HDMI to DisplayPort advice?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BlackGuyRX

HDMI to DisplayPort advice?

Post by BlackGuyRX » 29 Sep 2018, 14:31

I've got an AOC G2460PG monitor and I'm itching to play console games through it. Problem is, it's 1st gen G-Sync so no HDMI input. I'm considering getting a new G-Sync monitor but I can only spend so much and and I need to decide on either getting the monitor or the console I want to play on (probably a Switch).

I figured I can opt for a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and save some money until i'm ready to replace the display wholesale. I just need to know, will there be any compromise from having the signals converted? Degradation in image quality? Input lag?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HDMI to DisplayPort advice?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Sep 2018, 14:39

Compatibility -- not guaranteed with first generation G-SYNC displays.
Lag -- can happen with adaptors. Good adaptors have subframe lag, but they're all over the place.
Degradation -- ideally, there should be none in your case.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BlackGuyRX

Re: HDMI to DisplayPort advice?

Post by BlackGuyRX » 29 Sep 2018, 22:41

Man, I kinda screwed myself buying some of my accessories...
(GTX 970, only one DP port)