WOW 8.0 abandons FULL SCREEN mode

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
KKNDT

WOW 8.0 abandons FULL SCREEN mode

Post by KKNDT » 29 Jul 2018, 06:15

WOW 8.0 now only supports WINDOS mode and BORDLESS WINDOWS mode. Does this mean we are forced to use non-blocking triple buffering?

How would you config your game if you do not have a GSYNC monitor?

Assuming you can run the game at ~80FPS.

This is my personal choice:
- Use VSYNC OFF
- For a 60HZ monitor, use RTSS to cap the frame rate to ~60.
- For a 144HZ monitor, use RTSS to cap the frame rate to ~72.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: WOW 8.0 abandons FULL SCREEN mode

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jul 2018, 08:58

KKNDT wrote:WOW 8.0 now only supports WINDOS mode and BORDLESS WINDOWS mode. Does this mean we are forced to use non-blocking triple buffering?

How would you config your game if you do not have a GSYNC monitor?

Assuming you can run the game at ~80FPS.

This is my personal choice:
- Use VSYNC OFF
- For a 60HZ monitor, use RTSS to cap the frame rate to ~60.
- For a 144HZ monitor, use RTSS to cap the frame rate to ~72.
Not necessarily, if VSYNC OFF tearing is available in borderless windows mode.

As long as the lag is the same as exclusive full screen mode, then windowed fullscreen might as well be exclusive fullscreen simply by virtue of not allowing other apps/windows to show up.

Newer graphics cards are capable of eliminating the difference between exclusive fullscreen and windowed fullscreen. It's all in proper driver programming & OS programming. (The issue: Can we trust this to keep the lag identical?)

We have to pay attention to benchmarks and bugs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KKNDT

Post by KKNDT » 31 Jul 2018, 09:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Not necessarily, if VSYNC OFF tearing is available in borderless windows mode.
However, I can't find tear lines even with VSYNC disabled...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Jul 2018, 15:33

Not much you can do here. I'd just use vsync here and cap to -0.01Hz as usual. Or play something else that's made by people who aren't morons :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jul 2018, 18:45

Enabling tearlines in borderless windowed mode is possible. It's just hard and requires the right version of Windows, mode (Game Mode), right drivers, right game settings, etc. Even Jorim wasn't able to enable this.

This stuff has got to be made easier -- and equallized in lag & supression of popups -- before we can live with the elimination of exclusive fullscreen mode.

Basically, universal & easy & equal in lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!