Good Display for PS4 Competitive FPS Gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bwxy

Good Display for PS4 Competitive FPS Gaming

Post by bwxy » 14 Oct 2018, 14:45

I found this forum by googling about the blur and overshoot artifacts on LCD displays.

I have a ViewSonic VX2776-smhd, I bought it very randomly without any in-depth research, only checked Display-Lag database.
Right away I have started noticing drawbacks in the form either motion blur on the "Standard" pixel-response time setting or very bad overshoot artifacts on "Advanced" and "Ultra Fast" settings.

I believe that blur and overshoot artifacts have some impact on how fast I can process the action that is happening on screen and how fast I can correct my aim in gun-fights in response to opponent movements.

I have read this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3585
It is the reason why I'm here.

After reading that thread I can see one viable option: getting BenQ XL2720Z that is 60Hz single-strobe-capable. But it is said in the thread that eliminating traces have drawback of increasing input lag. But it's not said by how much.

But maybe I don't need such overkill option, maybe my VX2776 is very bad and some other better display will be enough for me.

I have found this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/phi ... 6vbpab.htm monitor and I really like it, because screen size does matter for me and it promises low input lag with such screen. But I know that it will not be used for 4k. Also I don't know if it has the same low input lag in 1080p. Frankly I don't even know if it's good with response time and blur. Review says that it has low input lag, but it does not specifically says that 1080p mode has the same low input lag that 4k has. Review says that response time is good, but I don't know how it compares to my VX2776.

I do like that there is one HDMI slot, because I heard stories about TVs where one HDMI has more lag than the other.
It is just so frustrating that as user I can't measure real input delay of my whole system. I wish there was some way.

I'm looking for guidance, should I buy Philips 436M6VBPAB, will it be better than my VX2776 in terms of response time?

Should instead go for BenQ XL2720Z?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Good Display for PS4 Competitive FPS Gaming

Post by RealNC » 15 Oct 2018, 11:06

The ViewSonic VX2776-smhd is a non-gaming IPS monitor, so yeah, it has more motion blur.

The Philips sounds good to me. As for 1080p, doesn't the PS4 have an upscaling option? That way, the monitor will run at 4K. Also, 4K is more future-proof. You might get a PS5 in the future, which will be focused on 4K.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

bwxy

Re: Good Display for PS4 Competitive FPS Gaming

Post by bwxy » 15 Oct 2018, 13:15

RealNC wrote:The Philips sounds good to me. As for 1080p, doesn't the PS4 have an upscaling option?
No, I don't think so.

Review says:
The screen is 16:9 in format and so most of the time you are going to be fine outputting at this aspect ratio and filing the screen, either at the full native 3840 x 2160 resolution or at a lower resolution like 1920 x 1080 that can just be scaled up to full screen anyway without issue. You will benefit from the very low lag then in those instances.
But they never specifically mention that 1080p mode has the same low input lag, this monitor is pretty pricey, so I really want to be sure.
They also don't specify if their input lag test was conducted in 4k or/and 1080p mode.