[HELP] New BenQ XL2546 Dead Pixel (Purchased 3 Days Ago)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MrFriendism

[HELP] New BenQ XL2546 Dead Pixel (Purchased 3 Days Ago)

Post by MrFriendism » 17 Oct 2018, 12:21

Hello, I have purchased BenQ XL2546 from Amazon 3 days ago and I did some Pixel Tests. I found a Dead Pixel on the Monitor.

Please help me with the troubleshooting, fixed and any other tests which are to be done to check if something else is wrong with the monitor or not?

I am attaching the photo below:

P.S.: I am looking for Chief's help too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [HELP] New BenQ XL2546 Dead Pixel (Purchased 3 Days Ago)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2018, 13:03

Usually single dead pixels are not an RMA situation.

However, Amazon does have a generous return guarantee, which does work in your favour. Shipping a monitor back is expensive though since it won't be covered under the warranty policy which often requires several dead pixels or clustered dead pixels, in order to qualify for warranty.

There is actually industry standards, ISO 13406-2 and ISO 9241, and right now your monitor is below standard warranty trigger.

Most people who get 1 dead pixel simply tolerate it (keep the monitor), but it depends on the nature of the dead pixel and how visible it is (e.g. a faint pixel on white backgrounds, or a bright pixel on black background)

That said, Amazon has generous return policies, and the monitor will probably be resold as-is, being a functioning monitor with dead pixels well within warranty specifications. Any replacements you get may still have the problem, there is no guarantee. Your main cost will be the time inconvenience and any shipping/restocking cost with Amazon.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 17 Oct 2018, 13:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Usually single dead pixels are not an RMA situation.

However, Amazon does have a generous return guarantee, which does work in your favour. Shipping a monitor back is expensive though since it won't be covered under the warranty policy which often requires several dead pixels or clustered dead pixels, in order to qualify for warranty.

There is actually industry standards, ISO 13406-2 and ISO 9241, and right now your monitor is below warranty trigger.
Thanks for the reply Chief. Is there any troubleshooting I can do to fix the pixel?

Also, This is the new monitor. Could you tell me the tests I should do with the new monitor to check if there is something wrong with it (apart from dead-pixel)?

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2018, 13:13

Before deciding to keep or return the monitor -- you may try to carefully "massage" the pixel (put a sheet of paper on the screen and then scrub gently with your fingernail, don't press to hard), and play test patterns that rapidly cycle the pixel -- either a video or a TestUFO.com test.

Google "How to fix a dead pixel" brings up lots of HOWTOs, most will not work, but there are utilities (Undead Pixel) that can try to help you. Unfortunately your pixel is a stuck white-on-black, which is much harder to fix than stuck colored-on-white. For your type of dead pixel -- your odds are only maybe ~10% if that. Be prepared to live with it, or accept the cost of Amazon's otherwise generous return policy :(
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 17 Oct 2018, 13:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Before deciding to keep or return the monitor -- you may try to carefully "massage" the pixel (put a sheet of paper on the screen and then scrub gently with your fingernail, don't press to hard), and play test patterns that rapidly cycle the pixel -- either a video or a TestUFO.com test.

Google "How to fix a dead pixel" brings up lots of HOWTOs, most will not work, but there are utilities (Undead Pixel) that can try to help you. Unfortunately your pixel is a stuck white-on-black, which is much harder to fix than stuck colored-on-white. For your type of dead pixel -- your odds are only maybe ~10% if that. Be prepared to live with it, or accept the cost of Amazon's otherwise generous return policy :(
Yeah, I am running the UnDead Pixel right now.

Its GREEN color Pixel on Every Background.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2018, 13:18

Green color subpixel stuck on? Well, that's better odds than a fullwhite pixel on black (3 stuck subpixels means a more major defect).

Hope you have success resurrecting the pixel even if it's only a longshot (I'm guesstimating 10-20% odds for fixing a single-subpixel defect, but I would not be surprised if the odds are longer shot than that).... keep us tuned!

But please, be careful with physical massaging of the LCD panel because too much pressure leads to damage that voids warranty.

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 18 Oct 2018, 11:00

Thanks. I wanted to ask you one thing. I'm not really sure if the new unit which would come will have the better condition or more worst condition (replacement of Amazon).

Do you think, I should keep this unit and can live with dead-pixel?

I mean, Dead Pixels are not a problem if it can be ignored (because it's location is very near to the end of the panel) where I would hardly see when playing?

Please advice me genuinely.

darzo

Post by darzo » 18 Oct 2018, 14:34

Amazon will charge you very little for shipping. Replace or return without worry.

MrFriendism

Post by MrFriendism » 18 Oct 2018, 18:29

They are charging me zero amount for replacement.

The question is I am not sure about the quality of replacement.

darzo

Post by darzo » 18 Oct 2018, 20:54

Just take it. If it's defective you go again or just return it.