30 fps double image problem

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
onnorgs

30 fps double image problem

Post by onnorgs » 23 Aug 2018, 11:34

Hı,

There are many topics about double image because of 30 frame rates per seconds. Cheif said that: "Double-image effect always occur during half framerate situations on flicker/strobed displays (e.g. CRT 30fps@60Hz, plasma 30fps@60Hz, LightBoost 60fps@120Hz, etc). It is unavoidable."

There is one thing that i couldn't understand. 30 fps double image occur during always in conditions that described above?

I am using ps4 pro with samsung 55mu8000 at game mode. in 30 fps games (ac syndicate, the crew/first one etc.) when panning i can see double image. This problem happens only flicker/strobed displays? using game mode, there are no strobe or flicker. is it normal that seeing double image?

I am sure that, when i use motion interpolation, it will reduce. But i wanna know that in game mode (no motion process) why i am seeing that double image.

note: 60 fps games or 30 fps with lots of motion blurred games, of course i didn't notice any double image.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: 30 fps double image problem

Post by RealNC » 23 Aug 2018, 13:19

What you're seeing is 30FPS motion flicker. 30FPS is too low, and you see motion as a weird flicker where moving objects seem to jump back and forth.

This is a different effect than double image. It's just as annoying, of course. Games need to either run at 60FPS (where this problem is reduced by half,) or use motion blur to hide the problem.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

onnorgs

Post by onnorgs » 24 Aug 2018, 04:45

Thank you for answer. So,30 fps double image or image flicker happens at 60hz/30fps conditions. Not only Strobed or flicker displays? Or many displays are flickering like my mu8000.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Aug 2018, 10:16

onnorgs wrote:Thank you for answer. So,30 fps double image or image flicker happens at 60hz/30fps conditions.
Well, it also happens at 30Hz/30FPS. It's just how 30FPS looks like. Unless you're seeing something else here. It might help to take a video and post it. You can use https://www.testufo.com to get a 30FPS vs 60FPS comparison.
Not only Strobed or flicker displays? Or many displays are flickering like my mu8000.
It's not the display that's flickering. It's just how 30FPS animation looks like to our eyes on a non-strobed, sample and hold display.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.