrast ones anyway) have this weakness. It's called gamma shift I believe. No way around that. Thats why I prefer IPS/PLS although they usually have much less contrast.
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 09 Mar 2014, 17:54

InskayDanork wrote:Well I took a look on the amzon rewiews today, the chances of getting a working monitor are pretty low (One guy gave up after his sixth monitor, but there also was someone who got one without dead pixels nor backlighting problems).
I cannot tell you were each of these monitors were produced as noone wrote that in his rewiev :/
Could you point me to those reviews?

So far, after reading different forums, I found like 4-5 users, SAME EXACT as on other forums, complaining about this monitor. There there is Vega, who probably secretly works for Eizo (J/K) and spreads the good word. Then, there is one review on NewEgg and one review on Amazon.com by the SAME exact individual (James Robinson), who, it seems, also spreads the good word. Why leave a positive review in 2 different places? I find that those Full First Name * Last Name reviewers are erm... fake product owners!

So far there were slightly more bad reports than good ones. As a marketing major, I know that someone who was really wronged by a product is going to spread those news as far as possible. Someone who is content is not likely to post anything at all, and some who are very happy with it will spread the good word in a few places, but not to the same degree as those who were disappointed.

Where is BlurBusters review? I thought it already came out, but its likely that units keep being swapped until a good unit arrives to be worthy of review :o

felvhage

Post by felvhage » 10 Mar 2014, 12:15

I had one of the first units from Amazon- Germany and i also wrote a review. I'm afraid i did not check where it was produced.

Bottom line of my review:
- excellent blacks/contrast
- good motion clarity but not as good as lightboosthack on my xl2420t
- a tiny bit more inputlag (but still good)
- Ergonomics (stand, size) not as good as my xl2420t
- some problem with coating or backlight that made the edges - especially one corner - look really "washed out".
- Then there were two dead pixels aswell, so i decieded to send it back

Assuming it is possible to get a monitor without dead pixels and washed out edges i would find that the excellent contrast overcompensates the little less motion clarity and ergonomics. I would say the gaming experience is superior to my xl2420t-lightboost. But since i already have a lightboost-able monitor the upgrade was just not big enough to justify the 500 Euro pricetag. For anyone that hasnt got a lightboost monitor i believe it is the best choice atm.

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 10 Mar 2014, 19:49

I have VG248QE but it cannot produce neutral grays in this test - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php . The dark gray portion of the gradient are purple regardless of calibration settings... I can't stand it... I assume other LightBoost monitors that use the same panel have the same issue.