gsync/vsync simulation for real life gaming on any monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
LeaveMeAlone

gsync/vsync simulation for real life gaming on any monitor?

Post by LeaveMeAlone » 24 Sep 2018, 17:00

So, it seems like it's now possible to use freesync on nvidia gpus simply by copying the output from the nvidia to the amd in which is connected the freesync monitor.
And that got me thinking.
https://www.blurbusters.com/simulated-v ... -freesync/
In that post an example of how gsync works it's shown, in a way that it can be viewed on any monitor.
Can't an application be created with the goal of outputting always, let's say, having a 60 hz monitor, 60 vsynced frames on a secondary gpu in which is connected the said monitor, with these frames mixed together creating the same effect?
Like: GPU 1 is outputting 40 frames > Application takes these 40 frames, mixes them like the example of how gsync works, making a stable 60fps > outputs it to the GPU 2 that outputs it at the said monitor.
Isn't this doable?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: gsync/vsync simulation for real life gaming on any monit

Post by RealNC » 24 Sep 2018, 17:29

The interpolation used on that page to simulate VRR is not suitable for games. Too much latency. Video players do this. Many TVs do this. But you can't comfortably play games with it, as the controls feel like a boat. This is why TVs have a "game mode" option that disables this feature.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: gsync/vsync simulation for real life gaming on any monit

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Sep 2018, 12:29

Yes, realtime interpolation tricks.

The algorithm that I use for TestUFO in both the Variable Refresh Rate Animation Demo has many disadvantages that preclude its successful use in games. The main one is Input latency.

Like classic "Sony Motionflow" on HDTVs where 60fps is converted to 120fps, but makes console games very laggy due to the overhead. Also, the demo has nasty interpolation artifacts if you freezeframe. That said, it gives you a teaser of what G-SYNC and FreeSync are capable of, the beautiful zero-stutter transitions between framerates! (as long as you're using a web browser capable of perfect 60fps animations)

What it does allow you to do is witness the benefits of FreeSync and G-SYNC on any screen, and I'm the world's first to accomplish that using a mere web-based animation.

But you really need a genuine VRR monitor to display the frame rate perfectly natively -- without the lag disadvantage of interpolation algorithms.

To be able to do this in games, you need to purchase a FreeSync monitor or a G-SYNC monitor. The beautifully stutterless seamless transitions in framerates is something that requires hardware to be usable.

NOTE: Not all web browsers display this animation properly, you still need a sufficiently fast GPU to let the interpolation work properly. (And if you're using a multimonitor system, close all windows on all secondary monitors, since Chrome can go weird when multiple Chrome windows are on different screens)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!