Motion blur fortnite asus rog swift pg258q

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
notthatjesus

Re: Motion blur fortnite asus rog swift pg258q

Post by notthatjesus » 17 Sep 2018, 16:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote: TL;DR: You said your motion blur suddenly appears/disappears mysteriously. The "sudden appearance" of motion blur is sometimes simply a framerate-halving or framerate-quartering problem caused by a multimonitor setup. This is not always the cause, but unfortunately common. There are other causes (which we'll still have to sleuth) if this is not the issue.
Don't forget the simplest explanation: eye tracking motion blur. At least that's what I've convinced myself as of late (I'm "experiencing" a similar issue as OP with my PG278QR.) Another way I'd describe it would be, when viewing the testufo, it would appear with the clarity of 2MS persistence and then suddenly transition clarity to that of 4MS persistence, only to revert back just as quickly as it started occuring — think of when old antenna TVs used to briefly display images of crossed signals.

Would that even be possible, dynamic persistence values? Based on the name, I'm leaning towards no

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2018, 22:39

Variances in eye tracking speed definitely changes amount of motion blur, but the persistence math is consistent. More pixels per second eye tracking speed simply means more motion blur, and the persistence formula is the same. Track slower on a slow moving object, then track faster on a separate faster moving object. You can have multiple objects moving at different speeds on the same screen.

There would be blur differences, but the persistence (in milliseconds) is unchanged as the display motion blur formula remains the same (1ms of frame visibility time equals 1 pixel motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec). You track faster, your eyes are tracking over more pixels in the same time oeriod, and that is more motion blur.

Great animations that demo this, include http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking and http://www.testufo.com/persistence
UFO #1 has no motion blur but UFO #2 has motion blur, so changing your eyetracking speed will create sudden changes to motion blur. So yes, eyetracking speed creates changes to the amount of perceived display motion blur (faster tracking = more blur).

Displays can indeed create additional motion blur above-and-beyond real life because of the stepped effect of discrete refresh cycles (aka "sample-and-hold" effect -- ala "persistence"/"MPRT"). But it should not create the described strange effect described by OP.

That said, OP issue does not seem to be this. Fortnite is very consistent in its chaotic variety of motions, and the OP is describing a pattern that does not currently seem explainable by mere simple changes in eyetracking habit. (Albiet to be confirmed)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2018, 12:07

welcomess wrote:So basically i get this very annoying issue in fortnite where if i move my mouse fast the game just seems to look altogether blurry and very annoying when im trying to fight or build quickly. Weirdly enough after every update my game feels super smooth and really nice but then after that 1 or 2 games or if i restart my game it goes back to the motion blur issue. I have my OD setting on maximum if i lower it to "normal" od or off the issue just gets blurry and more blurry. Any help would be appreciated.

Nvidia control panel settings - http://prntscr.com/kq8na0 http://prntscr.com/kq8nd5

Thank you so much..
welcomess, is your problem fixed?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 21 Sep 2018, 15:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
welcomess wrote:So basically i get this very annoying issue in fortnite where if i move my mouse fast the game just seems to look altogether blurry and very annoying when im trying to fight or build quickly. Weirdly enough after every update my game feels super smooth and really nice but then after that 1 or 2 games or if i restart my game it goes back to the motion blur issue. I have my OD setting on maximum if i lower it to "normal" od or off the issue just gets blurry and more blurry. Any help would be appreciated.

Nvidia control panel settings - http://prntscr.com/kq8na0 http://prntscr.com/kq8nd5

Thank you so much..
welcomess, is your problem fixed?
No it is not what do you mean by disable AA and i am running 3 monitors all @ 240hz but still get the issue with just my main monitor connected.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2018, 20:06

Disable AA == disable anti aliasing. This feature can cause some wild fluctuations in frame rate in some games.

What about this:
Sleuth Attempt #2 -- If you are running only 1 monitor, then something else is causing a potential problem. Can you turn on the framerate display in Fortnite and watch it? Find out if the framerate is halving/quartering when the motion blur suddenly appears. Enable the "Show FPS" setting in "Video" tab of Fortnite. Report back on the changes in framerate you see when you see motion blur suddenly appear.
What is happening to your frame rate when motion blur suddenly appears?
Sometimes motion blur sudden-appearance is sudden-framerate-change related.

At least, we can rule this out, if framerate is unchanged -- that's why we need to check framerate diagnostics here to try to figure out why sudden motion blur changes are occuring.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » 23 May 2019, 15:27

I'm also having the same issue, not sure if its motion blur but I just feel like I can not see things very clearly when moving around even a little quick. Is this monitor just not that good? I don't really see any other pros using it in Fortnite or CSGO, not sure about other games.

open

Post by open » 24 May 2019, 18:57

It was used for season 1 of overwatch league. It has very good response times as measured by tftcentral. Some people here who have tried multiple 240hz have identified ones they prefer for pure competitive edge. And there are even some that do strobing at 240hz offering even less motion blur. But all in all it's a good monitor and should not be considered the problem in relation to the problems described here. Unfortunately even todays fastest monitors still have motion blur and that is why chief and others advocate for the acknowledgement of persistence as a major factor in eye movment tracking on monitors.

I advise you to ensure that your fps is stable and that your monitor is not dropping frames. To test for frame drops you can use a tool on the blurbusters page combined with a camera.