Acer XB252Q, can see pixel transitions

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
zn1p

Acer XB252Q, can see pixel transitions

Post by zn1p » 08 Sep 2018, 15:47

So I have this Acer Predator XB252Q, which is really nice, but in some cases I notice something strange. Not sure if it's an artifact of not. If I look at something bright (sky, candles, lamps) and don't move, everything's fine. But when I move my mouse, pixels start to look more defined, I am starting to see borders between them, like I have a net strapped on the display. Like a screendoor effect start to pop out only in moving scenes. Higher the brightess, easier it is to notice it. In some games it's barely visible, but in others I can't help but notice it in some scenes. Is it some kind of a defect or is it ok with this kind of a panel? It's hard to capture it on a video.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Acer XB252Q, can see pixel transitions

Post by RealNC » 08 Sep 2018, 16:04

Does it go away when you lower or disable overdrive?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

zn1p

Post by zn1p » 08 Sep 2018, 16:21

Sadly, no. ULMB, OD, GSYNC, FPS, resolution have no effect on this. Although, extreme OD seems to cover up this effect a bit because of coronas, still present, though.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Sep 2018, 16:47

I had this issue with a crappy AOC monitor in the past. Basically thin lines get bold as they move on the screen. Turning OD completely off was the only way to get rid of it. Since that doesn't work in your case, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. I don't know if this is a defect or normal for this monitor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Sep 2018, 20:05

zn1p wrote:So I have this Acer Predator XB252Q, which is really nice, but in some cases I notice something strange. Not sure if it's an artifact of not. If I look at something bright (sky, candles, lamps) and don't move, everything's fine. But when I move my mouse, pixels start to look more defined, I am starting to see borders between them, like I have a net strapped on the display. Like a screendoor effect start to pop out only in moving scenes. Higher the brightess, easier it is to notice it. In some games it's barely visible, but in others I can't help but notice it in some scenes. Is it some kind of a defect or is it ok with this kind of a panel? It's hard to capture it on a video.
Is this the common inversion artifact?

OD shouldn't affect inversion, although OD may cause some distracting visual effects that make it less likely to notice inversion artifacts (which is usually, albiet not always, otherwise unaffected by overdrive).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Davestune

Post by Davestune » 10 Sep 2018, 17:25

turn off dx12, was doing this to me in wow