HP Omen 25

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
John_Stewart

HP Omen 25

Post by John_Stewart » 03 Nov 2018, 07:20

Hi everyone, newbie here :mrgreen:

I just got this monitor which some places (with Reddit leading the way of course) claim to have frameskipping at 144hz. So I tried it out just now and don't see anything. Pics are taken at 1/10th second exposure time. Hope this is right. Used a DisplayPort cable, of course.

Just wanted to share this with you. If there's anything else I can do, just tell me.
Attachments
DSC_3120y.jpg
DSC_3120y.jpg (235.7 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
DSC_3116y.jpg
DSC_3116y.jpg (246.56 KiB) Viewed 3034 times

John_Stewart

Re: HP Omen 25

Post by John_Stewart » 03 Nov 2018, 07:33

General impression so far is good.

As a former console peasant, my only noteworthy monitor before this one was a 72hz IPS model. Going "back" from IPS to TN is a somewhat jarring experience in the color department, but I'm more than willing to take it for the high refresh rate. :D

The monitor has, for my taste, very little trailing except when you set "Response Time" to "Level 5 (Fastest)". Then it's extremely noticable... whoever thought that would be a viable option for anyone. I seem to be very sensitive to trailing/overshoot which is why I've never been too convinced with the 144hz VA-Panels my friends have.

There's one downside which I don't know the name of. When I move my eyes across the screen in Overwatch, I can slightly see vertical lines. Like horizontal scanlines but not as strong. :?:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Nov 2018, 09:19

John_Stewart wrote:Pics are taken at 1/10th second exposure time. Hope this is right.
The more exposure time you give it, the better. 0.1s is better than 0.05s, but 0.2 is even better.
John_Stewart wrote:As a former console peasant, my only noteworthy monitor before this one was a 72hz IPS model. Going "back" from IPS to TN is a somewhat jarring experience in the color department, but I'm more than willing to take it for the high refresh rate. :D
There's high refresh IPS and VA monitors out there too :-) I'm on a 165Hz IPS myself.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

John_Stewart

Post by John_Stewart » 19 Nov 2018, 10:29

I tried overclocking the monitor today. First try was 160hz which it properly did according to the testufo-site. But unfortunately the monitor gives out a message that the input is out of range and therefore goes to sleep.

Is there anything I can do about it?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Nov 2018, 09:41

John_Stewart wrote:Is there anything I can do about it?
Other than trying out different timings (LCD native, LCD standard, LCD reduced), no. It takes time to find the highest Hz the monitor can go. 160Hz might have the warning, 159 might not. Usually you try it steps of 10Hz, and then bisect. So next would be 150Hz, if that works, then you try 155, if that doesn't work, then you try 153, etc. And every time you need to try all three possible timings (standard, native, reduced.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.