Overwatch and XL2720z HELP please!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Overwatch and XL2720z HELP please!

Post by RealNC » 10 Jul 2018, 23:59

Salaverry wrote:is it advisable to have the triple buffer on?
No. It adds 1 frame of input lag. Triple buffer vsync is only useful in cases when the game's FPS falls below the refresh rate which can result in FPS halving and heavy stutter. Triple buffer vsync avoids that FPS halving and extreme stutter, but at the cost of a constant 1 frame of additional input lag.
What are your thoughts on fast sync? I read somewhere else that with the double fps of your refresh rate would be pretty good too, but i want to hear your thoughts since you have so much knowledge.
It has lower input lag than vsync. It also has micro-stutter, but if you're fine with that, then it's a good solution to get rid of tearing. With fast sync, the higher your FPS, the less microstutter there is. In fact, fast sync at 500FPS or higher is virtually as good as g-sync, but as you can imagine, 500FPS is very difficult to reach in modern games.

There's a video with fast sync tests here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07t_mY2LEU
BTW, and this may be personal opinion.. but is it advisable changing my monitor to a 240hz one to avoid any troubles?
Actually, fast sync works better with low refresh rate monitors. For example, 60Hz monitors will work better with fast sync because you get better smoothness at FPS = 3 * Hz. So it's pretty smooth at 180FPS already on a 60Hz monitor, and at 240FPS it's very smooth. With a 144Hz monitor, you'd need 432FPS to get smooth motion. With a 240Hz monitor, you'd need 720FPS...

If you're going to get a new monitor and you want smoothness, g-sync is the way to go. In fact, in order for fast sync to be as good as g-sync, you need 500FPS or more, while with g-sync you get the same smoothness and with low input lag at 140FPS already.

I generally don't recommend 240Hz monitors right now, because they appear to be too problematic for my taste. They seem to sacrifice image quality in exchange for 240Hz, which I'm not a fan of. They're also quite expensive for what they are; they only cost so much because they're very niche products, not because they're that good (they're just TN panels.) But if that doesn't matter to you, then a 240Hz g-sync monitor would allow you to run a 237FPS cap with g-sync active.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 12 Jul 2018, 16:52

RealNC wrote:
ahmedpc03 wrote:where ca i find the RTSS config file pls ?
In the latest beta, you don't need to. You configure fractional FPS limits in the UI.
if i cap the fps from the UI the LimitDenominator value 100 in the profile, do i have to change it to 1000 in the profile or its not necessary ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Jul 2018, 18:15

ahmedpc03 wrote:
RealNC wrote:
In the latest beta, you don't need to. You configure fractional FPS limits in the UI.
if i cap the fps from the UI the LimitDenominator value 100 in the profile, do i have to change it to 1000 in the profile or its not necessary ?
Delete the entry from the profile, or set it to 1. Changing the denominator is NOT needed anymore.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 12 Jul 2018, 19:26

RealNC wrote:
ahmedpc03 wrote:
RealNC wrote:
Delete the entry from the profile, or set it to 1. Changing the denominator is NOT needed anymore.
thanks

IronPlasma

Post by IronPlasma » 19 Jul 2018, 17:29

As Straifer mentioned, I've also had good results in OW with Sync set to Fast Sync in Nvidia Control Panel with the XL2720Z at 144hz (mine via DisplayPort) and Vsync off in game with maxed out in game frame rate cap. Looks/feels pretty smooth while much more responsive than Vsync. Super easy to test out too since no special tools or configs required. Give it a go and see what you think.