Gameplay smoothness

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dadduu

Gameplay smoothness

Post by dadduu » 20 Jul 2018, 11:19

Is there any reason that when you record your own gameplay it appears a lot smoother when you reproduce it by using any player?

Let me explain,
I recently noticed this in overwatch, I do have a 144hz monitor, playing the game @ 144-154 FPS cap, all good, apart from the fact I'm kinda sensible to crosstalk,strutters, and to all those effect, but apart from a ghosty image (which a normal player can barely recognize) I can play the game good.
Since when I started recording my own vod i quickly realized by watching them through any media player that pictures are way more clear and detailed than than when I play the game, like the crosstalk generated by display's overdrive disappears.
This thing is noticiable with both @60fps and @144fps recordings.
Why this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gameplay smoothness

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2018, 01:32

That's because the game recording records at a framerate different of the actual game's framerate.

So stutter mechanics (harmonic/beat frequency effects between framerate and refreshrate) -- are quite different for recordings than for gameplay -- and sometimes one can be better/worse than the other.

Another reason is that you're playing the videos at a refresh rate that's different from the gameplay -- which may mean the screen is using different overdrive settings (e.g. different overdrive setting in Windows versus different overdrive setting in game).

Can you verify your OSD to see if both Windows and the game are using exactly the same modes (VRR on/off, strobe on/off, exact same Hz, exact same resolution?)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!