High resolution monitors

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jurtt

High resolution monitors

Post by Jurtt » 04 Jun 2018, 11:02

Guys all hello! Update my PC. The truth so far is not a PC but only a monitor. I looked at a lot of reviews on YouTube and branded sites. Interested specifically curved monitors (for some reason it seems to me that with them all the games will look cool). But there are a few questions that remain to be unimportant. :oops:
1) basically all monitors are 60 hz; I got the information that for games this is not enough to wash and you need to take at least 120-144 hz (supposedly more FPS and games will go faster)
2) follows from the first: response time; I want to take an IPS matrix or similar, but they still have such a parameter as the response time. On average, they are 4-5 ms. How does this and 1 parameter work together? Maybe enough and 60 hz but if the response time is not more than 5 ms
3) Diagonal and expansion. The information also came (and logically I guessed it myself) that the larger the diagonal, and the correspondingly larger screen resolution on it should be (for example, it's better to take 25 'and 1900x1200 pixels, rather than the same screen resolution at 27'). Monitors with 4k and more are already too expensive, and on average such monitors at 34 'offer 3440x1440. As an example, I considered a Dell U3417W or similar in the parameters of LG 34UC80 here . Tell me, will this be enough? Who used?
4) and the last. I have dry eye syndrome and my eyes are very sensitive to light from the monitor. I need to pick up a monitor without PWN technology (preferably, or at least with some kind of protection modes). Can you tell me if there are any? What technologies can be considered? Thank you in advance! :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: High resolution monitors

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2018, 15:17

Jurtt wrote:1) basically all monitors are 60 hz; I got the information that for games this is not enough to wash and you need to take at least 120-144 hz (supposedly more FPS and games will go faster)
Indeed, there are many benefits. Doubling the framerate halves motion blur on a flickerfree LCD.
Jurtt wrote:2) follows from the first: response time; I want to take an IPS matrix or similar, but they still have such a parameter as the response time. On average, they are 4-5 ms. How does this and 1 parameter work together? Maybe enough and 60 hz but if the response time is not more than 5 ms
Response time can be important to an extent but remember that there are two different kinds of response time measurements. GtG and MPRT. There are situations where 1ms MPRT response is 16 times better than 1ms GtG response. (Low MPRTs is achieved via a blur-reduction strobe backlight).
However, 4-5ms GtG for IPS is okay, but if you're looking for massive reductions in motion blur -- look for a Motion Blur Reduction mode such as ULMB.
Jurtt wrote:3) Diagonal and expansion. The information also came (and logically I guessed it myself) that the larger the diagonal, and the correspondingly larger screen resolution on it should be (for example, it's better to take 25 'and 1900x1200 pixels, rather than the same screen resolution at 27'). Monitors with 4k and more are already too expensive, and on average such monitors at 34 'offer 3440x1440. As an example, I considered a Dell U3417W or similar in the parameters of LG 34UC80 here . Tell me, will this be enough? Who used?
Depends on your priorities. Are you doing more gaming or more desktop? Programming? Etc.

Sometimes for gaming, higher Hz is much more important than higher resolution -- that can produce less eyestrain to raise framerate instead of raise resolution. But it depends. How many % gaming? How many % desktop?
Jurtt wrote:4) and the last. I have dry eye syndrome and my eyes are very sensitive to light from the monitor. I need to pick up a monitor without PWN technology (preferably, or at least with some kind of protection modes). Can you tell me if there are any? What technologies can be considered? Thank you in advance! :)
Today, most gaming monitors are now PWM-free except when you enable their blur-reduction mode (tantamount to a special blur-eliminating "perfect synchronized PWM" mode essentially). That said, some people don't get eyestrain from 120Hz blur-reduction while getting eye strain from PWM. Having the optional blur reduction mode may still be useful, just in case you get more eyestrain from motion blur than eyestrain from PWM dimming. Wouldn't hurt to have it in your toolbox of monitor settings that you can turn ON/OFF.

That said some monitor features increases the cost of the monitor so it can be a tough decision. It will help to know what portion of usage will be gaming, and what portion of usage will be desktop.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!