ASUS VG278HE - Flickering

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Draculz

ASUS VG278HE - Flickering

Post by Draculz » 09 Dec 2018, 06:06

I just noticed, that my monitor ASUS VG278HE is flickering at under 100% brightness.

as shown on that video:

phpBB [video]

Anyone have any idea how to fix it without set monitor brightness to 100% ?

Thanks.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: ASUS VG278HE - Flickering

Post by RealNC » 09 Dec 2018, 22:32

That's not something you can fix. The monitor flickers because that's how brightness is controlled with PWM backlights. 100% means the backlight is always on. If you reduce brightness, the backlight will start to switch on and off at a specific frequency in order to produce less light on total. The backlight in such monitors is unable to actually reduce its brightness. It can be either full 100% bright, or completely dark. It can not go in-between, so the only way to reduce brightness is to quickly switch on and off, in other words: flicker.

That's how this monitor works and there's nothing you can do to change that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Draculz

Post by Draculz » 10 Dec 2018, 02:35

Thank you.

Draculz

Post by Draculz » 10 Dec 2018, 02:51

So you recommend me to buy a "Flicker free" monitor?

P.S.

I did some tricky move - set monitor brightness to 100% and lowered brightness in Nvidia control panel to balance :)
No more flickering and brightness not that high.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Dec 2018, 03:14

Well, the flicker on PWM displays is at such a high frequency that it's not visible. There's some information online that PWM backlights can cause eyestrain, but I'm not aware of any actual proof of that.

So I'd say no. It's not worth changing monitor just to get a "flicker-free" one.

PS:
The brightness control in the nvidia panel will probably have negative effects on the image quality. I'd recommend just changing the monitor brightness as usual. IMO, the whole eyestrain thing of PWM flicker seems rather anecdotal.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Draculz

Post by Draculz » 10 Dec 2018, 03:29

Alright :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2018, 13:14

Yes, this is a PWM-dimming behaviour.

However, there may be multiple reasons to upgrade a monitor (e.g. getting VRR, getting 240Hz, getting 1440p IPS, etc) and if you're doing that -- you'll be pleased to know that practically all monitors in the last are all PWM-free now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!