144/240Hz Monitor Dilemma

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Cassie`

144/240Hz Monitor Dilemma

Post by Cassie` » 05 Dec 2018, 11:55

Hi all,

I've been a short time lurker here at BlurBusters and love the amount of information available regarding high specced monitors. I've scoured the forums in search for a monitor particular to my needs but I'm not settled on one without doubt/concerns. I currently have a Dell E193FP monitor that I've been using since 2005. It's a 75Hz 19" monitor with a 1280*1024 max resolution. (Yes primitive hardware compared to todays standards!)

I primarily play fast paced FPS games such as Unreal Tournament (1999), UT4, some Fortnite and some casual EVE Online from time to time. Some games I drop the settings to achieve high frame rates. An observation I've come to know is less tearing on Unreal Tournament with 180FPS @ 75Hz than 75FPS @ 75Hz. Not sure how that works yet.

I've been searching for either a 144Hz or 240Hz monitor to replace my ageing Dell. In terms of priority, it's as follows:

1) Low Input Lag/Delay
2) Low/minimal Motion Blur
3) Either a Freesync/Adaptive or NO SYNC monitor as I do not want to pay an extreme premium for GSYNC especially while I'm only using AMD cards.
4) 1080P is good enough however 1440p I'm willing to consider.
5) 23/24" panel is fine. Any higher then I'd expect a 1440p panel to avoid a grainy looking screen.

I live in the UK so my budget is somewhere around £350. I'm willing to stretch this to some degree given that the quality of panel i.e. low input lag and motion blur exceeds my expectations for what I'm willing to pay for.

Having read through this forum and other sites, every monitor has some issue let it be high input lag or severe motion blur. Whether or not I can get the best of both of those worlds is probably unlikely at this point in time. I've seen all offerings from Asus, Acer, Alienware, BenQ and Viewsonic but given the mixed reviews for each model I'm hesitant to pull the trigger without some sort of expert opinions on the available panels.

I would love some suggestions on which monitors would be worth looking at purchasing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 144/240Hz Monitor Dilemma

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2018, 12:24

Your Dell has a 16ms response time, very slow. That adds a lot of lag, in addition to monitor processing lag.
In addition, 16ms GtG also adds noticeable motion blur that even the worst 144Hz and 240Hz monitors will not match.
Cassie wrote: An observation I've come to know is less tearing on Unreal Tournament with 180FPS @ 75Hz than 75FPS @ 75Hz. Not sure how that works yet.
That's because you get more tearlines of smaller offsets. See Advantage #3 of Are There Advantages to Frame Rates Higher Than the Refresh Rate?
Cassie wrote: 1) Low Input Lag/Delay
2) Low/minimal Motion Blur
3) Either a Freesync/Adaptive or NO SYNC monitor as I do not want to pay an extreme premium for GSYNC especially while I'm only using AMD cards.
4) 1080P is good enough however 1440p I'm willing to consider.
5) 23/24" panel is fine. Any higher then I'd expect a 1440p panel to avoid a grainy looking screen.
1) Most monitors will likely have less lag than your Dell
2) That's almost guaranteed now even without a blur reduction feature, since 240fps@240Hz has 1/3rd the motion blur of 75fps@75Hz. Double the refresh rate has half the motion blur. Any terribleness in blur will just eat into that margin. Might mean it may not be the world's clearest 144Hz or 240Hz but much clearer than your 75Hz. Ideally, you want to get the best.
3) The GSYNC premium also covers clearer motion and better overdrive in non-GSYNC mode. More GSYNC monitors have a blur-reducing feature than FreeSync. Historically there was a tiny bit less lag, about 2ms less lag too, having been more well lag optimized. But this is less often the case now. Many FreeSync monitors are certainly getting better and some are better than the worst GSYNC, especially FreeSync 2. but it's worth noting that the GSYNC premium covered other monitor engineering other than GSYNC VRR itself too.
4) I would agree for your specific case, if you're used to 1280x1024 for so long, then 1080p would be enough
5) 24" should be no problem for you.

Even the few-millisecond differences between 240Hz monitors. The spread between all of them in their best lowest-lag mode is only a few milliseconds apart, like 4ms apart. Which is nothing compared to your 16ms GtG + processing lag (probably another 16ms). So even the worst 240Hz monitor will still feel much less laggier than your existing monitor.

You'll get far less motion blur, in nearly all cases. Remember people on forum post more often when unhappy about something about their monitor -- some monitors may have 100 happy users who never post but 1 unhappy user that post on forums. So, the definition of "Severe" motion blur can still be superior to your monitor at 75Hz. You'll be extremely pleasantly surprised.

