Alienware aw2518hf fuzzy / pixelated / Washed Out

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
joedup83

Alienware aw2518hf fuzzy / pixelated / Washed Out

Post by joedup83 » 28 Nov 2018, 07:20

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help as I've been looking on the web and not finding any solutions.

I recently bought the Alienware AW2518HF (Freesync) monitor and I'm running it on a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics With Desktop Level Performance (*note it is on a ASUS FX502VM laptop) GPU. I'm using a DP to mini-DP cable for the output (but problem occurs on HDMI cable too).

When running games like Battlefield V, PUBG, Witcher 3, etc the cinematic and loading screens have this fuzzy / snowy appearance. I've tried 240Hz and 144Hz output but no change (Even 60Hz does the exact same thing).

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my monitor. I'm not seeing this effect in-game, but that's probably cause there's too many colors changing too fast.

I've tried all the Alienware monitor presets like normal, FPS, Game 1, etc. but nothing seems to fix it.

On my windows taskbar the bar would actually look pixelated too (like tiny white and grey dots on a black bar) - Have a look at the attached screenshot. The Taskbar is a solid Black. This only happens on my Alienware monitor. The moment I make my laptop the primary monitor, it's gone. Even my windows wallpaper (generic Microsoft ones) look much clearer and crisp on my laptop display vs the Alienware.
I've also attached a screenshot from Battlefield V Cinematic... You'll see how all the black colours are more like pixelated grey's.

Any ideas?

T.I.A!

PS: let me know if you need further details to try troubleshoot.
Attachments
Cinematic
Cinematic
Cinematic.png (255.37 KiB) Viewed 14896 times
Taskbar
Taskbar
Taskbar.png (151.45 KiB) Viewed 14896 times

pox02

Re: Alienware aw2518hf fuzzy / pixelated / Washed Out

Post by pox02 » 29 Nov 2018, 11:11

try use this timings its fix most blackscreen/issues on this monitor the problem on this monitor that is so fast that cause some pixelrated/fuzzy/white lines/etc Image
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Nov 2018, 16:49

joedup83 -- Would it be possible to post full size images on imgur or another image host? I'd like to zoom into these images.

pox02 -- thanks for your observations! It's incredible how common that minor timings tweaks can fix certain kinds of monitor issues.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

joedup83

Post by joedup83 » 30 Nov 2018, 01:18

Morning Gents.

Thank you for the feedback. Just an update in the interim, I contacted Dell Support with this exact details, and they are sending a replacement. So may be hardware related - will see what the 2nd screen does.

@pox02 - Thanks I'll definitely try that on my current screen as it would be interesting to see the changes. How did you get to those setting (please if you don't mind me asking like a noob)? I can only find it in my Nvidia Control Panel, but even then I don't have half of your options.

@Chief Blur Buster - I've uploaded the full size images. They are:

https://imgur.com/plSlNTE

https://imgur.com/X7h245q

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how the 2nd screen goes too. But I definitely want to try the above suggestions before the new one arrives.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2018, 02:34

joedup83 wrote: @pox02 - Thanks I'll definitely try that on my current screen as it would be interesting to see the changes. How did you get to those setting (please if you don't mind me asking like a noob)? I can only find it in my Nvidia Control Panel, but even then I don't have half of your options.
That's ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility.

NVIDIA Control Panel has the same stuff -- in the "Create Custom Resolution". That's where the extra fields show up. For information about these weird numbers, I've posted some info in the Custom Resolution Utility Glossary
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

joedup83

Post by joedup83 » 30 Nov 2018, 07:12

Thank you very much!

My new screen just arrived, but will go test these tonight on the old screen before I have to ship it back to Dell.

Thanks again!

joedup83

Post by joedup83 » 01 Dec 2018, 02:37

Morning Gents.

Quick update:

I received my new monitor yesterday and had the exact same issue as with the old. Even tried a new HDMI and DP cable. So I reckon it's safe to safe it's GPU / Screen incompatibility.

I did however try @pox02's suggestion (after downloading ToastyX) and it made a huge difference! So big thank you gents. You both helped so much as there's huge improvement on on all the black / dark colours now. Screen actually looks more crisp.

I get to troubleshoot the next issue now which seems to be (what I think is) horizontal "tearing" - I guess?
I uploaded in case you gents have ideas / suggestions? Look specifically at the green mask to see the horizontal lines (full screen video) and the flickering.

https://imgur.com/QQd2sPe

Thanks gents, for ALL the help. You've been awesome!

pox02

Post by pox02 » 01 Dec 2018, 03:51

seems you got bad panel again try reduce vertical 1 by 1 until you found good spot to reduce the tearing or get a amd gpu and use freesync
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

moshuuuu

Post by moshuuuu » 02 Jan 2019, 12:58

Hi guys i have the exact monitor and i dont know if he has a problem..or something else? ..i got 2 black screens for 1 second in 2 weeks! ...recomand to keep it or to return it?

slawter

Post by slawter » 07 Dec 2019, 04:35

joedup83 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 02:37
Morning Gents.

Quick update:

I received my new monitor yesterday and had the exact same issue as with the old. Even tried a new HDMI and DP cable. So I reckon it's safe to safe it's GPU / Screen incompatibility.

I did however try @pox02's suggestion (after downloading ToastyX) and it made a huge difference! So big thank you gents. You both helped so much as there's huge improvement on on all the black / dark colours now. Screen actually looks more crisp.

I get to troubleshoot the next issue now which seems to be (what I think is) horizontal "tearing" - I guess?
I uploaded in case you gents have ideas / suggestions? Look specifically at the green mask to see the horizontal lines (full screen video) and the flickering.

https://imgur.com/QQd2sPe

Thanks gents, for ALL the help. You've been awesome!
Hi joedup83, can you tell me please what you did? I have the same monitor and the image quality is sooo bad -.-' I had an HP monitor with an IPS panel and that monitor had better image quality for a half of a price then this new dell aw2518hf...