edit

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: Asus XG248Q 240hz - Got one! My impressions

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Dec 2018, 17:17

yehaw wrote:I exchanged two of these, and while I loved the performance, they both had horrid clouding and I got my money back:

And there is another user reporting same issue on the same thread I posted my image. I guess if doesn't bother you, it's a solid monitor, but for me, no way in hell I was keeping that, as most of the games I play have a lot of dark areas. Even in non-dark games, I could see the clouding streaks with hard edges in greyish content. It's the worst I've ever seen and I've been through a ton of monitor over the years. Just be warned for those looking into getting this monitor.

So far I've tested the Alienware 240hz G-Sync, Acer 240hz, the new 23.8" Asus 240hz, and LG 240hz. The best so far that I've had is the LG, that I'm likely going to be keeping. The rest have all been returned. I hated the idea of 27" 1080p, but I was pleasantly surprised with the LG, it's really dam nice. I'm likely going to be ordering the newer MSI, as $350 is a much more reasonable in price, especially with g-sync and the 23.8" asus launched at $350 with no g-sync. When I first posted the bestbuy link, it was $500. :o
Wow that´s some pretty bad/terrible clouding right there! Unlucky! My sample doesn´t have that severe clouding. It has the typical TN clouding columns, but nothing that bothers that much. That clouding right there is completly ridiculous. Maybe I got lucky or...?

I can understand you! If I had 2 of these monitors with such issue I would stay away from it 100% :D The games I play the most are also very dark, mainly Quake Champions; every map is at night time and is a very dark game. If my monitor had that issue it could turn unplayable I guess :) Unlucky mate!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 09 Dec 2018, 17:22

Notty_PT wrote:t has the typical TN clouding column
Clouding "columns" aren't typical, or we'd call them columns not clouds. :lol:

I didn't see that problem on any other 240hz I've tried, only the ASUS. Just warning others before they buy.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Dec 2018, 17:24

yehaw wrote:

I didn't see that problem on any other 240hz I've tried, only the ASUS. Just warning others before they buy.

Maybe an english grammar problem :D What I mean is that it has clouding of course, just like any other TN panel I had/have. But nothing that sticks out that much and defo nothing that affects gameplay!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 09 Dec 2018, 17:26

Notty_PT wrote:
yehaw wrote:

Maybe an english grammar problem :D What I mean is that it has clouding of course, just like any other TN panel I had/have. But nothing that sticks out that much and defo nothing that affects gameplay!
Well, you described exactly the issue I had, columns of clouding. They gave hard edges to the clouding and made it stand out badly, but anyways, it's pointless to debate as it's subjective whether it bothers you or not. And yes, clouding is typical, but typical I've seen are "clouds" or patches that blend in and out, so much less noticeable for me than these strips of clouding that don't blend in well, but stand out. Just leaving the information for others to make their own decision.

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 09 Dec 2018, 17:53

yehaw wrote:So far I've tested the Alienware 240hz G-Sync, Acer 240hz, the new 23.8" Asus 240hz, and LG 240hz. The best so far that I've had is the LG, that I'm likely going to be keeping. The rest have all been returned. I hated the idea of 27" 1080p, but I was pleasantly surprised with the LG, it's really dam nice. I'm likely going to be ordering the newer MSI, as $350 is a much more reasonable in price, especially with g-sync and the 23.8" asus launched at $350 with no g-sync. When I first posted the bestbuy link, it was $500. :o
I almost bought the LG too, since I do appreciate the 27 inch size (we need more 27 inch 240 Hz monitors). But like I said, I'm not much of a competitive gamer anymore. :oops:

Anyway, I'd be weary of the NXG251R potentially being different than the NXG251, unless you know for sure that they're the same. Just saying, because the NXG251 was advertised as being 0.5 ms and the NXG251R is advertised as 1 ms. No idea why they would add an 'R' and double the response time spec, unless it's a different panel entirely (one of the older ones). Could be MSI cashing in on the hype and pulling a quick one on us for all we know (hence the sale price). :!:

