Need help finding long DisplayPort cables

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
trey31

Need help finding long DisplayPort cables

Post by trey31 » 07 Mar 2014, 13:14

I've got a project brewing that is going to require a long (25' bare minimum, 35' would be better) DisplayPort 1.2 cable. I need DP 1.2 connectors on both ends. Please no suggestions to use DisplayPort to DVI-D nor HDMI adapters or cable converters.

Basically I am looking for anyone who has used a long DP 1.2 cable to give any advice on what kind to buy or where to get them. So far I have found a few but they do not list what spec they are (also the prices vary by quite a lot but just like HDMI that is not something to base a buying decision on). Monoprice only lists a 3' and 6' cable. That's about 20' less than I require. :(

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Need help finding long DisplayPort cables

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2014, 15:24

trey31 wrote:I've got a project brewing that is going to require a long (25' bare minimum, 35' would be better) DisplayPort 1.2 cable. I need DP 1.2 connectors on both ends. Please no suggestions to use DisplayPort to DVI-D nor HDMI adapters or cable converters.

Basically I am looking for anyone who has used a long DP 1.2 cable to give any advice on what kind to buy or where to get them. So far I have found a few but they do not list what spec they are (also the prices vary by quite a lot but just like HDMI that is not something to base a buying decision on). Monoprice only lists a 3' and 6' cable. That's about 20' less than I require. :(

Any help/advice is appreciated.
You may not be able to accomplish what you need, unless you get fiber optic repeatered DIsplayPort cables. That can get you DisplayPort 100 feet away for a few hundred dollars to the low thousand dollar. Are you able to raise your budget?

25 feet often pushes beyond DisplayPort limits in many situations.
But if you want to test pushing the limits, you can buy 25 foot and 35 foot DisplayPort cables at places like StarTech:
http://www.computervalley.ca/displport2 ... MgodJlcAaw
http://ca.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Vid ... SPLPORT35L
These cables don't specify they are DP version 1.2. The number of pins, however, are identical, so it might miraculously pass a 1.2 signal, but no guarantee. Even the 25 footer may not have the specifications necessary to push a flawless 1080p 120Hz signal the full 25 feet, but they are discounted from $62 down to $13 at the moment, and could be worth trying first, since it could save you a lot of money on the necessary fiber-optic DisplayPort repeater necessary to guarantee 120Hz operation far away from your computer.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

trey31

Post by trey31 » 09 Mar 2014, 00:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote: http://www.computervalley.ca/displport2 ... MgodJlcAaw
http://ca.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Vid ... SPLPORT35L
These cables don't specify they are DP version 1.2. The number of pins, however, are identical, so it might miraculously pass a 1.2 signal, but no guarantee. Even the 25 footer may not have the specifications necessary to push a flawless 1080p 120Hz signal the full 25 feet, but they are discounted from $62 down to $13 at the moment, and could be worth trying first, since it could save you a lot of money on the necessary fiber-optic DisplayPort repeater necessary to guarantee 120Hz operation far away from your computer.
According to DisplayPort's website, all DisplayPort cables support DP 1.1 & 1.2, including miniDP cables. Speculation is that DP 1.3 will likely be the same, similar to how HDMI 2.0 kept the "highspeed cable" specification the same as 1.4a/b. The lone exception to the DP 1.1/1.2 support are (according to DP's site) a few obscure cables that are supposed to be distinctly labeled RBR (Reduced Bit Rate).
displayport.org wrote:Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

While retailers may try to sell you a more expensive cable touting it will provide a better picture quality, we are here to debunk that myth. Contrary to what you may think, the more expensive cable will not give you a better picture quality. DisplayPort uses packetized data, similar to USB and Ethernet, to send digital display and audio data, therefore you either get all of the data or you don’t.
I checked out the USA and CA versions of Computer Valley, and the USA site is showing $13 as the amount of the discount, and CA is showing $12 as the discount. In the shopping cart it says $54.99... For $12 or $13 I would have bought them out of the 5 it said were in stock without batting an eye. Too bad, that would've made my day.

I found a DP "1.1" here: http://www.amazon.com/QVS-DisplayPort-L ... port+cable that doesn't mention being RBR at all. I know a lot of cable manufacturers mislabel their stuff on purpose with HDMI all the time. That and a lot are just re-branded cables that some of the so-called "manufacturers" don't even make themselves and possibly do not even know the actual specs are. But at $23 I figure I can give it to a "frenemy" if it doesn't work out well for my intentions, or just toss it :roll: (I'm sure I can't be the only one that tosses any and all cables, regardless of quality, into a giant storage tote even if I already have dozens of VGA cables that I know deep down will never get used again... but what if I NEEEED them some day?! All 17 of them? Really? Note to self: toss out at least 5 of those VGA cables, because 12 in use at once is probably more than I'll ever need... I don't know, maybe I should keep 14 or 15...)

And anyway if that cable doesn't work for me, I figure I'll give this a try: http://www.networktechinc.com/displaypo ... er-lc.html its a sending/receiving adapter set that can use dual Cat6a cables up to 50' or Cat7 cables up to 25'. And then of course 2 short DP cables on each end to the devices, as well as the Cat6a cable (which I imagine can't cost too much more than standard cat6 cable, but I could be wrong). But at $200+ for that setup, I prefer to try a 25' DP cable first. But either way a couple hundred dollars won't derail the project. Would rather give it to steam/valve though to be honest. :lol:

Vega

Post by Vega » 09 Mar 2014, 13:01

DP 1.2 cable length limit is proportional to the bandwidth required for it to transmit. We would need to know the resolution and refresh rate of the display.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 09 Mar 2014, 15:56

Vega wrote:DP 1.2 cable length limit is proportional to the bandwidth required for it to transmit. We would need to know the resolution and refresh rate of the display.
1920x1080 at 120hz is the target. I have no problem going with something like the DP over Cat6a cable solution either, it's only a couple hundred more, I just don't know much about video extenders over Cat5/6/7 cable, be it HDMI/DVI-D/DP/HDBaseT or anything else like that.