Alienware AW2518HF Freesync blue-tinted ghosting at 240hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
LordsnLadies

Re: Alienware AW2518HF Freesync blue-tinted ghosting at 240h

Post by LordsnLadies » 01 Feb 2019, 14:01

So I figured out the issue behind the intensified ghosting past 200Hz, it occurs when freesync is disabled. With nvidia allowing freesync support at the driver level i was able to force gsync compatibility on and saw that its now uniform across all refresh rates in terms of ghosting.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 02 Feb 2019, 18:17

pox02 wrote:So weird i never had any motion blur on this monitor only white lines when i go super fast overdrive its amazing monitor i tell you that did you try contect dell for firmware update ? Could be you using old firmware that cause all the issues
This is why I told you the Asus XG248q runs circles around my AW2518hf because I have not only this problem but also awful overshoot on bright colours! Seems it drpends on each sample

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 07 Feb 2019, 10:22

Own this monitor.
You have 2 options:

1) Enable g-sync or freesync.

2) Create a 240hz LCD-REDUCED base resolution using CRU. It eliminates all the problems but some people reported that it introduces frameskip. I've tested here with Galaxy S9+ super slow motion (960fps I guess) and got none.

I believe the first also reduced the input lag. It's crazy but it also happened with Battle(non)sense test.

Sorry for the poor quality... I had to hold the cam with one hand and do the things with the other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmtJgvmd21M

davidoo

Post by davidoo » 13 Nov 2019, 17:10

andrelip wrote:Own this monitor.
You have 2 options:

2) Create a 240hz LCD-REDUCED base resolution using CRU. It eliminates all the problems but some people reported that it introduces frameskip. I've tested here with Galaxy S9+ super slow motion (960fps I guess) and got none.

I believe the first also reduced the input lag. It's crazy but it also happened with Battle(non)sense test.

Sorry for the poor quality... I had to hold the cam with one hand and do the things with the other:

Regarding solution 2)

How are the timings and such supposed to look inside CRU? If you can take a screenshot, or something. I would be very grateful!

EDIT: CRU -> LCD reduced -> 239.760 - > reboot. In case anyone else needs it.
Last edited by davidoo on 15 Nov 2019, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

<blank>

Post by <blank> » 14 Nov 2019, 02:32

Idk my panel looks flawless. I knew there was going to be blur issues cause pixels cant possibly refresh fast enough on fast swipes. I went for this monitor to get low input lag and pixel response time. I dont play competitive fps games so thats completely non issue to me.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 18 Dec 2019, 01:56

davidoo wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 17:10
andrelip wrote:Own this monitor.
You have 2 options:

Regarding solution 2)

How are the timings and such supposed to look inside CRU? If you can take a screenshot, or something. I would be very grateful!

EDIT: CRU -> LCD reduced -> 239.760 - > reboot. In case anyone else needs it.
Hello friend, sorry for my english. I bought this monitor recently, and I would like to understand what these settings are for the CRU you cited. What better? Does it have any consequences as input lag increases

davidoo

Re: Alienware AW2518HF Freesync blue-tinted ghosting at 240hz

Post by davidoo » 19 Dec 2019, 19:29

Hi!

The settings does so that you can use the setting super fast on the monitor (and supposedly fixes some blur/ghosting issues)

But after trying it out, i prefer the standard completely default setting. Its fast enough. But you can try and see what you prefer :)
It's quite simple and easy to reverse.

I dont think it changes the input lag at all (someone correct me if im wrong).

i would recommend either default or fast, depending on your preference. to clarify I dont think fixing the value makes the monitor better, but im not sure.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 23 Dec 2019, 20:28

Thanks!!!

Anybody know? Should I test these CRU settings? No window appears 239hz for me. But I never used this RAW, I can't move!

Themannwithaplan

Post by Themannwithaplan » 05 Jan 2020, 18:25

I have the g sync variant of this monitor and I'm experiencing issues as well. The coronas and such dont really bother me. But what does is the clarity of the image when I'm really moving fast in a fps shooter. It's super smooth if I move kind of at a average rate but if I flick back and fourth it looks like there are 5 duplicates of every object in the scene... drives me nuts because I do a lot of fast 180 movements and very fast flicks... is this just a normal thing that all monitors do? I was hoping to get solid clarity in images when I moved up to 250hz... and before anyone says, I tried using the ulmb motion blur tech and 120hz and still had a blurry mess when I move erratically... I was planning on buying the viewsonic xg270 because of it's much newer 240hz ips panel. But got the alienware for a steal over the holidays so I couldnt say no... if this is a issue with most 240hz models would the viewsonic at least be better? Not perfect but just a touch better clarity is all i need...