Factors affecting PC monitor responsiveness

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Black Octagon

Factors affecting PC monitor responsiveness

Post by Black Octagon » 19 Dec 2013, 15:54

Article: http://pcmonitors.info/articles/factors ... onsiveness

Input lag. Signal delay. Pixel response time. Refresh rate. Sample and hold. PWM. LightBoost. G-Sync.

Perhaps you've heard the terms. You might even have a decent idea what they mean. However, can you define them precisely?

Better yet, do you understand how they contribute - and INTER-RELATE - to affect the responsiveness of your monitor?

I couldn't. At least, not as well as I would have liked. Until, at least, I read this long-awaited article by the awesome Adam Simmons (A.K.A. PCM2 of OCUK). With contributions from Mark of...these very boards!
Enjoy!

P.S., for those too lazy-ass useless to read the whole thing, my personal main take-away is - bring on OLED with G-Sync and low persistence support for high framerate scenarios!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Factors affecting PC monitor responsiveness

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2013, 17:57

Yes, Adam contacted me to verify his article for correctness. He put a lot of effort in this article!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chickenfeed

Post by Chickenfeed » 30 Dec 2013, 11:35

Very comprehensive write up :)

Often used them as a resource over the years to compare displays and its great to see
them get even more down into the nitty gritty of things.
Feedanator 6.0
CASE:FT02B|PSU:AX850|CPU:i7 4770K|Mobo:Z87 Pro|Ram:8x2GB GSkill 2400|GPU:SLI GTX 780 3GB|HD:M4 128GB+256GB/F1 1TB|SOUND:Titanium HD,PC350|LCD:VG248QE/QH270-lite|OS:Win8 x64 Pro|INPUT:SS Sensei /w HD9/DasUltSilent|COOLING:H80

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Dec 2013, 14:44

Chickenfeed wrote:Very comprehensive write up :)
Often used them as a resource over the years to compare displays and its great to see
them get even more down into the nitty gritty of things.
Another article I've helped with, is TFTCentral's Motion Blur Reduction Backlights article.

I am contacting other sites, to see if they'd be interested in having me as a guest writer (even if I don't post any Blur Buster links). One of the mainstream sites might be involved. With the upcoming expansion in next-generation strobe backlight technologies arriving after LightBoost (e.g. BENQ Z-series, etc), more mainstream coverage is needed about low-persistence LCD's using motion-blur-eliminating backlight technologies.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!