For you I'd suggest sticking to near 24" or 25" territory, the dramatic size change from 19" to 27" may affect performance. If you're used to 1280x1024, then 1920x1080 will certainly be an upgrade in all aspects.

If you're sticking to 144Hz and also want access to motion blur reduction options, the BenQ Zowie XL2411P gives you a huge amount of flexibility there. 144Hz and 240Hz is extremely minor compared to getting away from your monitor, so whether you think it is worth the premium, is up to you.

A good FreeSync-capable 240Hz model would be the ViewSonic XG2530 which is in your budget (UK 300 pounds). No blur reduction, but 240fps@240Hz (1ms GtG) is about 3x clearer than good 75Hz (1ms GtG), and probably roughly 4x-5x clearer motion at full framerate than your 75Hz (16ms GtG).

If you want a 240Hz option that also has blur reduction option, both the GSYNC and FreeSync options are almost the same price in your country as the ASUS ROG XG248Q (FreeSync) and ASUS ROG PG248Q (GSYNC) .... Engineering blur reduction can sometimes get expensive sometimes and gives FreeSync a cost-premium too (The GSYNC cost premium isn't that bad after all, when you consider it paid for the engineering of a blur reduction mode on these models too). Both of these are a little bit above your budget.

Summary:
- If colors are more important, ViewSonic tends to have better colors than BenQ.
- If even a 1ms to 2ms improvement in lag is important, the BenQ tends to be more well lag-optimized.
- If you really want 240Hz AND also having a blur reduction mode (strobed mode), for the ultimate in motion clarity, then prepare to spend above your budget. Still, even the high Hz will be good blur reduction already for you.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shekel

Post by shekel » 06 Dec 2018, 13:08

I've done no research on these models but there's some 240Hz monitors for 200-230 GBP @ Laptopsdirect.co.uk, (a few of them are refurbished). They seem to have these "deals" quite frequently so you should check back every few days, I managed to buy 144 Hz monitor for 150 GBP when it was going for over 210 on other shops.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2018, 19:59

BTW, while you can buy from anywhere like laptopsdirect -- I should mention, to support Blur Busters, the operation of the sites and all the advice that I give -- I do encourage people to shop via the monitor lists below which goes via affiliates. The links will also go to amazon.co.uk automatically.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ixenovia

Post by ixenovia » 07 Dec 2018, 22:27

In my personal opinion, for what I tested and used, with that budget I advice a benq 144hz.
Always in option, the 240hz isnt a must have, I had the pg258q and after that it dead I used for 2 month an old 120hz, and I didnt feel any problem of use it, I didnt feel any miss something I was happy, and now with the xl2546 I am just fine.
Going from 240 to 120 not really much difference, for like the double of the price

Cassie`

Post by Cassie` » 08 Dec 2018, 15:58

Many thanks Chief for your in depth response and everyone else's comments & recommendations!

I agree that anything I get will be a massive upgrade from my 75Hz, whether it's 144Hz or 240Hz.

I was looking at the XG2530 from Viewsonic a couple months ago and almost made the purchase but was a bit reluctant as I couldn't find solid reviews of it like TFTCentral do. I went on Amazon to make the purchase and then I saw this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alienware-AW25 ... hz+monitor

It's the Alienware AW2518HF and it's currently going for £250 which is an absolute STEAL for a 240Hz Freesync monitor! It does not have motion blur However since it wasn't mentioned in this thread by anyone yet I'd like to know for this price, if there's a solid reason to NOT get it?

This is well within budget and I've heard quite good things about it. Just nothing professional or expert as of yet.

I've browsed around this forum and found a user who has commented highly of it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3922

Please let me know your thoughts!

@ Chief Blur Buster, I'm trying to find a link to redirect me from your site to this alienware monitor on Amazon with the above price listing but cant seem to get it to work? I'd love to help with your site.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2018, 16:58

Cassie` wrote:@ Chief Blur Buster, I'm trying to find a link to redirect me from your site to this alienware monitor on Amazon with the above price listing but cant seem to get it to work? I'd love to help with your site.
For links to Amazon from the forums
Just click -- the above link directly. You post any Amazon link on the forums, and you can click from these forums. Every Amazon link posted by forum users, as long as they're clicked on from forums, automatically supports Blur Busters. The Blur Busters affiliation is automatically added.

For links to Amazon from the monitor lists
For monitors that are also available in UK, and if you're clicking from UK... It will now automatically redirect to "amazon.co.uk" even though hovering over the link shows "amazon.com". (Click link directly, rather than open in new tab / new window).

….

Speaking of which, UK 250 is a great price for 240 Hz in your country!