U2415 or U2417H?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ithehappy

U2415 or U2417H?

Post by ithehappy » 14 Jul 2018, 12:33

I was a Dell U2412M for over four years and never really had any problem with it, but last month I broke it accidentally. Then I thought about trying 144 Hz as myself have been 60 Hz user all along, so bought a Samsung CFG70, as that was the only monitor in my budget with 144 Hz panel and it was VA too. But good god, that was the worst monitor I have ever used, starting from horrible blurred texts, to poor colours and also absolutely horrendous input lag! So returned it. Then looked at the XL2411P and stuffs, but don't really want to test another one, I mean TN will have shit colours no matter what.

So now I just wanna buy what I already know, U2415 is within my budget. But the U2417H is about 50-60 USD more where I live. Basically which one should I go for, is one the better overclocker than the other? Up to 75 Hz will be enough for me. I'm just scared that the 2417 has Samsung PLS panel, from what I've seen the name Samsung scares the heck outta me. Do advise.

Thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: U2415 or U2417H?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2018, 01:43

Some Samsungs are pretty good, but VA-type panel tech has its own issues. The early CFG70 model had a purple ghosting issue, which have been fixed in newer Samsungs (the CHG70, with 'H' is much better).

The U2417H is more of an IPS-type panel so it won't behave the same way as the VA-panel. It'll be much more similar to the U2412M.

That said, I'd recommend saving up a bit for higher Hz of the same panel type. Well worth saving up for.

The three main panel types are generally:
VA
IPS (PLS)
TN

Sometimes you've got "SVA" or "PLS" (IPS) and other type panels but they are just variants of one of the above. If you stick to the same panel type, you will usually have latency/image/ghosting familiarity.

You've been using IPS, so switching to IPS/PLS will give you image quality familiarity.
Brand name High-Hz IPS is generally fairly expensive, however -- so I understand if you're not ready to make the leap.
Check out the monitor lists to see if you can find some similar prices elsewhere.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ithehappy

Re: U2415 or U2417H?

Post by ithehappy » 29 Jul 2018, 16:55

Thanks a lot for replying sir. I have bought the U2415 a week ago and while I am really enjoying the fantastic colour output and overall image quality of the panel but the 60 Hz feels really annoying. It's either to keep it or go for a TN panel 144 Hz like XG2402 or something, which is also about a 80-90 USD more where I live. Either a quality panel for me or a higher refresh rated TN panel, as simple as that, perks of having very limited budget. But I thank you for your advisement on saving up for a IPS 144 Hz panel, that IMHO is the wiser advice, but you see, I am a damned gamer after all, though not only a gamer at the same time.

Picking a monitor is the hardest, didn't really know this, LoL.