LM290WW2-SSA1 panel (dell u2917w, asus mx299q, lg 29ub67-b)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
zivko

LM290WW2-SSA1 panel (dell u2917w, asus mx299q, lg 29ub67-b)

Post by zivko » 07 Oct 2018, 11:09

I own dell u2917w and initially i wanted to write a small info on the monitor here, but its also important for asus mx299q and lg 29ub67-b which are using the same 28.8" lg.display panel LM290WW2-SSA1.

You can find a review of asus mx299q here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7288/asu ... tor-review
asus response time can be found in this review: https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5190/1 ... -input-lag
As far as panel performance goes, reviews should be applicable to all 3 monitors.

Reason why im posting here is because panel can be overclocked to 75hz and that isnt information mentioned in any reviews ive seen before buying the monitor. While the panel can bet set to run @ 85hz, anything past 75 produces noticeable frame skipping, 75 and lower values have no frame skipping at all.

Dell variant has overdrive mode which can be set to normal or fast and fast results in a pronounced overshoot which can be very distracting in anything text related (scrolling trough documents or webpages), but in games it isnt an issue and id say it even helps due to players popping out of the background when they move.

At 75hz and fast overdrive setting panel seems pretty responsive, but its probably far from gamer grade screens. That being said, asus mx299q doesnt have any kind of overdrive, but in the 2nd review black-white-black transition was measured at 13.6ms (11.6 light grey-dark grey-light grey) so im assuming on dell with overdrive its below that value which is important considering below 13.33ms is needed to display 75 fps.
From my experience its fine for casual gaming (i mostly play overwatch and going from 60hz no overdrive to 75+overdrive is a very noticeable improvement)

dell comes factory calibrated (both in terms of colors and uniformity), i dont know about other two.