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 09 Dec 2018, 18:29

LagBuster wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:Do you have one aswell?
Vega wrote:Actually the MSI is on Bestbuy right now for $349.
AFAIK, no one has confirmed that the NXG251R is the same as the NXG251. And that Bestbuy price does not include taxes. In Europe, the prices include taxes and there's a tendency to go with $1 = 1€ for new products, which isn't true. There's also a price disparity between the European countries, because of differences in tax percentages, logistics, or both.
The MSI website only has the NXG251R listed (not NXG251). It might not be the same thing they showed at Computex since it has the R at the end (sometimes denoting "Retail" for other monitors). That said, $350 for a 240Hz G-Sync display is a steal even if it's the same as current equivalent monitors. I pulled the trigger and should have the monitor in the next few days.

https://us.msi.com/monitor/Oculux-NXG251R.html

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 09 Dec 2018, 19:33

Luckbad wrote:The MSI website only has the NXG251R listed (not NXG251). It might not be the same thing they showed at Computex since it has the R at the end (sometimes denoting "Retail" for other monitors). That said, $350 for a 240Hz G-Sync display is a steal even if it's the same as current equivalent monitors. I pulled the trigger and should have the monitor in the next few days.
Alright, hopefully you'll be able to confirm if it's the same thing or not for people like me that have doubts, but I imagine it's kinda tricky to do that without MSI clarifying things. The 'R' could mean anything or even nothing as far as I'm concerned. As for the response time spec, could be that it is <1 ms as I mentioned in another thread, and that 0.5 ms is only theoretical. :?:

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Dec 2018, 20:40

yehaw wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
yehaw wrote:

Well, you described exactly the issue I had, columns of clouding. They gave hard edges to the clouding and made it stand out badly, but anyways, it's pointless to debate as it's subjective whether it bothers you or not. And yes, clouding is typical, but typical I've seen are "clouds" or patches that blend in and out, so much less noticeable for me than these strips of clouding that don't blend in well, but stand out. Just leaving the information for others to make their own decision.
Well like I said, I defo don´t have the same clouding as you did, that picture is horrible and shows really bad clouding! My monitor doesn´t have anything different from the other TNs I used and have around here. Is impossible to completly avoid clouding on TN, so I don´t think buying another TN would solve the "issue". In your situation it might solve, because your sample was really really bad.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 09 Dec 2018, 23:51

Luckbad wrote:That said, $350 for a 240Hz G-Sync display is a steal even if it's the same as current equivalent monitors. I pulled the trigger and should have the monitor in the next few days.

https://us.msi.com/monitor/Oculux-NXG251R.html
Oh, nice! Please give us a rundown of what you think when you get it if you have time. Bit excited to see how well it does, as these are rumored to have improved viewing angles and colors over current 240hz. Here is the article for anyone wanting to read:
Visitors remarked that it had better viewing angles and brighter colors than other 240 Hz TN panels, so this might be one of the new AUO 0.5ms panel we’ve heard about. Information is still very limited at this time.
It genuinely is very impressive, and I’m not joking when I say that’s a bigger surprise than AMD increasing the Threadripper 2 core-count. The colours seem bright and clear, and there was no discernable hint of discolouration when viewing the display from even the most oblique of angles. I’d heard tell from AOC that the 25-inch TN screens were far better than any previous implementations of the panel tech, even the actually-quite-decent 4K TNs, but I wouldn’t have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes.

DudeDK

Post by DudeDK » 10 Dec 2018, 15:02

Hi

Im on the verge on buying XG248Q , does anybody know how the XG258Q operates, as it is a little cheaper

What can you guys tell?!

Which one has the best input lag? And so on, are they similar in specs

Does the other screen do better

Dont hold back with the info as i want the best one, of these 2 monitors

In 2 days im buying one of them

Thanks in advance
Best Regards