Acer Predator Z321QU

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
agstrato

Acer Predator Z321QU

Post by agstrato » 07 Jun 2018, 16:10

Hello guys i am new to this forum i have used it to make an opinion about most monitors that exist today. I am currently using a "34 inch widescreen lg with 60hz refresh rate and i mostly just play csgo so it`s kinda bad for it. I have been googling alot lately and i found this Acer Predator Z321QU that suits my needs. I mean i cannot jump from 34 to a 24 screen because i will probably die when i see how small it is, anyway the problem i have is that there is almost no information about it, i am mostly interested in the input lag and how it runs cs go. I am the kinda guy that plays games in lower resolution just to get a smoother gameplay. My current pc config is i7-4790K with samsung ssd and 32 rams and gtx 980 gigabyte g1 gaming so the computer is very much able to get more than a few hundreds fps. The thing is that from what i read most people say that if you play fps you should stay away from VA screens and i don`t know what to say as this monitor is very new it may be improved. Then there is the other option i have of Acer Predator XB272 240hz. Problem with xb272 is that it`s only fullhd and for desktop experience like a youtube or something it will be awful, i have another monitor on the side of this one a 27 acer ips with 2560x1440 and this lg is 3440x1440. Basically what i`m trying to find out is the comparison between input lag of these 2 Acer Predators so i can make my choice. So what do you guys suggest? Btw i play cs in 1280x720 :-) on the widescreen so i`ll probably use that resolution on the new one for sure. My budget is 1000 euros for new screen which both fit.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer Predator Z321QU

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2018, 17:45

agstrato wrote:Hello guys i am new to this forum i have used it to make an opinion about most monitors that exist today. I am currently using a "34 inch widescreen lg with 60hz refresh rate and i mostly just play csgo so it`s kinda bad for it. I have been googling alot lately and i found this Acer Predator Z321QU that suits my needs. I mean i cannot jump from 34 to a 24 screen because i will probably die when i see how small it is, anyway the problem i have is that there is almost no information about it, i am mostly interested in the input lag and how it runs cs go. I am the kinda guy that plays games in lower resolution just to get a smoother gameplay. My current pc config is i7-4790K with samsung ssd and 32 rams and gtx 980 gigabyte g1 gaming so the computer is very much able to get more than a few hundreds fps. The thing is that from what i read most people say that if you play fps you should stay away from VA screens and i don`t know what to say as this monitor is very new it may be improved. Then there is the other option i have of Acer Predator XB272 240hz. Problem with xb272 is that it`s only fullhd and for desktop experience like a youtube or something it will be awful, i have another monitor on the side of this one a 27 acer ips with 2560x1440 and this lg is 3440x1440. Basically what i`m trying to find out is the comparison between input lag of these 2 Acer Predators so i can make my choice. So what do you guys suggest? Btw i play cs in 1280x720 :-) on the widescreen so i`ll probably use that resolution on the new one for sure. My budget is 1000 euros for new screen which both fit.
VA screens tend to have more input lag than TN screens so that's why competitive players usually recommend TN. You can get away with a good VA screen if you really wanted to -- a high-Hz VA screen may actually give you better than a 60Hz TN screen.

That said, all things equal, absolute lag is lower on a TN screen, and TN screens tend to max-out at 27 inches...

It's possible that the 31.5" Acer Z321QU will even have less absolute input lag than your 34" widescreen LG, as the 34" probably is also VA too (or IPS).

Currently, I've not currently seen a VA panel with subframe latency at this time, while TN and IPS panels exist that has subframe latency (realtime scanout in sync with the signal). LCD input lag of less than one refresh cycle is something I've only seen with TN and IPS panels at this time.

Getting two screens can also be an option, one for desktop, and one for gaming -- but ideally, make sure you temporarily disable the secondary monitor while playing CS:GO as divergent refresh rates can cause problems with framepacing on the primary display.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

agstrato

Post by agstrato » 08 Jun 2018, 09:08

OK so basically TN is better for csgo. I still would like to know if there is someone that owns this Z321QU and can say anything about input lag because coming from IPS to switch to TN i think i would not like it so much. I think in the end i`ll buy this xb272 because i still can`t find any info on the z321qu... it`s pretty weird as it is a nice monitor with very good specs i can`t believe there is noone out there that can make a small review. I have just seen your article about the new msi 240hz monitor "viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4201". It`s pretty neat, do you know if there will also be a "27 inch version of it? Because that is certainly worth the wait, would be awesome.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jun 2018, 12:18

agstrato wrote:OK so basically TN is better for csgo. I still would like to know if there is someone that owns this Z321QU and can say anything about input lag because coming from IPS to switch to TN i think i would not like it so much.
You can get one of the 165Hz IPS displays (144Hz native, 165Hz overclocked) and CS:GO will be fine. I use one of them myself, an XG2703-GS, and have played CS:GO a lot on it. These are low-latency IPS displays and don't have much in common with your current IPS display other than they're IPS. (Or rather "IPS-type". They're not manufactured by LG, who own the "IPS" trademark, they are made by AU Optronics.)

