[Problem] Invisible Line down middle

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Gametheory

[Problem] Invisible Line down middle

Post by Gametheory » 17 Sep 2018, 11:39

I bought recently a Viewsonic XG2560 and have had this issue time to time.

A line down the middle like the pixels along it were cut and pasted to left side of the screen.

From what I can tell, Acer GSYNC monitors as well as some Dell GSYNC Monitors have this issue.

Turning off/on the monitor solves the issue temporarily and then it comes back again after cold boot or a deep sleep.

Is the only permanent repair sending it back to the manufacturer?

https://imgur.com/DO2cRdM

Last edited by Gametheory on 17 Sep 2018, 12:38, edited 2 times in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [Problem] Invisible Line down middle

Post by RealNC » 17 Sep 2018, 12:16

Hm. That looks more like a GPU issue to me. But you never know.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Gametheory

Post by Gametheory » 17 Sep 2018, 12:35

I guess it's possible, but I'm not exactly sure if it's caused by waking from monitor's sleep/standby mode.

Reproducing the problem is tough since it doesn't always happen from a cold boot.

It's very weird. I'll try past graphic drivers and hope to see some progress.

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 19 Sep 2018, 07:57

Most likely a GSYNC or panel issue. At the TCON/panel level, the left and right side of the screen are often transmitted via different cables, which explains why artifacts can be side-specific. This looks like a pixel synchronization error (some botched clock DLL that sometimes locks onto the wrong phase, or whatever).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Sep 2018, 08:18

Great catch, StrobeMaster.
(That certainly looks like flipped bit(s) in a set of address lines in the electronics/cable).

Could be hardware defect but theoretically software too. Could be a firmware/driver bug, where it's initializing too quickly at wakeup after sleep. If the pattern is predictable; that it only happens after wakeup from sleep. Some hardware quirks like these are theoretically software fixable. But not always.

Since firmwares in monitors are unfixable by end users most of the time (except, with much kudos, Samsung gaming monitors with easy user-downloadable firmware updates), a driver upgrade could first be attempted, then try a different port on the graphics card.

I'd suggest some simple common stuff like that, then RMA if this problem still happens.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gametheory

Post by Gametheory » 20 Sep 2018, 11:58

After RealNc posted, I tried the newest driver from Nvidia and it hasn't appeared since, but that's only 3 days ago.

As previously mentioned, it's random and never appeared until after a few weeks of owning the monitor.

However, I do recall updating my driver then too, just before the problem appeared.

Yea I'm going to try avoiding Viewsonic Customer Service until I absolutely need to use it.

Thanks for the insight, I'll keep this updated

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2018, 20:09

Gametheory wrote:However, I do recall updating my driver then too, just before the problem appeared
Glad that the driver upgrade fixed this.

They've just might have simply done something differently like a slight change to wakeup reinitialization.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gametheory

Post by Gametheory » 24 Sep 2018, 14:59

Just kidding, the issue wasn't resolved. It reared its head again after waking my monitor just now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Sep 2018, 14:01

Oh no, Murphy's Law on these things!

I'll ping a contact at ViewSonic to see if there's a solution. Standby.

Gametheory

Post by Gametheory » 25 Sep 2018, 19:05

It's very much appreciated, thank you.

It's hard to gauge how big of an issue this is since this is a relatively new monitor.

In addition, Viewsonic not having a community forum on their website where issues can be publicly aggregated makes it difficult to estimate.

For reference, I believe it's a similar if not the exact same issue as this Acer Community post involving their GSYNC monitors.