Discuss the upcoming generation (August+) 2018 monitors

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BlurZapper

Re: Discuss the upcoming generation (August+) 2018 monitors

Post by BlurZapper » 24 Jul 2018, 18:59

That's what I'm hoping for also. That ULMB can be used at 240hz. I would also assume lower G2G's would help higher resolutions cope with higher framerates too, such as introducing 240hz to 1440p.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2018, 14:16

RealNC wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:How you guys think will that 1ms -> 0.5ms change be good noticeable like 144hz -> 240hz jump?
There will be no change for normal operation. For strobed operation though (motion blur reduction modes) this should really minimize crosstalk, or even eliminate it completely. I hope.
Yes, true 0.5ms GtG makes a quite noticeable improvement to non-strobed 480 Hz and strobed 240Hz.

Improvements to non-strobed 240Hz will be fairly marginal for most, but not undetectable for the discerning.

It is indeed true that faster native GtGs produce better overdrive algorithms (fewer coronas and ghost-trail artifacts), especially improved variable-rate-overdrive (overdrive tuning that continually vary depending on game's framerate -- that's why GSYNC often looked better than early, older FreeSync monitors before FreeSync 2).

Good faster native GtG will reduce the overdrive-aritfacts-differential between 30fps-vs-60fps-vs-120fps-vs-240fps, requiring less/easier custom overdrive tuning that needs to dynamically vary based on frame rate.

Some people are very sensitive to blur asymmetries (ghosting/coronas and imbalances between left-edge/right-edge blur trailing during horizontal panning motion). Much like some are sensitive to color, or brightness, or flicker, or inversion artifacts, or input lag issues. Everybody is different in their sensitivities to monitor artifacts.
BlurZapper wrote:That's what I'm hoping for also. That ULMB can be used at 240hz. I would also assume lower G2G's would help higher resolutions cope with higher framerates too, such as introducing 240hz to 1440p.
0.5ms GtG will help upcoming 1080p 480 Hz monitors (ETA ~2020) and/or strobed 240Hz (now available in non-ULMB variants).

Monitor manufacturers need to read Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays. I already know full-HD 480Hz is in development to arrive within three years or so, so disbelieving manufacturers need to read-and-weep and get on the bandwagon. Winky-wink.

(Readers: Don't wait. It's still a long R&D. Buy a monitor today. Clickies below to support Blur Busters.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 30 Jul 2018, 03:30

ahmedpc03 wrote:iam interesting to see the new technology of the panels (micro led) that well replace the oled.
and it well be available on the market by the end of this year and well be more available in 2019

hope to see a gaming monitor using micro led soon

oled is 0.01 ms response time which is almost 0, and hope the micro led well be the same thing
Micro-LED is likely years away from consumer use.

Display maker AUO has a working 8 inch prototype but;
At the company's recent earning report, AUO disclosed that it does plan to use micro-LEDs in niche products in the future - but following years of R&D, micro-LEDs are still too expensive and are not ready for mass production yet.
https://www.microled-info.com/auo-has-b ... uction-yet

The Samsung MLED "The Wall" was hand made, there is no factory or tooling to mass produce this technology, even if Samsung puts out a MLED TV in 2019 or 2020 I would expect availability to be extremely limited.