Need help setting up custom resolutions on a CRT

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
A Solid lad

Need help setting up custom resolutions on a CRT

Post by A Solid lad » 28 Jul 2018, 10:31

Hy!
So I busted out my old IBM p275 (specs here) and now I need help dialing in some nice costom resolutions for both gaming and desktop use...
and I figured this would be the best pace to ask.

First off, is there such thing as an ideal timing for crts, or should I just try and squeeze out the maximum amount of HZ I can?
For example there's GTF, DMT, CVT and CVT reduced blank in NVCP, could someone tell me what are the pros and cons of using either?

Thanks in advance!
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Need help setting up custom resolutions on a CRT

Post by RealNC » 28 Jul 2018, 14:55

Use CRU for this, not the NCVP, and select "CRT standard" timings. Then just dial-in your resolution and Hz. Make sure the horizontal frequency (kHz) and your Hz do not go above the monitor's specs. Both of them need to not exceed the maximums stated in the specs. If your CRT doesn't have protections against it, and you try to OC it, you might actually damage it. So stay within specs.

Reduced timings or LCD timings will not work correctly on CRTs.

If you run out of slots in the "detailed timings" section, you can add an extension block which will give you additional slots. I think you can add up to two extension blocks, so you should have plenty of space for all your modes. You don't need to add the default modes manually. Just check the checkboxes to the left. You only need to add custom modes for resolutions/Hz combinations not available in the checkboxes.

Also, after you're done, export your custom settings to a file, so you can restore from that after driver updates.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

A Solid lad

Re: Need help setting up custom resolutions on a CRT

Post by A Solid lad » 28 Jul 2018, 15:49

Thanks for the tips!
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.