IPS 4ms vs TN 1ms

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: IPS 4ms vs TN 1ms

Post by RealNC » 25 Nov 2018, 05:07

xCODIx wrote:I'll keep my eye out for this new one!
My current monitor hasn't exactly left the best taste in my mouth but it seems Asus has stepped up their game since the release of my monitor.

Which monitor are you currently using?
XG2703-GS.

Also, I would not consider 1080p 240Hz IPS as useful to wait for. 1440p is the current sweet spot resolution, and it looks very good in games. The whole 240Hz thing is, IMO, a complete waste of time unless you're an eSports person who doesn't play anything else than 240FPS games.

Also note that you always have viewing angle issues. Even if you're sitting straight in front of the monitor, you have viewing angle issues, because anything else than the center of the screen is viewed at an angle. For example, on a TN panel, anything that moves over the screen vertically changes colors as it moves.

The pcmonitors.info video review of the IPS I use has a demonstration in it about this issue, and talks a bit about the pros and cons of IPS vs the pros and cons of TN:

https://youtu.be/bYKUFNSya_Y?t=490
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

xCODIx

Post by xCODIx » 25 Nov 2018, 12:54

RealNC wrote:
xCODIx wrote:I'll keep my eye out for this new one!
My current monitor hasn't exactly left the best taste in my mouth but it seems Asus has stepped up their game since the release of my monitor.

Which monitor are you currently using?
XG2703-GS.

Also, I would not consider 1080p 240Hz IPS as useful to wait for. 1440p is the current sweet spot resolution, and it looks very good in games. The whole 240Hz thing is, IMO, a complete waste of time unless you're an eSports person who doesn't play anything else than 240FPS games.

Also note that you always have viewing angle issues. Even if you're sitting straight in front of the monitor, you have viewing angle issues, because anything else than the center of the screen is viewed at an angle. For example, on a TN panel, anything that moves over the screen vertically changes colors as it moves.

The pcmonitors.info video review of the IPS I use has a demonstration in it about this issue, and talks a bit about the pros and cons of IPS vs the pros and cons of TN:

https://youtu.be/bYKUFNSya_Y?t=490
Yeah, you're probably right. In my opinion, 1080p probably has a few years left of relevance at legitimate options to buy, I could be totally wrong about that though.

I want to wait for the ROG Swift PG279QZ, props to you for mentioning that, I'm hoping it's going to be released this month for the holidays and not early next year.

What's the best way to get notification on release dates for monitors??

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 20 Jan 2019, 11:02

Would love to see a review for Asus vg279q.
If performance is good, it would be a very good option for gaming.
27'' 1080p is fine for games and movies.
I would like to have one but in 24 or 25'' though.