Can't see the difference in 144hz and 60hz, what's wrong?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Can't see the difference in 144hz and 60hz, what's wrong

Post by RealNC » 11 Oct 2018, 10:50

What is that gibberish at the top of that post?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

exigeous

Post by exigeous » 11 Oct 2018, 11:09

RealNC wrote:What is that gibberish at the top of that post?
D'OH!!! Those were some notes for a project that I had in the same scratch document where I wrote the reply, accidentally copied it in when I did my paste. Sorry about that, had to look pretty bizarre ;-)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Oct 2018, 11:14

Is this your Twitch channel?

https://www.twitch.tv/exigeous
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

exigeous

Post by exigeous » 11 Oct 2018, 12:29

Yep, that's me. I don't really stream all that much, I produce content for Elite Dangerous pretty much full time now.

http://www.youtube.com/cmdrexigeous

(hope that's okay to post)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Oct 2018, 13:02

Note that Elite does not benefit that much from high refresh / high FPS (on a monitor; on VR, it obviously does.)

However, one other benefit of high refresh rates is input lag. In Doom 4 (which you said you played), you should be getting much more responsive mouse look at 144Hz compared to 60Hz, at least when playing with vsync enabled. Generally, 60Hz vsync results in a "floaty" mouse. At 144Hz vsync, it's way more snappy and immediate.

It's the two factors combined that make high refresh rates feel much better for many people. It seems you're only feeling one of them (lower input lag), so I guess the overall improvement is diminished. We'll never know why you don't feel the improved motion of high Hz, but to me (and many other people), the jump from 60FPS to 120FPS is exactly the same as the jump from 30FPS to 60FPS. When you play at 30FPS for a while, and then switch to 60FPS, do you get the feeling that everything is just way better (like a LOT better)? Exactly the same thing happens when I go from 60FPS to 120FPS. It really looks a LOT better. This is why you will see so many people consider 120Hz+ to be such a big deal.

You will find people who play at 30FPS all the time, and just like you, will not find 60FPS to be such a big deal. You're basically being that person right now :-) Yes, it's not a big deal to you, which is fine of course, but to many other people, 30 to 60 is a HUGE improvement. In fact, I envy you a bit, because if I too wasn't perceiving the difference as being so large, I wouldn't have to spend money on a high Hz display :D

exigeous

Post by exigeous » 12 Oct 2018, 07:18

I completely understand what you're saying - and also understand your "envy" comment. The good news is I bought the monitor for it's 32:9 aspect ratio and size and for that it's utterly amazing. I'm going to do some more testing as I have some family coming by and I'm going to see if they can see the difference.

exigeous

Post by exigeous » 13 Oct 2018, 02:20

Well it seems to be a mix of "me and meh". I had some family over today, including my 20 year old gamer nephew. He's not PC master race, rather Xbox, and usually plays FPS games. Had him play some Doom on it for a bit (he plays on a "good" Samsung 1080p TV at home) and when I pointed it out and asked him his comment was "yeah, I suppose it looks smoother when I move around quickly". We also drove a bit in Project Cars 2 and that was his same comment.

I guess I'm still baffled by the comments of people that see this amazing difference as at this point I'm sure enough it's working and that it's just that I'm not impressed. In a few weeks a friend is coming by to visit who has a 144hz display himself and thinks I'm nuts that I can't tell - he'll be the final word in "is it working or not" - or I just need to get a high frame rate camera so I can work it out scientifically, right?

Again thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Oct 2018, 09:19

exigeous wrote:yeah, I suppose it looks smoother when I move around quickly
I guess I'm still baffled by the comments of people that see this amazing difference as at this point I'm sure enough it's working and that it's just that I'm not impressed.
Same thing as 30FPS vs 60FPS. Some people say "yeah, it's a bit smoother", but "meh" overall and there's really no big deal. 30FPS is already close to perfect, no need to go higher.

When hearing the above, I am scratching my head of course, but as already mentioned, people see what they see.

exigeous

Post by exigeous » 13 Oct 2018, 17:21

RealNC wrote:
exigeous wrote:yeah, I suppose it looks smoother when I move around quickly
I guess I'm still baffled by the comments of people that see this amazing difference as at this point I'm sure enough it's working and that it's just that I'm not impressed.
Same thing as 30FPS vs 60FPS. Some people say "yeah, it's a bit smoother", but "meh" overall and there's really no big deal. 30FPS is already close to perfect, no need to go higher.

When hearing the above, I am scratching my head of course, but as already mentioned, people see what they see.
I'll tell you one place I am straight up lucky - I can play VR games at 45 fps and it looks perfectly smooth to me. On my new 2080 Ti that means pretty much everything at ultra and I can hit that very solid.

Kosmos

Post by Kosmos » 13 Oct 2018, 23:38

1. You were rude for posting free help don't forget that and got a deserved reply. You didn't call me out on anything.
2. First you say it was addressed in your first post. Then you change it to the entire thread. Then you start calling yourself "we" as if clumsily trying to feign a collective opinion lol.
3. I removed my posts because you don't need more input with this attitude. Either way you seem to be more focused on your kneejerk egotism than realizing it was actually something else.
4. You're hilarious and sad for thinking this is some internet fight you can desperately try to claim victory in :lol: that just says everything about you doesn't it?
5. Seems like you're still where you started hmm how about that

Learn your lesson that not everything is your trashtalk teamspeak 'kay and grow up.
exigeous wrote:
Kosmos wrote:You can't even keep your story straight lmao :lol: I'm glad you are stuck with your problems since you can't even ask for help like a proper human being. Be a toxic entitled idiot elsewhere :roll:
Nice try there buddy, I'm toxic after calling you out for being a douche, riiiiiiight. "Story straight", WTF are you even talking about? My "story", not sure why you're calling it that, is simple - to verify if I 144hz is actually working or not - and we've determined (through some of the helpful comments here) that it is working and I simply had unreal expectations.

Also funny you're trying to call me now and that you've actually deleted your first post (that I quoted pointing out how less than helpful it was) only to then attack me - but I'm being toxic and entitled. Riiiiiiight, seems you're third fail in this post but thanks again for playing - I'll look forward to you giving me another laugh if you wanna do so a fourth time. Or you can just calm down and go away so the thread can remain helpful, as it was until you arrived, for others. Something tells me you won't.