Edit: HOWEVER, these are 27" 1440p displays, NOT 1080p. With a GTX 980 non-Ti, you might want to stick to 1080p, unless you upgrade to at least a 980 Ti or 1070 (and with rumors of new NVidia GPUs coming late summer, it's probably not a good time to upgrade.) Just as a reminder, 1440p is a 78% higher resolution compared to 1080p. So almost double the resolution, so you need a better GPU. Not for CS:GO, but other games that use the GPU more than CS:GO does.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

agstrato

Post by agstrato » 09 Jun 2018, 05:19

First of all thank you guys for the answers. Yes RealNC i know about those i also looked at PG279Q from Asus but the comments about the lottery that people give me doesn`t seem exactly what i am looking for. And about the resolution i usually play in 1280x720 with almost all on minimal, i do prefer higher framerate than quality. I used to play cs 1.6 till a few months ago and even though the pc is monster for that old game i still used that resolution because i`m not sure if you guys believe me but i kill more with lower res than hi, i don`t know if that`s just me or somebody else. I`m just trying to find out if there is someone out there that owns that Z321QU screen because i really like it and the way i see it 240hz tech is not really mature yet to pick up that XB272. I also seen those new MSI but they are 25inch which is a little too short for me, i guess from 27 up is ok. Maybe msi release some 27 g-sync version of those new very fast monitors. Would be nice, i don`t even care about the price, if it`s fast and it works without issued all should be well worth it. Thanks again guys, maybe someone with z321qu comes along or anyone makes a review of it hehe would be great.

KKNDT

Post by KKNDT » 09 Jun 2018, 06:00

agstrato wrote:I also seen those new MSI but they are 25inch which is a little too short for me, i guess from 27 up is ok. Maybe msi release some 27 g-sync version of those new very fast monitors. Would be nice, i don`t even care about the price, if it`s fast and it works without issued all should be well worth it.
Good news for you, from tftcentral:

AU Optronics plan to develop these 240Hz refresh rate TN Film panels further in 2018, with plans to develop a 25" curved version with 1920 x 1080 resolution in Q3 2018. They are also planning to push the resolution of the 27" panel up to 2560 x 1440 with production expected in July 2018. While they develop these new panels they will also push the HDR capabilities somewhat with some edge-lit local dimming, boosted peak brightness (600 cd/m2) and extended colour space.

The new 27" 2560 x 1440 @ 240Hz panel will also offer a 3ms response time (ISO figure without overdrive, down from the typical 5ms limit for TN Film), 400 cd/m2 brightness and even an extended gamut offering 90% DCI-P3 coverage. That 3ms response time spec is AUO pushing the overall responsiveness of the panel, and they rate that as being able to offer <1ms G2G response times with overdrive used, and in fact their target is achieving 0.5ms.

agstrato

Post by agstrato » 09 Jun 2018, 18:35

Ok so next month those new panels are supposed to go out, nice i think i can wait 1 more month for it. BTW digging around i have found this article on a polish website where they say Z321QU has 14.1 ms input lag i don`t know if that`s alot or fine for csgo. Here is the link https://www.purepc.pl/monitory/monitor_ ... a?page=0,6 . I did translate the page but i am not an expert and can`t really tell if test is good or not, anyone ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Jun 2018, 09:45

Unfortunately that depends on how they measured input lag. Different methods of testing produce wildly different results. 14ms latency might be a very good result in one method, but a really bad result in another.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

agstrato

Post by agstrato » 21 Jun 2018, 00:12

Hey guys i am back with some news. I ended up buying the Predator XB272 and i hace already set it up. First impressions are that mouse feels awesome an cs moves smooooth. One thing i dont like is the desktop resolution fhd kinda sux but i may get used to it. The only problem i have is that i cannot make the FPS display from osd to show up. When i set it to on i just get like a black transparent small cube in the upper right corner that doesnt say any number. I dont know is there something i am doing wrong or...? I would also like some calibration settings if some of you have this monitor, i mostly play csgo. I must say the jump from 60hz to 240hz is amazing at first i felt abit dizzy then i figured out that i should put overdrive to normal and now its better. Im not a monitor expert just need some nice settings and i do want that hz fps counter to display correctly. I appreciate if someone can help me with it.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Jun 2018, 04:20

Small square doesn’t sound right. It do s only work with G-SYNC and will only tell you the hz of the monitor.

There isn’t any best settings, use it whatever but standard with no adjustments is fine