Which 240Hz monitor is the best money can buy?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jarlizzm

Which 240Hz monitor is the best money can buy?

Post by jarlizzm » 16 Sep 2018, 18:14

Hello blur busters! i have one simple question for you all, which 240hz monitor is the best on the market right now? i have tried reading
some post about this subject but they all end up in a discussion about different features being better on different setups. but what i want to know is what monitor is the best out of the box monitor i can get, not considering ULMB, Lightboost, or any other tech the monitor might have?

I have a 1080 ti running at 2025Mhz and a i5-8600k clocked at 5.1Ghz all custom watercooled. but no matter how many upgrades i do and how much fps i get my XB271HU 165hz 4ms monitor just feels like its bottlenecking me when it comes to fast paced shooters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Which 240Hz monitor is the best money can buy?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2018, 11:52

Different 240Hz monitors have different pros/cons.

Are you more concerned about the best in input lag? Colors? Brightness? Variable refresh rate?

You have a GSYNC monitor. Do you keep GSYNC turned on or off? If you turn it off and use VSYNC OFF and still feel bottlenecked, then you definitely need to switch to TN to feel less bottlenecked.

The XL2546 monitor has been a very popular low-lag choice for people in your situation if you're not interested in FreeSync or GSYNC.

That said, if you want the ability to turn ON/OFF support for GSYNC, you'll be interested in other options (e.g. ROG XG258Q, Viewsonic XG2560, etc). Click the monitor lists below to compare 240Hz monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jarlizzm

Post by jarlizzm » 19 Sep 2018, 19:44

Eyy, never thought i'd get a response from the Chief himself :o i have to say, it seems like you are running this community very well and that you really love what you are doing. which i find inspiring :)

My main concern is input lag. colors and brightness are of course a bonus, especially since im now used to the beautiful XB271HU's ips
panel.

I run this monitor with an overclock of 165Hz, GSYNC ON, VSYNC OFF but with framerate unlocked so i mosly get around 300 fps ingame, and i have read that GSYNC only triggers when my fps dippes below 165 fps and this only happens when i am in tilted or in huge build fights. i have just left GSYNC on to give me some fluidity when dipping below 165. i have never considered if GSYNC still might add some input lag above 165 fps, but i dont think it does(correct me if im wrong.)
The issue i run into with this monitor is that when i turn quickly the textures in the game blend so much together into each other so that it just looks like one big sliding blobb of textures, and loose sight of my target. I guess its just due to the motion blur caused by the 4ms panel.

I will probably keep this monitor and run a dual monitor setup and switch to this when i want to play heavy games that GSYNC really benefits from and use the new 240hz monitor as a main monitor. so i dont really need to have GSYNC on the 240hz monitor.

Quick question, is the input lag simular when using GSYNC OFF to when using GSYNC ON but have more fps than 165 so that GSYNC does not trigger?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Sep 2018, 20:24

jarlizzm wrote:Quick question, is the input lag simular when using GSYNC OFF to when using GSYNC ON but have more fps than 165 so that GSYNC does not trigger?
This wasn't tested explicitly, but there's no reason to assume that g-sync would do anything at all when your FPS is higher than 165Hz when using vsync off.

We have a series of articles here with lots of g-sync input lag tests:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... -settings/

Again, there was no test to see if there's any lag added when using g-sync with vsync off above max refresh, but since g-sync doesn't add any input lag to begin with, even when using vsync on, it should be safe to say that this is also the case with vsync off.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.